ZKSUJ
Topic Author

RNZAF, How Does One Get In?

Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:27 pm

Hi

I've applied for the RNZAF to become a pilot for them a few months ago, and I got a letter back saying that I did not meet the minimum academic requirements.
The requirements are NZ 6th form grade 5 or better in Maths, Physics and English.
I have NZ 7th form passes in Maths and English, but not in Physics. (I did not take physics).
Isn't 7th form (A levels) meant to be higher than 6th form? Now I am doing a diploma in Engineering just to get in (qualify).
Does anyone here know how, and what I have to do to qualify and hopefully be accepted? Any help would be very much appreciated.

ZKSUJ

dl021

RE: RNZAF, How Does One Get In?

Sat Jun 05, 2004 9:48 am

I guess that when there are only 15 or 16 fixed wing airplanes to fly that the pool of available pilots exceeds the need. This probably has them turning down most applicants for new pilots...try the RAAF or the RAF if you have the grades in school.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

L-188

Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:25 pm

It is too bad the RNZAF got rid of their Skyhawks and the 727's.

Does the RNZAF even have anything that can fire a shot anymore or just those two 757's that replaced the 727's.

OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Kiwi dave

Sat Jun 05, 2004 6:08 pm

The P-3s can fired a shot of two also the navy has Seasprites

dl021

Sun Jun 06, 2004 5:45 am

The P-3s are not really ready to fire any shots. During the recent East TImor efforts the RNZN frigate in the area had to pull back because reports of Indonesian sub in the AO, and the RNZN or RNZAF had no effective asw countermeasures. THe P-3s in the NZ fleet are mostly used for MPA activity, not for real warfighting. They could be upgrade, with weapons systems reactivated, but for now the largest weapon any NZ a/c fires is hellfire missile and the 7.62 Gimpy off the seasprites.

Kiwi dave

Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:29 pm

proves how much I know about the RNZAF or really care about it

L-188

Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:46 pm

Actually a hellfire off a P-3 would make one hell of an small anti-ship round.

OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

dl021

Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:26 am

Number one I said Hellfire and meant MAverick. Sorry. The Maverick is an anti-tank round and would do damage to a ship, but the possibility of it sinking anything frigate sized or better is very low. The weapon would be useful against smaller vessels 100' and below. It also gives standoff capability to a frigate against small missile boats. It does have its uses, albeit limited. Evidently the Seasprites also have their ASW capabilities active, one wonders how much practice they are getting under the current administrations budget. RNZN has a long and proud naval tradition (just ask the Graf Spee) so lets hope for the best

zksik

Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:51 pm

ZKSUJ the minimum is 6th form passes in english, maths and physics; so yes 6th form physics is required. calculus is also prefered- however not compulsary.

Still keen on joining the RNZAF?

There are a few projects underway of which will update basically every aircraft. These include :

* P3K - upgrade of the mission , communication and navigation systems of the orion.
* C130 - life extension programme. This involves replacement of specific mechanical, avionic and structural components aswell as the installation of flight deck commmunications and navigational equipment
* UH1H - Replacement of the Iroquois helicopter's, currently unannounced
* B47 G - Currently seeking a commercial helicopter to be leased for training of advanced undergraduate trainees (there is also talk around of replacing them with ex singapore squirrels).
* B727 - recently replaced by the B757

As you can see every squadron is getting a facelift or two for the future of this small but proud airforce.
Exciting stuff for the RNZAF which has been recently plagued by low moral following the disbandment of the aircombat force; now looking towards a much brighter future.

Good luck with the future, whichever avenue you decide to choose.
one life... fly it

ZKSUJ
Topic Author

Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:22 pm

Thanks alot, I did physics and maths and english in sixth form, all over 50%, but they said because I didn't do it in seventh form.....
Oh well, I'll have to go through Massey and then try again. Thanks again.