trekster

Waddington

Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:06 pm

Dopnt know if any of u have heard. RAF Waddingtin (about 2 or 4 miles from where i am typing) is one of 2 bases that have been shortlisted to house the newley refitted Nimrods when they are finished with what ever they have been doing to them for the past couple of years.

If this happens, the camps size will increase by about 6000 staff. Also, if good old waddie (waddington) gets the nimrod, RAF Kinloss will shut down. Sad news for all the staff there, and the History of the camp, but good news for waddington.

Will keep u all updated on the process as news flows into the local papers
Where does the time go???

saintsman

RE: Waddington

Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:56 am

Kinloss will not shut down, Lossiemouth is the favorate for that. It's still a number of years away too as the Nimrod MRA4 will not be ready in the immediate future.

Waddington is destined to be a "super base" with a lot of aircraft types stationed there, Nimrod, Sentry and Sentinal, just like Brize will become. I think that we will see a lot more of this sort of thing. It keeps costs down if everything is in one place.

Doesn't help the locals of all the stations that will close though.

trekster

Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:37 pm

yea i know. Good for people like me though. Waddington has a very good spotting point just before the main runway. Planes and the Air Ambulance whne lucky go RIGHT past u, wish it was open on the airshow days, though it would be packed.

Sorry about the mis information on the base that might close if waddington gets the nimrod.
Where does the time go???

Contact_tower

Thu Oct 28, 2004 3:14 am