USAFMXOfficer
Topic Author

Brac (Base Realignment And Closure) Is Coming...

Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:30 am

BRAC commission initial list of suggested military bases for closure is due on May 16th. ...... was wondering everyone's thoughts about which bases should be on the list.

We are hearing in ACC (Air Combat Command, USAF) that 45% of our force structure will be affected.
44th Fighter Squadron Vampire Bats - 63 years of history

SATL382G

RE: Brac (Base Realignment And Closure) Is Coming...

Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:46 am

The local base here, Moody, was on the list last time and is thought to be a sure thing this go around. Lots of military installations in Georgia and Moody may well be the sacrificial lamb to keep the others open.

Lots of folks in my neighborhood would be impacted.
"There’s nothing quite as exhilarating as being shot at and missed" --Winston Churchill

lehpron

Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:21 am

San Diego already has North Island and Imperial Beach, so Miramar MCAS can go so it can become SAN, like it should have been 3 years ago (the vote was in 1994 to start construction in 1997 and be complete by 2001).

[Edited 2005-04-02 23:22:54]
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

galaxy5

Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:29 am

Maybe McGuire AFB NJ.
"damn, I didnt know prince could Ball like that" - Charlie Murphy

flyf15

Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:31 am

Anyone know if Buckley AFB on Denver is on the list or possibly will be? Seems like they don't really do much of anything there as far as flying activities go...

LMP737

Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:51 am

Quoting Lehpron (Reply 2):
San Diego already has North Island and Imperial Beach, so Miramar MCAS can go so it can become SAN, like it should have been 3 years ago (the vote was in 1994 to start construction in 1997 and be complete by 2001).

Agree, the Navy should have closed Miramar when they moved the Tomcats to Oceana and the Hawkeyes to Point Magu. Instead they went through the expense of moving the Navy out, closing El Toro and Tustin and then moving the Marines down to Mirarmar.

However I would be surprised if they do close Mirarmar. The Navy spent a lot of money improving the base when the Marines moved there. In addition if you were to close it you would have to find another place for the Marines. On the west coast the choices are somewhat limited. There's Lemoore which already has Hornet units. The problem with that is there's no hanger space available. They would have to go on a massive construction effort to house not only the planes but the people. The same would go for Yuma.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

SATL382G

Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:26 am

Quoting LMP737 (Reply 5):
The Navy spent a lot of money improving the base when the Marines moved there.

I was in Europe with the Air Force when the downsizing happened in the late eighties and early nineties. The joke then was that if a base had new facilities (specifically a new commissary) it was sure to close. Things sure seemed to work that way.

One base, Comiso (sp?), was brand new and had barely opened when it closed. God only knows how much $$$ we flushed there.

regards
"There’s nothing quite as exhilarating as being shot at and missed" --Winston Churchill

Theiler

Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:04 am

Quoting Galaxy5 (Reply 3):

Really?? I would have thought that McGuire, as the East Coast home of the AMC would be safe for certain! Not to mention their joint use with Fort Dix.

Of course, AMC should have moved to Plattsburgh or even Loring back in 1995, but politics got ahold of that one.

Lt-AWACS

Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:04 am

Dear God please close Tinker.
Oklahoma is one of the few states that was not effected by the last few rounds of BRAC so folks think Altus or Tinker could go.
I can only hope. I hear rumours from friends at Hill that they could close also.
The Air Force has realised they can contract out the depot level work and I think that will happen more and more over the next few years.

flyf15-Buckley just became a "full-up" base a few years ago, so I doubt it would close, but stranger things have happened. There is a push to make Ellington Field in Houston a Joint Reserve Base like the former Carswell (now NAS Ft Worth JRB).

I remember when Bergstrom closed-- my ROTC detachment got a lot of their goodies. Much of that base was brand new, so as noted above anything is possible with BRAC.

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,
Capt-AWACS, Uncle Sam's AWAX, The best shine for your jet
Io voglio fica ogni giorni da mia bella moglie!

c17loadmstr

Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:00 am

I would love to see Altus close. What a god awful location for transport / tanker training. The reference about new commissaries and base closures is pretty true. I remember supervisors telling me about Chanute closing...the gates were closed and yet construction continued on the commissary until it was completed.
There are 3 types of people. Those who can count, and those who can't.

