SATL382G
Topic Author

Delta IV Heavy Launch

Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:10 am

1st Delta IV Heavy launch is in about 20 min at 1631EST. Boeing is webcasting.

[Edited 2004-12-21 22:12:15]

Webcast available at this site:
http://www.boeing.com/news/feature/livewebcast/d4_heavy_webcast.htm

[Edited 2004-12-21 22:18:41]
"There’s nothing quite as exhilarating as being shot at and missed" --Winston Churchill

SATL382G
Topic Author

RE: Delta IV Heavy Launch

Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:34 am

Holding for range safety problem. Launch window remains open until 1731EST
"There’s nothing quite as exhilarating as being shot at and missed" --Winston Churchill

SATL382G
Topic Author

Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:46 am

Count resuming...

filler

PPGMD

Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:51 am

lift off, looks good
At worst, you screw up and die.

PPGMD

Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:54 am

No cloud that I can see here in Sarasota, too bad I look forward to see the cloud for the shuttle launches I can't goto in person.

PPGMD

Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:55 am

Strap on booster separation successful

PPGMD

Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:57 am

Successful stage separation, and deployment. Successful fairing release. Looks to be a complete success to me.

SATL382G
Topic Author

Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:06 am

PPGMD - Were you able to see anything from your location?

HaveBlue

Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:25 am

I could see it VERY clearly here from Daytona Beach. I didn't realize the launch was today and the phone rings and my buddy is like "what rocket am I looking at?" and I said "damnit, that's gotta be the Delta IV I've been waiting for!". Scramble outside the door and see the huge white plume of smoke, which ended oddly a little ways up the sky, then it was just clear and you could see the rockets fire clearly up above that. I'm assuming the plume stopped where the seperation occurred, but it looked kinda low.

Still, an impressive sight, wish I had caught the whole thing. Very happy that it was successful, especially after all the delays.
Here Here for Severe Clear!

SATL382G
Topic Author

Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:35 am

I didn't realize it was today either 'til I saw it on nasawatch.com about 30 min prior. Webcast coverage was pretty good, caught port & starboard CBC cut off and 1st stage sep....

PPGMD

Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:53 am

I saw it all SATL... via the webcast. Didn't see anything here, we can see the shuttle on clear days.

Which today was a clear day, except for some clouds over Orlando area at 5500. *shrugs* Should have seen it, but didn't.

SATL382G
Topic Author

Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:38 am

Looks like the first stage was short of energy. 2nd stage tried to compensate and apparently ran out of propellant.

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/delta/d310/

SATL382G
Topic Author

Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:05 am

So much for the "software" problem...

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=1642

"The root cause of the anomaly has been identified as a fluid cavitation within the liquid oxygen feed system. Analyses show that the cavitation originated at the entrance of the propellant feedline, where a filtration screen and turning elbow restrict the propellant flow as it accelerates leaving the tank."

Areopagus

Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:50 am

I saw the article on this at Spaceflight Now, which quoted the Air Force report:

"Analyses show that the cavitation originated at the entrance of the propellant feedline, where a filtration screen and turning elbow restrict the propellant flow as it accelerates leaving the tank. This feedline restriction has been present in all previous Delta 4 flights, but the unique combination of vehicle acceleration, liquid level in the tank, and propellant flow rate for this mission, reduced the fluid pressure enough to enable the creation of gaseous oxygen at this location as the tanks emptied," Wednesday's Air Force statement said.

But I'm left wondering, what's so unique about it? The acceleration at center core burnout must have been higher (well, at least different) than at strap-on burnout, and the problem occurred in both conditions. As far as liquid level in the tank and flow rate, how would this differ from earlier flights?