HAWK21M
Topic Author

Indi Option On Airfraft For IAF

Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:45 pm

If India has an option for procuring Worldwide AF Aircraft.Which would they go in for [from Availability/Seller country willing point of view].
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Vimanav

RE: Indi Option On Airfraft For IAF

Fri Dec 24, 2004 12:12 am

MEL...

I think IAF has that option and is exercising it to the optimum. While possibly possessing the best weaponry in terms of quality, the USA has shown itself to be unreliable in terms of continued technical and logistical support for acquired weapons especially when we exercise our sovereign right to do what we feel it needed to secure our interest from possible external aggression. This is the stage where USA could slap embargos and such restrictions which would actually hurt us if we had a large inventory of their weapons.

Iran with its fleet of F-14s, Libya are prime examples of countries whose aviation growth (including commercial) have been stunted due to the various embargoes slapped on them by the west.

The US moreover would never allow weapons and delivery systems - like figthers etc. to ever be licence produced in India. The Russians have been far more liberal accommodating in this regard.

Finally there comes the question of price. Russians are by far the cheaper alternative and capable of offering systems tailored to our needs at relatively lower prices than most others. Therefore our marked preference for Russian weapons systems.

Hope this clarifies.

rgds//Vimanav

rgds//Vimanav
Sarfaroshi kii tamannaa ab hamaare dil mein hai, Dekhnaa hai zor kitnaa baazu-e-qaatil mein hai

IndianFlyboy

Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:15 pm

MEL,

Vimanav has already nailed it , but just to add a lil more to it , the russian aviation industry is in doldrums. Technically they are exceptional products but with the lack of cash in their own country they are willing to sell , not just the product but the technology rather cheap. It is not just the aircraft which India wants it is what goes into building these aircrafts. The prime example is the Su 30 MKI. Based on the Su 35 , it has been completely customized by India. The "I" in the MKI does stand for India. The avionics are from israel and India , weapons system again developed by India and Israel while the fighter is built by Russia. This deal also came with the option that the Berkut will be developed jointly between Sukhoi and HAL .

As far as the US goes , years and years of mistrust and their actions have put India on a backfoot when it comes to their products , you never know when you are going to stop getting spares for your frontline fighters.

Regards

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Fri Dec 24, 2004 3:43 pm

Very Interesting Data Folks.
The "I" in the MKI does stand for India
Thats something New to learn.
Thanks
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)