LMP737

Quoting SATL382G (Reply 6):

I was in Europe with the Air Force when the downsizing happened in the late eighties and early nineties. The joke then was that if a base had new facilities (specifically a new commissary) it was sure to close. Things sure seemed to work that way.

One base, Comiso (sp?), was brand new and had barely opened when it closed. God only knows how much $$$ we flushed there.

New facilities definitely does not spare a base from the BRAC axe. When the decision was made to close NAS Glenview the Navy had just finished building a brand new barracks and I level maintenance facility. All to the tune of $11 million dollars.

covert

Please close Shaw.  old 
none

dl021

Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:50 am

Moody would seem to be a possible target, as Georgia was spared in previous rounds by virtue of Sam Nunn and Newt Gingrich being in positions of power. The NAS/ARB at Dobbins will probably escape the ax due to the Lockheed facility being open, but Ft. Gillem and the Marine depot at Albany may be at risk. As far as bases that probably will not be affected Forts Stewart, Gordon and Benning are fairly secure and Robins AFB, Hunter Army Airfield, Kings Bay Naval Base and the Garden City Port Terminal should be OK. I don't know how much it would cost to move 3rd Army and FORSCOM from Fort MacPherson, but it was considered the last time.

It would, however, be logical to assume that some Senators with long memories would not be averse to seeing Georgia assume its "fair share" of BRAC cuts. I think that every base in GA earns its keep, with the possible exception of Fort Gillem whose facilities are not exactly unique and the units housed there could easily be moved elsewhere.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

jetjack74

Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:06 pm

It think that Dobbins ARB, GA is a prime candidate to closed or realigned. The Navy is alleged to be pulling out. I can't see it surviving the next round of base closures. McGuire AFB is much to important, and has too much strategic need, with it being in Ft Dix. It's almost like saying the gov't will close Pope AFB. Another place which could be closing is Pt Mugu. I drill out of there and since VC-3, VXE-6 has decommed, there is talk that the Navy composite squadrons may move to China Lake, and AF Reserve units may go to Nellis AFB. Miramar is another place that is feeling heat. The branch of service I see getting cuts, is the Army. And I see the reserve forces and National Guard getting some additional money, with the Rummy's plan for a fast deploying, lean, ,mean fighting force. But who knows.
Made from jets!

USAFMXOfficer
Topic Author

Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:22 pm

One of the big initiatives supposedly during this BRAC will be for "Joint basing". The line of thinking being that it is cheaper to have one base's worth of infrastructure supporting two (or more) service's units colocated at the same base. Already existing joint bases like Pope would seem to be safe under this way of thinking. However, bases like Cannon, McConnell would seem to be targets.

As far as the Air Force depots go, we already went from 5 to 3 major depots during the last BRAC (McClellan and Kelly Depots closing). I don't see any more depot contraction during this round.

And don't start me on "outsourcing"...I.E. Contracting out areas of the military. I am NOT a proponent of the widespread use of this....I can tell you stories of cost growth in the outyears of support contracts that started out "cheap" but now cost the taxpayers hundreds of millions. It seems as if every new weapon system being brought on board is leaning towards contract maintenance and support.....NOT the way to go long term. Blue suit is cheaper--I can show you the numbers......

...now, off my soap box.....
44th Fighter Squadron Vampire Bats - 63 years of history

STT757

Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:05 pm

One thing I think they should do is to move operations of Guard or Reserve Units away from Civilian airports and to consolodate at existing Military fields, for example..

In Maine the Maine ANG flies KC-135s from Bangor, a civilian airport. While the Navy flies P-3s from Brunswick which is a Department of Defense facility, why not have the ANG share Brunswick Naval Air Station with the Navy.

Here in NJ the 177th FW flies out of Atlantic City Airport (Civilian), why not relocate to Lakehurst Naval Air Enginering Station. The NJ Army National Guard is moving their helicopters from West Trenton Airport (Civilian) to Lakehurst.

In Delaware the Delaware ANG flies C-130s from Newcastle airport (Civilian), why not consolidate at Dover. Or better yet, have the Delaware ANG switch their C-130s with the NY ANG's C-5s. And have them move their operations to Dover where they can share equipment or training expenses.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

ANCFlyer

Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:38 pm

Elmendorf and Eieleson will stay open. So will Ft. Wainwright. I do not see the need for Ft. Richardson any longer - other than it offers old soldiers like me some reality from the near by, and more populated AF Base  biggrin .

Problem with Ft. Richardson is the guvment has tossed $Billions into it for all new barracks, dining facilities and motorpools - as well as a complete renovation of the housing - taking what was 8 unit buildings and making them 4 unit buildings and adding a garage for each!

So, I don't suspect to see it go. Oh, did I mention Uncle Ted Stevens, the great benefactor of Alaska . . . who's Chairmanship of the Senate Appropriations Committee has recently expired, but who is the President Pro-Tempore of the Senate . . . he is a vicious man when provoked. Nothing up here will close.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

maiznblu_757

Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:51 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 16):
Elmendorf and Eieleson will stay open

I heard that Elmendorf was going to be recieving 60 F-22's to replace the F-15's. Dont know how true it is.

ramprat74

Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:31 pm

Does Ft. Richardson have any regular Army units based there?

garnetpalmetto

Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:36 pm

Quoting Covert (Reply 11):
Please close Shaw.

Shaw, more than likely, will get bigger. McEntire ANGB will probably close and its F-16s moved over to Shaw.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

Lt-AWACS

Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:43 pm

Quoting USAFMXOfficer (Reply 14):
As far as the Air Force depots go, we already went from 5 to 3 major depots during the last BRAC (McClellan and Kelly Depots closing). I don't see any more depot contraction during this round.

I wouldn't be to sure. The "signs" from "sources" point to at least Hill or Tinker closing.
I can only hope it is Tinker.

Garnet I heard the same about McEntire.

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,
Capt-AWACS, Seven Continents Down, None to Go
Io voglio fica ogni giorni da mia bella moglie!

dc1030guy

Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:36 pm

This is in reference to McGuire AFB being on the BRAC list...

The best thing McGuire has going for it is that there are 32 KC10s, (soon) 12 or so C-17s, as well as an entire ANG unit with KC-135s and a C-32. None of these are small airplanes. You would need a lot of empty ramp space at existing facilities in order to close McGuire. Personally, I don't know of any bases which have that amount of space. Also, McGuire is in a nice location for divert issues ... especially since the C-17 sometimes has a problem getting across the pond with a lot of cargo.

On the flip side, McGuire sits in the middle of one of the busiest airspace in the world. We are a sore thumb to NY/Wash/Boston Center. Additionally, McGuire's runways are too short for KC-10s. Finally, probably the most important, Congressmen Saxton (saved McGuire during the last BRAC) said last year in an interview that he doubts McGuire, Ft Dix, Lakehurst, and Monmouth will remain open.

Just my two cents...

-Pat

NBGSkyGod

Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:37 pm

Down here in New Orleans, the East and Westbank Naval Support Activities are on the list, along with NAS JRB New Orleans. The NSA bases are more or less planning to be cut and move to NAS. The NSA bases are on high priced land along the river and on the lake. NAS isn't planning on being cut although they are building a new galley, Exchange, Commesary, and they just finished extending runway 4/22 to 10,000 feet.
Pilots are idots, who at any given moment will attempt to kill themselves or others.

Venus6971

Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:50 am

If anything about Oklahoma we would probably lose Vance or Altus, Vance is getting a bunch of new construction (the kiss of death) even though they have recieved their first T-6's to replace the T-37's. Tinker is a 24 hour a day base with the runway never closed expect for weather and IFE's with a TA on duty 16hrs 365 days a year. The Navy Tacamo mission keeps things busy there with AWACS still supporting Noble Eagle. I hear rumors of the logistics center closing which would send the Economy of OKC into a depression which it is the states largest employer.
I was at K.I. Sawyer AFB when it got the death sentence , we had great facilties, no local interference from operations ( no quiet hours) and the USAF's largest snow plow fleet, Michigan is a state the got hosed by the brac, I guess that is what you get when you have Sen. Levin and Congressman John Conyer fighting for you.
Oklahoma's other 2 military bases Fort Sill and Macalester Ammo plant look to be safe, it is kind of hard to move the worlds largest artillary range. Macalester is the only plant making ordinace for the military now which kind of makes it safe but we are dealing with the federal gov't here. Our 2 guard units the 137th (C-130's) OKC and the 138th( F-16's blk 42 Tulsa) are vulnerable, a rumor is flying around to move them to Tinker, interesting if you consider lack of ramp space unless the old cargo terminal is converted and a alot of new concrete is poured. Don't know to much about the OK Army NG though to give a educated guess on them.
I would help you but it is not in the contract

DLKAPA

Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:33 am

Quoting Flyf15 (Reply 4):
Anyone know if Buckley AFB on Denver is on the list or possibly will be? Seems like they don't really do much of anything there as far as flying activities go...

There's alot of space command related activities going on there, hence the giant golf-ball domes enclosing huge satellite dishes (they had one uncovered once, the dish inside was freaking huge).

As far as Colorado goes, I don't think any bases will close.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

ANCFlyer

Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:31 am

Quoting Maiznblu_757 (Reply 17):
Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 16):
Elmendorf and Eieleson will stay open

I heard that Elmendorf was going to be recieving 60 F-22's to replace the F-15's. Dont know how true it is.

Quite true - it was all over the news a few days back - somewhere in here is a thread on the subject.

Quoting RampRat74 (Reply 18):
Does Ft. Richardson have any regular Army units based there?

Yes, a full Brigade (Light) of Light Infantry, most supporting units and Senior HQ are at Ft. Wainwright in Fairbanks. And they are converting at least one of the Battalions at Ft. Richardson to a Stryker Unit.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

HawaiianHobo

Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:03 am

I've got my money on Hill and Altus closing. I wish Tinker would go too (god awful base) but with AWACs there and all the facilities set up for it, can you really see that base closing?

Anybody hear anything about Luke being on the chopping block? Word is around here at Davis-Monthan that Luke was on the list. I don't understand how since its an F-16 trainer base (the only one?) but hey, anything is possible.

I'd like to see Davis-Monthan close but hey, that's just me  Smile

-J

"JP8 never tasted so good..."

LMP737

Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:36 am

Quoting USAFMXOfficer (Reply 14):
And don't start me on "outsourcing"...I.E. Contracting out areas of the military. I am NOT a proponent of the widespread use of this....I can tell you stories of cost growth in the outyears of support contracts that started out "cheap" but now cost the taxpayers hundreds of millions. It seems as if every new weapon system being brought on board is leaning towards contract maintenance and support.....NOT the way to go long term. Blue suit is cheaper--I can show you the numbers......

Please do tell!

When I was stationed at NAS Miramar we had contractors doing work on aircraft flown by Navy pilots. However it made sense since the aircraft involved were F-16N's. Since the Navy did not have F-16's in it's regular inventory it was cost effective to have Lockheed maintain the aircraft. However I have been hearing about the military contracting out more of their maintenance work. I've always wondered how it was working out.

Venus6971

Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:15 pm

Ive also heard Luke is vulnerable, with Phoenix engulfing it and morons buying house near it complaining about jet noise . I heard that Cannon in New mexico might pick up the trng msn for Luke.
I would help you but it is not in the contract

Duce50Boom

Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:59 pm

I hope the "BRAC list" that circulates around the net is mostly true. I can accept quagmire (mcguire) not closing. But move the 10s somewhere more south, like seymour johnson (assuming the 15Es move somewhere else). If not the shady J, maybe Shaw. 10s don't respond to the cold, most of our receivers come from down south so we have to fly an hour or more just to get to the AR track. Plus the runways are too short for a max T/O, and the airspace is beyond insane.

Altus and Grand Forks are other garden spots that should be closed. At least with the forks move the 135s somewhere closer to their receivers.

