A5XX
Topic Author

Sailor Sucked Into An A6 Engine

Thu May 05, 2005 12:20 am

Hello guys;

I remember seeing on tv a sailor being sucked into an A6 engine on board an aircraft carrier. Can anyone providem me with a link to this video?

Thanks.
we are the boeing... resistance is futile...You will be assimilated

B742

RE: Sailor Sucked Into An A6 Engine

Thu May 05, 2005 12:30 am

I have this video!

I'll try and upload it for you!

Rob!

OPNLguy

Thu May 05, 2005 12:36 am

ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

tockeyhockey

Thu May 05, 2005 12:38 am

that is awesome! the best part is that he lived to tell about it. amazing.

after seeing a documentary on the making of the ge-90 and watching it turn frozen chickens into scalopini, i am amazed that this guy survived.

A5XX
Topic Author

Thu May 05, 2005 12:47 am

Thanks guys!

One more question. Were having a discussions at work, and most of the guy think the guy passed through the engine, and exited at the rear. It's impossible.

I'm sure he was pulled out of the engine inlet side, not the exhaust side. What do you think?

QQFLYER28

Thu May 05, 2005 12:52 am

From the video it looks like he got sucked all the way through, but I would agree, that would have to be very close to impossible. WHat are the odds of the crewman missing all of the turbine blades? Either way I hope he played the lottery at the next port, since he was one lucky guy.

curlyheadboy

Thu May 05, 2005 12:53 am

I saw this video before but never the complete version. Unbelievable that he survived.  Wow! I guess he was stuck into the bypass duct and that the engine core crushed swallowing parts breaking away from the first stage...
If God had wanted men to fly he would have given them more money...

OPNLguy

Thu May 05, 2005 12:53 am

Quoting A5XX (Reply 4):
I'm sure he was pulled out of the engine inlet side, not the exhaust side. What do you think?

By virtue of the fact that he's pictured intact in the video, and not sliced and diced from the engine, I'd say your assessment that he came back out the inlet side is a correct one...  Wink
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

SBN580

Thu May 05, 2005 12:58 am

There was a metal grate covering the engine intake as I believe they were just doing an engine run. That's how he survived. A lot of his gear got sucked on through the other side. I saw this video first when I worked at NASA Dryden. Working around F-18s and 16s, like they do everyday at Dryden, you need to know where to step and where not to step!

Strange, but true and downright scary tales of the flightline and carrier deck in the US Navy can be read at: http://www.safetycenter.navy.mil/media/approach/default.htm. Or by getting a copy. Scariest thing I ever saw in that mag was a small piece of metal protruding from the white of an eyeball! Yeeesh!
North Central: Good People Made Their Airline Great! FLY MD-90 POWER! Keep 'em Flying DELTA Family!

A5XX
Topic Author

Thu May 05, 2005 1:05 am

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 7):

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 7):
Quoting A5XX (Reply 4):

By virtue of the fact that he's pictured intact in the video, and not sliced and diced from the engine, I'd say your assessment that he came back out the inlet side is a correct one...

Thanks!  bouncy 

I just made $100.00

biggrin 

HaveBlue

Thu May 05, 2005 1:26 am

Guys, it is impossible to pass thru a jet turbine in one piece. And there was no mesh grate over the engine inlet, and it wasn't just an engine run.

The A-6 was getting ready to cat, the guy got sucked into the engine inlet, his flightsuit caught on a pitot tube in the inlet. Parts of his gear and/or stuff in his pockets got sucked into the engine and FOD'ed it, which explains the fireworks coming out of the exhaust.

Yes, a VERY lucky guy. But noone is lucky enough to go thru an engine. If you've ever seen the design of the internal parts of the engine and how it works, you'd understand.
Here Here for Severe Clear!

L-188

Thu May 05, 2005 2:54 am

Quoting HaveBlue (Reply 10):
The A-6 was getting ready to cat, the guy got sucked into the engine inlet, his flightsuit caught on a pitot tube in the inlet. Parts of his gear and/or stuff in his pockets got sucked into the engine and FOD'ed it, which explains the fireworks coming out of the exhaust.

There is a longer version of the video where you see him sliding out the inlet after the engines shuts down.

I think what actually killed the engine was the fact that when he got stuck on that EPR pitot he blocked the airflow to the engine which caused a compressor stall, plus he was breaking navy rules and had some stuff in his pockets that went into the engine, plus I think I remember his cranial got sucked off and that is what finally killed the engine.

All of which contributed to the light show in back.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

WrenchBender

Thu May 05, 2005 3:55 am

This was shown for years at Flight Safety briefs in the Military.
As HaveBlue said the A/C was being positioned to Cat, a trainee was hooking up the link, his supervisor went in to check the hookup and got ingested. His Floater vest got hooked up on the T1/P2 probe, that saved his life. His Cranial and ear defenders came off thats what blew the engine. In the long video you can see about 6 guys standing around trying to figure out what FOD'ed the engine and the guy wriggles out of the intake and drops at their feet.

WrenchBender
Silly Pilot, Tricks are for kids.......

f4wso

Thu May 05, 2005 6:59 am

He was lucky to not have any lung damage from low pressure in the inlet. A crewshief at Springfield got sucked into a Phantom inlet in the mid-eighties. He had a lot of the capillaries in his lungs burst from the pressure drop.

I knew a pilot that set the aircraft forms in the inlet of an RF-101 while he did his walkaround. He didn't remember they were there until he was at cruise altitude on the way home. Upon shutdown, the whole book of forms were flat against the compressor face. No damage done to the engine.
Gary
Cottage Grove, MN
Seeking an honest week's pay for an honest day's work

tnsaf

Thu May 05, 2005 8:44 am

Earlier in its career with the Canadian Forces a civilian refueler got sucked into an F-18 inlet and did not survive. He was actually behind the inlet and the engine was at fairly low power, showing the suction on these engines.
700 hours and counting...

ShyFlyer

Thu May 05, 2005 9:05 am

Quoting CURLYHEADBOY (Reply 6):
Unbelievable that he survived

I agree! I nearly hit the floor when the video's narrator said that he survived.  crazy   eyepopping 
I lift things up and put them down.

jetjack74

Sat May 07, 2005 9:03 am

Quoting HaveBlue (Reply 10):

That was on the Roosevelt during the 93 med cruise. I know who the guy was. I was manned-up at deck-edge for the arresting gear as a trainee, waiting for the first recovery. In this incident, that was a chief petty officer in the Safety department. What he was doing was taking a closer look at the hold-back arrestor, when the Topside PO gave the pilot the signal to power up. He should not of done that. He should've fouled the deck. But he walks in to the suction of bird powered up. Because of that, the launch and recovery was suspended, the birds that were flying were sent to the beach, and a safety standown was conducted over 4 days, in which that chief had to go on the closed-circuit TV and preach about how not to be a bonehead. I remember watching the video. You can see a clip of it at the end of the video link.
Made from jets!

JeffM

Sat May 07, 2005 9:05 am

I love the way he fell like a ragdoll when he came out.

SATL382G

Sat May 07, 2005 10:54 am

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 16):
In this incident, that was a chief petty officer in the Safety department. What he was doing was taking a closer look at the hold-back arrestor, when the Topside PO gave the pilot the signal to power up. He should not of done that. He should've fouled the deck. But he walks in to the suction of bird powered up.

Who was the "bonehead"? The CPO from the Safety dept or the Topside PO?
"There’s nothing quite as exhilarating as being shot at and missed" --Winston Churchill

jetjack74

Sat May 07, 2005 1:21 pm

the Safety Chief. The Topside PO didn't see him. That's why the Chief had to appear on TRTV for the Safety Brief. He ended up getting out with a few blemishes on his record. He was held responsible for FOD-ing out the A6, He was saved by the his cranial, he could've been ingested into the engine.
Made from jets!

sonic67

Sun May 08, 2005 6:25 am

I don't belive he exited the
[quote=L-188,reply=11]There is a longer version of the video where you see him sliding out the inlet after the engines shuts down.

I agree with HaveBlue he must have got wedged in the inlet. He's lucky it wasn't a Tomcat or he would have been made into hamburger meat.

tombstone 
Greg

LMP737

Sun May 08, 2005 8:36 am

Quoting Sonic67 (Reply 20):
I agree with HaveBlue he must have got wedged in the inlet. He's lucky it wasn't a Tomcat or he would have been made into hamburger meat.

The engines on the Tomcat, both the TF-30 and F110, have fixed inlet guide vanes. So it is possible to get sucked in and only lose an arm or a leg. Not that it's any consolation.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

curlyheadboy

Sun May 08, 2005 9:39 am

Some of you have a link to the complete video?
If God had wanted men to fly he would have given them more money...

jetjack74

Sun May 08, 2005 9:43 am

Quoting Sonic67 (Reply 20):
I don't belive he exited the

Well yes, he fell from the intake after in fodded out.
Made from jets!

sonic67

Sun May 08, 2005 12:07 pm

Quoting LMP737 (Reply 21):
The engines on the Tomcat, both the TF-30 and F110, have fixed inlet guide vanes. So it is possible to get sucked in and only lose an arm or a leg. Not that it's any consolation.

LMP737 I didn't know that. I just assumed that it was feasible because the intakes are large. Your right any kind incident of that kind is major.

smile 

dash8tech

Fri May 20, 2005 12:42 am

The A-6 has fixed guide vanes too. I worked on them in VA-196, 92-97, USS Carl Vinson. It was my understanding from this incident that he got wedged between the bullet and the inside of the duct, there are no probes external to the fixed vanes that would have caught him.

DeltaGuy

Sat May 21, 2005 1:53 am

Ahhh, the good ol Chuckie V Big grin

The intake I'd be most afraid of on deck would have been the A-7...beautiful plane, but sure is deadly on the cat. You'd watch it go to full mil, and it'd try to suck every last bit of steam out of that cat..you could see the steam form a little snake-like stream. Pretty sweet to watch, but get anywhere near it, goodnight sir!

How I do miss those birds  Sad

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

IntruderPC

Sun May 22, 2005 4:23 am

I served 2 1/2 years in A6 Intruders during the VietNam era. From the video the CPO who went in to check the cat hookup, violated two prime flight deck regs. #1 he went in from the side while close to a true upright position. He should have come in much, much lower on his knees, form the front in a low attitude, or come in from behind the intake under the belly. #2 He was said to have loose objects in his pockets while the flight deck was in flight ops mode.
I would think that he would have gotten NJP for that violation. That he did survive because his floater caught on the pitot was plain blind luck. If the A6 was at launch power the vest would have ripped even if caught. The A6 engine is that powerful. Yes he should have played the lottery at next port of call. Or he should have gotten a very serious case of religion!
A-6's and Navy Air forever!!!

AirEMS

Sun May 22, 2005 9:10 am

Just a fun little fact on this video he named his son Jet who was born not too long after the incident

Fly Safe
- Carl
If Your Dying Were Flying

747400sp

Sat May 28, 2005 2:01 am

He should really praise god that he is alive!

KennyK

Sat May 28, 2005 7:41 am

I heard of a fatal accident where a guy was sucked into a BAe 146 engine and they are not that big an engine, but big enough.