USAF757300
Topic Author

NAS Oceana

Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:13 am

Ok i live in Arizona, and I am getting a little bored of watching f-16s from Luke AFB all the time. I would like to go to watch some fighters at Oceana. Would i fly into Norfolk? Or Virgina Beach? And when are the best times to go to the NAS to do some spotting? Also where is the best areas to watch the fighters takeoff and land?

Thank you for all of your help.

USAF757300

SuperHornet

RE: NAS Oceana

Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:30 pm

CVN-17 is returning to Oceana, Sunday 12 December 2004 (my birthday) so there will be a lot of aircraft around then but I am assuming this is too short of notice for you?

Are you flying your own aircraft or will you be flying commercial?
Watch the ball

Tiger119

Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:48 pm

"Would i fly into Norfolk?"
Yes, the times I have flown into The Hampton Roads area, I have always flown into Norfolk. There may be more commercial airports in the area that I am not aware of though.
http://www.norfolkairport.com/
Flying is the second greatest thrill known to mankind, landing is the first!

Woodreau

Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:59 pm

You won't find too many commercial carriers (I'd wager you wouldn't find any) that fly into Virginia Beach, as the biggest airport I'm aware of in Virginia Beach is NAS Oceana.

There's pleny of traffic in and out of Oceana, usually out to the outlying fields.
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

Wilsonjcobb

Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:58 am

I'll trade spots with you USAF757300. LOL I live in Nashville where there are no fighter aircraft on a regular basis. You can watch the boring A/C here while i watch the fighters out there. Tennessee ANG no where fly's fighters. Talk about boring, the most military we get are C-130's, TANG. I see what you're saying about wanting more variety, but compared to a lot of us you don't have it that bad. Hope, you get to Virginia there's a lot happening there. And yes, fly into Norfolk. Another suggestion is Eglin AFB. When i was down in Destin this past July there were a lot of variety of A/C than just
F-15's. From tankers to AWACS to A-10's, F-16's, and F-15's. There was so much happening that week that my scanner was buzzing from the locals on the marine band about how busy it was. The most variety they've seen in a long time. Have a good one.

USAF757300
Topic Author

Sat Dec 11, 2004 1:39 pm

Wilsonjcobb:

LOL, well after going to Luke everyday and seeing nothing but F-16s it get kind of boreing. But i have seen some different fighters here including F-15s, A-10s, F-14s, Av-8 Harriers, KC-135s, KC-10s, C-17s and even some VIP USAF 737s so i guess u are right lol, it is kind of exciting.

But I have been to Eglin once, saw a lot of F-15s and F-16s, and i do remember a KC-10.

But i am looking to spot some navy birds. I have never been to NAS Oceana so when are the best times of the day to watch them? Do they fly on weekends, because they dont here at Luke. And is there an observation area at Oceana anywhere?

Thanks

USAF757300

IADBGO

Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:07 am

i lived about 10 miles from Oceana for about 15 years so I've seen just about everything that flies in and out of there. There are two commercial airports in the area. Newport News...which I don't recommend...it is too far from Oceana. ORF/Norfolk Intl is your best bet. Not sure where you live but US, UA, AA, DH, WN, NW and DL all fly to ORF so you will have some options.
As for what you will see at Oceana. F-14's and F-18's will be about it. There may be some other planes flying in and out of Oceana but no guarantees. Another possibility for you is NAS Norfolk. They will have E-2C's and C-9's flying in and out most of the day...along with some choppers...although those are on the water side of the base. You might also get some P-3's and if your lucky a C-17, C-5 or C-141...but only if you are really lucky.

IADBGO

IntruderPC

Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:23 am

To USAF757300 Fly into Norfolk International. Then get a limo or taxi to Virginia Beach. There are some great places around NAS Oceana to spot. Also NAS Pax River is only about a 3 or 3 1/2 hr drive from there. There are also many other AF and NAS bases in the area. You can get photos of many other squadrons and A/C. I was stationed in this area (VA-35 A-6 Intruders at NAS Oceana) and it is really nice with the ocean and the the BAck Bay area of N. Carolina. Also Kitty Hawk is not far away! Look in my profile and email me soon.
A-6's and Navy Air forever!!!

USAF757300
Topic Author

Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:11 pm

IntruderPC:

Hey thanks a lot for your input. Man I love Intruders to, its a bummer they arnt around anymore isnt it?

gocaps16

Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:12 pm

USAF757300,

Email me when you plan to fly in the area. I am currently stationed at Oceana.

Regards,

Kevin