STT757,

It's not a good idea to colocate slow moving birds like helos along with fast moving F-16s. Pope learned from their mistakes and they shouldn't be repeated. Besides, lakehurst would need a huge amount of building up to be able to support fighter ops. Ie, longer runway, ramp, etc

JohnM

Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:46 pm

Duce50boom, yea I agree, Lakehurst would be a huge amount of work to make that airfield suitable. I operated out of there last summer, and there is nothing there to support a complex aircraft, let alone the short runway. I hear that the NJARNG move from TTN to Lakehurst is now off. I think Dover might be on the closure list. Only one type of airplane there, more houses close to the base, and the C-5 is starting the move towards mostly to the ANG and Reserves. Makes sense to send the dozen C-17s to McGuire than have a small C-17 operation at Dover. McGoo now has an aerial port? If so what is Dover needed for? The mortuary is new but could be rebuilt anywhere else if needed. Or for that matter continue to operate at the "old" DAFB site.

garnetpalmetto

Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:44 pm

Quoting Duce50boom (Reply 29):
I hope the "BRAC list" that circulates around the net is mostly true. I can accept quagmire (mcguire) not closing. But move the 10s somewhere more south, like seymour johnson (assuming the 15Es move somewhere else). If not the shady J, maybe Shaw.

Duce - the most recent copy of the BRAC list I think you're referring to has Shaw on it as closing. Here's the full list, with rationale behind each base's closure. http://www.g2mil.com/2005.htm. Personally I think it's bullhonky, to quote the Travelocity gnome...including Nellis on the list? Outright closure of Shaw? As Lt-AWACS validated, it's more likely to see McEntire (which flies the same F-16 variant as found at Shaw and is also optimized for SEAD) close and be absorbed into Shaw. Still, it should provide some interesting discussion fodder.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

dl021

Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:08 am

Every state that has a facility on the list will come up with dozens of critical and legitimate reasons that their facility is vital to the defense of democracy.

Watch what happens when a Georgia facility is put on the list.

GP...that link is not working and I want to read the story...can you email the text to me?

Ian
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

garnetpalmetto

Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:22 am

Gah, thanks for pointing out the link was bad. Here it is again, and I promise, it works this time

http://www.g2mil.com/2005.htm

LeanOfPeak

Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:29 am

It was the period that caused the problem.

DeltaMD11

Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:13 am

Well I'm afraid that the USN may be pulling out of NAS / JRB (NXX / KNXX), USA - Pennsylvania">NXX (NAS JRB Willow Grove) soon. The base has been on a decline over the last few years with only VP-66 (3 P-3C's) which will be leaving soon, VR-64 (2 C-130's), VR-64 (4 C-9B's), and a squadron of C-12's. I hope the new commisary rule doesn't apply, they just built a BEAUTIFUL Navy Lodge here (whose first official tenant was President Bush a couple of months back when he was here in PA to push his SS reform through interestingly enough), and they are going to start work on a new commisary and Exchange update soon. The chow hall was closed in Nov citing funding issues. I have a feeling that Willow Grove isn't too long in the running, even though there are many plusses to this base including a strategic location for Philadelphia, New York, and D.C., as well as a HUGE amount of ramp and hangar space. We have the largest hangar in use in the state of Pennsylvania today actually. Quite a shame.

On a better note we're having an airshow this year supposedly only second to Oceana over Memorial Day Weekend! Make sure you guys come out and see us!
Too often we ... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. - John Fitzgerald Kennedy

jetjack74

Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:31 am

Quoting DeltaMD11 (Reply 35):
Well I'm afraid that the USN may be pulling out of NAS / JRB (NXX / KNXX), USA - Pennsylvania">NXX (NAS JRB Willow Grove) soon. The base has been on a decline over the last few years with only VP-66 (3 P-3C's) which will be leaving soon,

COMNAVRESFOR is currently reevaluating the role of the P-3 community. The Navy is looking decomming the reserve squadrons and making more augment units to work alongside/train/drill with the active squadrons. The also want the TAR(training adminstration reservists) community to disappear and make all squadrons, including the VR units, common squadrons so RegNav/Fleet sailors will be eligible for billets unmanned. Which I think is a bad idea.

Quoting DeltaMD11 (Reply 35):
VR-64 (2 C-130's), VR-64 (4 C-9B's), and a squadron of C-12's

I know you mean't VR52, lol. With VP64 converting over to the C-130, looks like a good thing. VP66 leaving, means more hanger space for more C-130's (maybe another VR unit) or for VR52 to move over to 66's hanger space. One plan the Navy is looking at, is making VR "hubs" around the country, where they put several VR units at current bases like they have with the P-3's. VR46 at Atlanta will probably go away or convert over to another platform, VR55 at Pt Mugu may got to San Diego, and co-habitat with VR57. VR61 will probably stay put up at Whidbey Island being in a good, strategic location VR62 may move down to Willow Grove or Andrews.
So in getting that extra VR unit, Willow Grove seems in to be in a good position. They still have 913th Airlift Wing with the AFRES, and the 111th Fighter Wing ANG. Army Reserve, NG, along with the carrier battle group reservists and other squadrons/units makes Willow Grove very difficult for the BRAC to get rid of. BRAC normally goes for installations that are redundant and have low productivity, such as PNSY(Philadelphia Naval Shipyard), Castle AFB, NAS Dallas, Cecil Field. Thsee were bases that allowed the DOD to realign or close, which is mainly active bases. ANG/Reseve installation help the DOD for the most part. If the DOD closes a base, then the gov't has to provide transportation for all these people to get to their drillsites. So the Joint Reserve Bases, Air/National Guard Bases, Army Reserve Camps are pretty safe, in my opinion. I mean they may have to close some, but for the most part, I think they're in good hands esspecially with the current state of the war on terror.

[Edited 2005-04-07 20:50:30]
Made from jets!

NBGSkyGod

Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:55 am

JetJock: They are planning the same deal at NAS JRB New Orleans (KNBG) We have 1 VR squadron right now, with the possiblility when VP-94 leaves that we may pick up VR-46. Also its been long roumored that we will pick up an AFRES transport squadron, either 135s or C17s.
Pilots are idots, who at any given moment will attempt to kill themselves or others.

jetjack74

Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:47 am

Quoting Nbgskygod (Reply 37):
We have 1 VR squadron right now, with the possiblility when VP-94 leaves that we may pick up VR-46.

Right, VP-94's P-3's will go to COMPATWING at JAX, probably to VP-45 or VP-11. VR-64, at Willow Grove was the guinea pig, and VR-54 will probably get a stablemate. VR-46's C-9's are supposed to be going to other C-9 units because the 2nd-hand DC9's in the fleet are going to the boneyard.
Made from jets!

DeltaMD11

Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:02 am

Jetjack,
I doubt that the BRAC committee will get rid of NXX for exactly those reasons that you've mentioned above, but damn it just seems like the base is just going by the wayside as far as activity is concerned. I fundamentally agree as well that it is bad policy to get rid of the res P-3 squadrons, but as the budgets keep getting tighter and tighter and the fact that the military has to string its resources out now more than ever the fat has to be trimmed somewhere. The good news is that VADM Cotton seems to believe in the base and recognize its potential. I did mean VR-52, had a bunch of squadrons flying through my head all at once...you know how that is. I've heard through the grapevine that VR-64 will be getting more 130's eventually and the possibility of another VR squad moving in. -52 is slated to begin receiving C-40's in 2007 I believe, last time I had the chance to talk with one of their jetjocks. That has probably changed as well knowing how things operate (P.S. you know anything about the C-40's?)

Bryan
Too often we ... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. - John Fitzgerald Kennedy

jetjack74

Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:06 am

Quoting DeltaMD11 (Reply 39):
doubt that the BRAC committee will get rid of NXX for exactly those reasons that you've mentioned above, but damn it just seems like the base is just going by the wayside as far as activity is concerned

Well, this is just a change in the strategic use of the base. It's good that it keeps getting new lease on it's life.

Quoting DeltaMD11 (Reply 39):
I fundamentally agree as well that it is bad policy to get rid of the res P-3 squadrons

Well, the reserve P-3's should go at this point. They don't really deploy as much as they used to, there aren't as much of a use anymore except for drug patrols. Makes them somewhat of a waste. The aircraft from the active units are reaching the end of their useful life, and the reserve aircraft have so much fewer hours on them. But what I mean't was, I think it's bad that the Navy open up the VR community to RegNav sailors. The reason, VR is a completely different Navy. It is a very laid-back atmosphere, and when you get someone from the fleet who comes into a squadron which does not operate the same as a carrier-based, full-time active squadron. Working with reservists is a very different enviroment. That's why I think it's a bad idea. Hard-chargers work fine out at sea, but it not make for a pleasant working enviroment. It still tentative at this point in time.
Made from jets!

