Venus6971
Topic Author

Medal Of Honor

Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:47 am

I know this doesn't have anything to do with aviation but most of us know what it is like to go in harms way, please check this link for your own thoughts. This is a better forum than the non-aviation for this thread. To at least know what type of man Paul Smith was.

http://www.army.mil/MedalOfHonor/battlescape/index.html

Venus
I would help you but it is not in the contract

ANCFlyer

RE: Medal Of Honor

Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:03 am

Excellent show.

Soldiers like SFC Smith do not go into the fray each day expecting to come out a hero. There is no doctrine that can be found that will teach someone how to do what he did. There is only selfless dedication to his mission and his soldiers.

Salute to this fine Soldier of Soldiers.

Regards

ANCFlyer
CSM, USA, Ret
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

SATL382G

Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:42 am

Amazing. I cannot find the words.....

Can the Army folks enlightened us as to how long he was exposed while expending 3 cans of .50 ammo?

regards
"There’s nothing quite as exhilarating as being shot at and missed" --Winston Churchill

ANCFlyer

Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:51 am

Quoting SATL382G (Reply 2):
Can the Army folks enlightened us as to how long he was exposed while expending 3 cans of .50 ammo?

One Hundred Rounds in a can if my crusty memory serves me correctly, pick your target, bursts of fire - I'd have to say at the minimum 5 minutes, and that's cooking off a LOT ammo, really fast.

I'd guess more along the lines 7 or 8 minutes . . . he had to take time to reload the thing - which is easy enough to do when you're not being shot at, and the weapon is cool. Maybe longer, probably longer.

He is a hero, period.  goldmedal 

[Edited 2005-03-31 18:51:57]
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND