747-600X
Topic Author

Visibility Of ISS Passing Overhead At Night?

Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:37 am

A friend has asked me if I know when/if the International Space Station will be visible as it passes overhead. I wondered if any one more on the space end of "aerospace" had any knowledge about that sort of thing or knew where one could find out.

Thanks!

SATL382G

RE: Visibility Of ISS Passing Overhead At Night?

Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:53 am

Check out this link...

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/index.html

if you want something more specific shoot me an e-mail, there are alternatives. ISS is the most visible satellite orbiting earth. If you have a good set of binocs you might be able to make out some details.

SATL382G
"There’s nothing quite as exhilarating as being shot at and missed" --Winston Churchill

rob2507

Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:04 am

This is one of my favorite sites--it lists everything up there..satellites, space junk, you name it, this site will tell you when it's visible in your area.

http://www.heavens-above.com

Leezyjet

Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:49 am

I've seen it a few times, although I find that looking with the naked eye you can see more as the binoculars don't allow enough light through at night to see it clearly.

You can see the middle living quarters and also the huge solar panels out stretched on either side.

It looks like an a/c flying over, just a white light moving through the sky, but it has to be a clear night to see it.

Smile
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

BartiniMan

Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:33 pm

I've seen it a few times aswell. I've also watched Mir traverse the night sky, only days before it re-entered earths atmosphere, boy was it bright then.

Anyway, Leezyjet, do you mean you saw the living quarters with the binoculars, I strongly doubt you saw it with your naked eye.

BartiniMan

Leezyjet

Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:14 am

BartiniMan,

Yes I saw it without the binoculars. I couldn't see anything with them.

You could clearly see the long round bit in the middle and the solar panels outstretched on either side. Not saying you could read the writing but you could clearly make out which part was which.

Even my old folks could see it without their glasses !!!.

I saw it about 3 times in the one night, and again the next night. Each time the sky was completely clear with no clouds at all.

Smile
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

rg828

Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:28 am

I was about to post something related to this, as last night I saw one of the biggest and brightest satellites I've ever seen pass overhead!

I knew it could'nt be an ordinary satellite, so I thought it must have been the ISS.

I've also seen really bright stuff pass overhead Milan (huge!), and San Francisco (bright and slow-moving), I wish I knew of a way to find out what they were.
I dont know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone