JrMafia90
Topic Author

Air Force One At PHL?

Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:19 am

At around 1:00 I was leaving one of my restuarants in South Jersey and as I was walking to my car I noticed a 747 pretty low to the ground and it wasn't on a path that airplanes usaully take to land at PHL (i live 20 min. from PHL) I thought it was doing an emergancy landing. Then I jokingly said watch it be Air Force One and when the plane turned I saw the paint scheme it was Air Force One. Then it turned and went on the final approach to PHL. Is Air Force One at PHL?

PHLapproach

RE: Air Force One At PHL?

Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:35 am

Yup, you indeed saw Air Force One. He took the Cedar Lake Eight Arrival and arrived on schedule, making a standard 27R landing. Yesterday, A friend of mine that lives at the Middle Marker for 27R saw the C-17 that brings in all the Limos and Secret Service cars in. My other friend was at PHL on Sunday when the 9's were in use and saw Marine One. He departed from AA (Atlantic Aviation) then flew around North West of the field then landed back at AA.

USAFHummer

Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:47 am

Was anyone out on Hog Island for this?

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

Jalto27R

Wed Aug 18, 2004 4:09 am

PHLApproach is talking about me. I am at JALTO (the middle marker for 27R) and I heard AF1 on Final frequency 125.4 and he got cleared for the visual. I ran out and waited for him forever until other traffic moved in. Somehow he must have the cut the turn to final EXTREMELY short. I really wanted to get a picture of him.

Mike

PHLBOS

Wed Aug 18, 2004 4:13 am

Was anyone out on Hog Island for this?

My guess would probably be 'No'. Usually when Air Force One is approaching PHL, Philadelphia Police establish a roadblock barricade perimeter around the airport; no doubt, police probably did a 'sweep' along Enterprise Ave., Island Ave., Fort Mifflin, Hog Island, and Tinicum Island Roads prior to the plane coming in. This practice was done even before 9/11.

Back in '96, I was heading south on I-95 along the double-decker Girard Point Bridge at the time when I saw Air Force One come in for a landing. When passing the Enterprise Ave. exit (#15), I saw police cars blocking the exit. I believe that the Bartram Ave. exit (#14) was also blocked then.

For today's visit, I am assuming that the similar thing was done.

[Edited 2004-08-17 21:19:08]
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

PHLapproach

Wed Aug 18, 2004 4:17 am

Greg, I believe Paul Kanagie made it down. That guy is crazy for finding spots no one would dream of. He probably pulled off a shot.

Jalto27R

Wed Aug 18, 2004 4:21 am

At around 1:00 I was leaving one of my restuarants in South Jersey

What restaurant? I bet I would know which one. I live right in S.J.

Mike

USAFHummer

Wed Aug 18, 2004 4:31 am

Last year, the year of the ill-fated PHL gathering, the VH-3's were around for an advance visit cause Bush was coming up the next day and we were standing right at the Atlantic Av. fence when they landed right in front of us basically...not a USSS agent in sight...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

PHLBOS

Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:37 pm

Last year, the year of the ill-fated PHL gathering, the VH-3's were around for an advance visit cause Bush was coming up the next day and we were standing right at the Atlantic Av. fence when they landed right in front of us basically...not a USSS agent in sight...

That's because the VH-3s arrived the day before the President arrived. I can guarantee you that if you tried that within an hour before Air Force One was scheduled to arrive, I can assure you Philly's finest would've approached you while making either a pass-by or two or while setting up a temporary road block and demanded that you leave.

Again, if they were blocking the roads for a Presidential visit in '96; what makes you think the security and police would be more lenient now?

Think about it.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

Jalto27R

Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:27 am

It doesn't look like Paul made an effort to get a shot. Oh well.

Mike

PHLBOS

Sat Sep 25, 2004 5:27 am

Paul didn't, but Kyle Donagher did. Obviously, this photo was not taken from Hog Island Road.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Kyle Donagher