CMK10
Topic Author

Favorite War Fiction Book Concerning Aviation?

Wed May 12, 2004 12:03 pm

Which is your favorite fiction book with a focus on war aircraft? I have to give the nod to Invasion, by Harris. The book is set in the future and its story has the Chinese Army invading the US. There is talk about a new stealth figer called the XF-34 and plenty of talk about other aircraft.
"Traveling light is the only way to fly" - Eric Clapton

IMissPiedmont

RE: Favorite War Fiction Book Concerning Aviation?

Wed May 12, 2004 12:25 pm

I rather enjoy the Dale Brown Dreamland series. The later Tinman plot is getting silly, but I still find them entertaining.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

garnetpalmetto

Wed May 12, 2004 10:54 pm

Ward Carroll's "Punk" series. Equal parts Stephen Coonts (who, IMNSHO should have quit after "Flight of the Intruder," which was quite good) and Joseph Heller.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

Sinlock

Thu May 13, 2004 12:06 am

If your looking for that might be called Semi-Fiction you should give Dale Browns, Hammerheads and Storming Heaven a read. Both books are Pre Tinman so they are pretty darn good.

Hammerheads: Border Security is now done with Active law enforcement instead of Re-Active law enforcement and the V-22 gets to show it's stuff.

Storming Heaven: Just think 9-11 but with more financial backing.

Chains of Command is good also. Standard Mil-Av book but the main star is the FB-111, Also introduces Browns first major female character.

f4wso

Thu May 13, 2004 9:49 am

I like Mark Berent's five book series on Southeast Asia. He weaves a lot of different platforms into the story line through the series.

Walt Boyne's books are also very good. He wrote The Wild Blue and also the multi-part Eagles series.
Gary
Cottage Grove, MN
Seeking an honest week's pay for an honest day's work

kc10boom

Thu May 13, 2004 3:51 pm

Tom Clancy's Without Remorse (cant remember read so many), when the 747 smashes into capitol hill. The book had me riveted for hours. Very dramatic! I remember watcing him on CNN after 9-11.
Why is it my best contacts are when no one else is looking!

startknob

Fri May 14, 2004 5:53 am

Tom Clancy - Red Storm Rising - the scene near KEF when the B52s arrive "there was enough electromagnetic energy in the air to grill the birds in flight".
Nothing more to say.
When playing cat and mice it's imperative to know, who's the cat.