qxeguy

Why Is It Called A "poopie Suit"

Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:48 am

Why is the water survival suit called a "poopie suit"?. The best I can figure is that if you have to use it, the situation probably made you inadvertantly go 'poopie' in it.
I fly boxes. Boxes don't bitch. Boxes don't barf. Boxes don't get drunk and do a number 2 on the beverage cart.

f4wso

RE: Why Is It Called A "poopie Suit"

Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:22 pm

That was always my understanding of it's origin though I never used it as such. You certainly couldn't take it off in a fighter cockpit. Wearing the suit is the worst memory of the Trans-Atlantic crossings I did in the F-4, more so than sitting in one spot for 11-12 hours. I did an exercise in Alaska in 1988. We had to wear the suit on the 10.5 hour flight there and then on each sortie for the two week period. Those flights were typically under 2.5 hours with an air refueling. The layers of clothes were underwear, thermal underwear, nomex flight suit, anti-exposure suit, harness and G-suit. Later on, a combination nomex flightsuit and poopie suit made life a little easier. To me, the worst part was the neck seal that had to fit snug.
Gary
Cottage Grove, MN
Seeking an honest week's pay for an honest day's work

garnetpalmetto

Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:36 pm

My understanding was it came from the smell due to the sweat generated from all those layers Gary mentioned. I know submariners refer to their coveralls as poopie suits as well so it could be BO related...
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

ftrguy

Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:13 am

That thing is so uncomfortable and gosh awful hot. I call it the "body condom" because that's what it feels like. As uncomfortable as it is, I'll wear it when I need to because it might just save my life someday!

DeltaGuy

Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:25 am

As tight as your average MA-2 or PCU-15 torso harnesses fit, plus your gsuits (which are all fitted to you assuming you're wearing just a flightsuit and a tshirt), that poopie suit makes everything fit pretty tight. I have an old one in a box somewhere here, the thing smells like crap...probably from all the sweat, and the smell of the rubber neck seals like Gary said.

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

Lt-AWACS

Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:57 am

We call ours poopie suits, and I have no idea why, I think we were told once, but oh well LOL. I've got survival training annual next week and I'll ask the "experts". THe best part of Poopie Suit training, "burping" them as you don them over your neck.  Smile

We call our chem suit plastic fullbody hoods "body condoms".

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,
Capt-AWACS, Veni, Vidi, Bibi
Io voglio fica ogni giorni da mia bella moglie!

AFHokie

Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:57 am

It is indeed because of how it smells after wearing it. After sweating in it it smells, well, like poop  Big thumbs up