Mariscal35
Topic Author

Ultralights In The Air Force

Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:06 am

Hi

I was wondering if ultralights are used in any country's air force for military purposes only. I would appreciate any info.

Mariscal 35.
"El partido no estuvo ni bueno ni malo, sino todo lo contrario" Nixon Carcelen

Spacepope

RE: Ultralights In The Air Force

Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:10 am

Iran had at least one hang-glider derived ultralight in their latest military exercises this summer. I've also seen a photo of aniranian soldier using one of those parachute with a fan on your back type setups. Not sure how useful thgat would be for the military.
The last of the famous international playboys

Mariscal35
Topic Author

Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:37 am

I think that ultralights may be good recon planes for the army, since they are cheaper, easier to pack. I presume that the Iranian Air Force (IRIAF) was testing ultalights capabilities in the battlefield and how well they managed.
"El partido no estuvo ni bueno ni malo, sino todo lo contrario" Nixon Carcelen

L-188

Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:53 pm

The US Army in the 1950's hired the Goodyear Tire and Rubber company to develop an inflatable aircraft.

DIdn't go past the test stage.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

L-188

Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:05 pm

Well it looks like the best I can do for a link to the inflatoplane is this one.

http://www.aahs-online.org/BackIssues/Image4.htm
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

bennett123

Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:33 am

If it could be packed into a suitable container and parachuted in, it could have SF applications.

chdmcmanus

Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:19 am

In as much as the possibilities for compact transport and ease of deployment sound tempting, I think the risk / benefit of such a concept outweighs its usefulness. I would think that anyone who has ever been bird hunting would agree that an ultralight / hang glider would make as easy a target as quail on the fly to small arms fire. Just ask any FAC pilot from Vietnam about the risks, and that was done in acft that were flying 10 times the speed and altitude of an ultralight. When you consider that and the sensor and photo capabilities would be extremely limited, the amount of useful intelligence gathered by one would not offset the danger to the operator. Right now drones, satellites and ground sensors gather the info needed to accomplish the mission. The Intel shortfalls in the current OIF battlefields are due to Humint issues, particularly language and allegiance barriers, not aerial photo or electronic gathering.

IMHO, the loss rate / mission success with such a tool would be astronomical.

ChD
"Never trust a clean Crew Chief"