Thom@s
Topic Author

Need Help With Aircraft Identity.

Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:42 pm

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/aviation_photography/read.main/154758/

From aviation photography forum. Can anyone help?

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

CV990

RE: Need Help With Aircraft Identity.

Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:42 pm

Hi!

It's a hybrid Lockheed F-104G Starfighter. I say hybrid because the nose doesn't belong to that plane, but besides that is a truly F-104G!
regards
CV990, the Maserati of the skies!

Thom@s
Topic Author

Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:45 pm

Thanks, we've established that already.  Smile We (I) were wondering in particular where that nose truly belongs? Any ideas?

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

broke

Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:46 pm

The nose looks a lot like a U-2 nose section. Interesting combination, if it is legitimate.

Thom@s
Topic Author

Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:33 am

Legitimate? Well, that's what it looked like when I took the pic.  Smile

Should get hold of someone in the AF base and get some info from there. But dunno if that will be possible for me... Oh well. Just upload it under the info I have gathered so far.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Thom@s

Pronto

Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:03 am

Definitely nose section of a U-2. Explanation of this combo? Who knows? Maybe a deception from the Cold War? Park this in a hangar with just the nose hanging out for recon fooling? After all, this is a Norwegian base.

Thom@s
Topic Author

Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:38 am

Hmm, true. But why would Norway make it look like they had more U-2 planes there than they actually had? Besides, nobody were meant to know the real ones were there in the first place, so it seems odd if they had "fake" ones made like this.  Smile

Thom@s

ehvk

Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:51 pm

isn't it posible that it is a special study version of the F-104 and that the nose was build on for testing or something like that. and that the nose was specially design't and that it is just a coincedence that it looks like the nose of a U-2

Greetz Léon

Lurch

Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:16 pm

Hi

I've Just been over to the F-104 websites on the net and I've come up with this group they may be able to help with you're odd Nose JOB.

Its the Star Fighters International society.

www.starfighters.nl/int_F104_society/

galaxy5

Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:24 am

It looks like a recon version of a f-104.
"damn, I didnt know prince could Ball like that" - Charlie Murphy

SATL382G

Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:43 am

I think the engineers canned the nose/radome for another jet. I bet they came back and built a sheetmetal mockup nose later to make it look realistic for the BDR students. Or maybe they had the BDR students build it...
"There’s nothing quite as exhilarating as being shot at and missed" --Winston Churchill

FTOHIST

Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:34 am

The Warbird Tech Series F-104 book I have by Jim Upton says that F-104A 56-0790 was modified with a U-2 nose for radar tests. There is also a photo of that airplane, and its nose section looks uncannily the same as this Norwegian airplane.

First of all, I think everyone would agree that Norewgian 890 did not fly in this condition during its operational career. I think if it did, there certainly would have been photographs taken of it, and some interest would have been paid to them long ago.

But, looking at this airplane, and knowing that the basic airframe was essentially a U-2, you can see that whatever this nose may be from, it seems to fit perfectly. (It might be better to see without all the snow, however). I agree it may be possible that this airplane was used for special radar tests similar to those performed with USAF 56-0790. Knowing that the Norwegian airplane was used for battle damage testing at the end of its career, it is possible that its original nose was either missing or destroyed, and a new one needed to be fabricated in order for it to be placed on display.

I have trouble believing that a U-2 nose would by lying in a Norwegian warehouse, so there must be another explanation....

My head is spinning, I wish there were more questions asked like this one.