Plasma Stealth

Wed May 12, 2004 12:41 pm

I heard that the Russians did or are developing a new form of stealth technology that relies on the use of plasma rather than structural design. Thus, the could turn exsisting non stealth planes into stealth planes. Does anyone have any information on this topic? Or is this just a mere rumor. Sounds interesting none the less. I couldn't find anything on the search, so I'm guessing this may just be a rumor.

RE: Plasma Stealth

Wed May 12, 2004 9:13 pm

The only story that I have heard about a plasma airplane is about the attempted development of a SR-71 replacement.
The airplane was to be unmanned with a cruising speed of about Mach 5. To keep the airframe from being overtemp'd, a high electrical potential (I've heard 15,000 volts) was to be induced into the airframe. This high voltage was supposed to cause a layer of gaseous plasma to be formed around the airframe and provide cooling.
It's anyone's guess if this story has any credence.
david b.

Wed May 12, 2004 10:27 pm

A better idea would be an enegry field around the craft. Like in the movie ID4  Big thumbs up

Could be much cheaper too.
Teenage-know-it-alls should be shot on sight

Wed May 12, 2004 10:46 pm

Funny a guy named David should think that... being that another guy called David disabled those shields in ID4!!!!!  Smile You know, Jeff Goldblum's character.

Wed May 12, 2004 11:38 pm

A search on "plasma" and "stealth" turned up many links, including this article:
"That's so stupid! If they're so secret, why are they out where everyone can see them?" - my kid