DeltaMD11

Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:38 am

They don't even utilize them on the drug patrols. Last year they stationed a USCS P-3 AWACS here for some time last spring/summer to do border patrol near Canada. To think that the res mission used to be so huge and has all but flickered out over the last 10-15 years is a shame. They have already taken the low hour reserve P-3's from VP-66 and have given them higher hour models from active as far as I know.

Cadet985

Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:08 pm

I can't see NASJRB Willow Grove closing. It's a crucial base for the PAANG and USAFR. Close Willow Grove, and I can't think of any place you could really move the aircraft currently stationed there. If anything, I think that NXX is the BEST place to have some sort of aircraft on standby in case someone tries to repeat 9/11 on Philly.

Just my 2 cents.

Marc

jetjack74

Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:17 pm

People were terrified, back when the Marine Corps A-4 squadron decommed, and then H-53 helo unit, joined MAG49.
Made from jets!

STT757

Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:44 am

Quoting Cadet985 (Reply 42):
If anything, I think that NXX is the BEST place to have some sort of aircraft on standby in case someone tries to repeat 9/11 on Philly.

Just my 2 cents.

Marc

The NJANG has the 177th Fighter Wing based at Atlantic City, they operate F-16s and have been doing CAP patrols over NYC and Washington DC since 9-11. They provide coverage from NYC-Washington DC along the East Coast, Willow Grove does not have air-air combat aircraft. They have A-10s, C-130s, P-3s, H-53s, and C-9s.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

NBGSkyGod

Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:26 pm

That too is another reason why NBG will hopefully stay off the list, we are one of 3 Alert bases on the gulf coast. Ellington Field in Houston, and Tyndall are the others.

fredplt

Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:18 am

Anything said here is nothing but rumor, but I will add to it. From what I heard the Air Force will lose four bases. Beale, Altus, Shaw and Columbus. The U2s would move to Nellis, C5s are already leaving Altus and I heard whispers of the Tanker unit going to McConnell, and the 17s possbly going to Charleston. RUMORS of course. Columbus has a lot of Airspace Issues with Birmingham and Memphis, so that would make sense.
I also noticed someone asked about Buckley. That won't be going anywhere, its a Space and Missle base, I have been there to pick up NASA stuff and bring it to Cape Kennedy, it was just re-opened and I doubt they will close it again so quickly, but who knows, these base closures never make sense.
Why don't we put everything in one spt, that way it would be easier for the enemy to destroy it all?!?!

jetjack74

Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:59 am

Quoting STT757 (Reply 44):
The NJANG has the 177th Fighter Wing based at Atlantic City, they operate F-16s and have been doing CAP patrols over NYC and Washington DC since 9-11. They provide coverage from NYC-Washington DC along the East Coast, Willow Grove does not have air-air combat aircraft. They have A-10s, C-130s, P-3s, H-53s, and C-9s.

There's a good chance that NAS / JRB (NXX / KNXX), USA - Pennsylvania">NXX could recieve a reserve F/A-18 squadron if the DOD closes or realigns Dobbins ARB/NAS Atlanta.
Made from jets!

jetjack74

Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:23 am

Quoting Fredplt (Reply 46):
From what I heard the Air Force will lose four bases. Beale, Altus, Shaw and Columbus

I'm told that Hanscom AFB in Bedford, MA is on the chopping block while Altus having the C-17/KC-135 Air Ops school being there makes it somewhat safer from the BRAC.
Made from jets!

fredplt

Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:27 am

Hanscom would be an excellent choice to close, no need for it to be there, but that would mean NO Air Force bases in New England, and that has been the only reason it has survived to this point. It will be interesting to see. Altus is a decent place, but the same thing could be done at other places. The school house being so far away from actual units is good, it will be interesting to see what happens. The C5s are moving to Kelly/Lackland for training now. Good for me, bad for the 17 and 135 folk.