View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jeremy Irish/Cactus Wings
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © David J Madzelonka

What's the problem?

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

jaybird

RE: Misuse Of The Term "Air Force One"

Mon May 16, 2005 8:26 am

Air Force One is ANY plane that the U.S. President is on .. Piper Cub, 747, whatever .. it's not a SPECIFIC aircraft - it's the aircraft a President happens to be in on any given moment ..

EMBQA

Mon May 16, 2005 8:36 am

Air Force One is ANY plane that the U.S. President is on

Air Force One is any US AIR FORCE aircraft that the President is on, I don't think they own any J-3 Cub's...  Wink
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

Starlionblue

Mon May 16, 2005 8:42 am

So the world is full of ignorant people who don't care. YAwn...
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots."

SATL382G

Mon May 16, 2005 10:42 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Thread starter):
It drives me crazy when people assume a VC-25 is Air Force One.

It drives me a bit bonkers when folks who know relatively little about the situation get upset and drive threads that go on and on about what the damn callsign is.

When I worked the Air Force 1 detail at Andrews it was always the Air Force 1 detail regardless of wether the President was aboard the aircraft or not. If you asked the cop at the gate how to get to the Air Force 1 complex he could help you -- If you asked for the SAM 28000 complex he'd look at you funny.

The crew on the aircraft always refered to the VC25 as either Air Force 1, or Air Force 1 (Primary) and Air Force 1 (Backup). For short they used Primary and Backup. This applies to common conversation only. When the pilot talks to tower he is going to use "Air Force 1" or "SAM 2x000" for a callsign.

Hey check this out. It's even called Air Force 1 on the aircrafts website -- I can guarantee you the Prez was not aboard when they took the photo at Rushmore.

http://public.andrews.amc.af.mil/vc25a.htm

So lets take a deep breath and remember the following:

Air Force 1 is...

A. The callsign used by an Air Force aircraft that the President is aboard.

and

B. The popular name for the Air Force aircraft that is reserved for the Presidents use, the VC25. Any of the big shots in D.C. can order up a junket in a C-32, they can not ask for the VC25. The VC25 is controlled/tasked thru the White House Military Office for White House use.

any questions?

[Edited 2005-05-16 03:49:21]
"There’s nothing quite as exhilarating as being shot at and missed" --Winston Churchill

OzLAME

Mon May 16, 2005 11:31 am

Is it the case that Dubya's helicopter is 'Marine One'? I guess that the aircraft that took him to the carrier for his 'major combat is over' speech was 'Navy One' for the day, would that be correct? If he happened to go up in a Coast Guard C-130 would that be 'Coast Guard One'?
Monty Python's Flying Circus has nothing to do with aviation, except perhaps for Management personnel.

jhooper

Mon May 16, 2005 12:35 pm

Quoting OzLAME (Reply 5):
I guess that the aircraft that took him to the carrier for his 'major combat is over' speech was 'Navy One' for the day, would that be correct?

Yes, indeed. The a/c was called "Navy One". In fact, I think they actually painted it on the side.

Quoting Jaybird (Reply 1):
Air Force One is ANY plane that the U.S. President is on .. Piper Cub, 747, whatever .. it's not a SPECIFIC aircraft - it's the aircraft a President happens to be in on any given moment ..

A civilian aircraft with the prez on board = EXECUTIVE ONE.
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

garnetpalmetto

Mon May 16, 2005 12:56 pm

Is it the case that Dubya's helicopter is 'Marine One'?

Only if it's a Marine Corps helicopter. If it was an Air Force helo it would be Air Force One or if it were a US Army UH-60, it would be Army One.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

KC135R

Mon May 16, 2005 1:57 pm

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Thread starter):
It drives me crazy when people assume a VC-25 is Air Force One.

Details... Wink

Is it the case that Dubya's helicopter is 'Marine One'? I guess that the aircraft that took him to the carrier for his 'major combat is over' speech was 'Navy One' for the day, would that be correct?

All correct, now who knows the story as to why they started using these callsigns??? I'll give you a hint, it had to do with a close call.

NBGSkyGod

Tue May 17, 2005 10:54 am

If I remember right, it was a trip when Kennedy was flying somewhere, and a PanAm (or other now defunct carrier) had a nearly similar callsign to the presidential aircraft.
Pilots are idots, who at any given moment will attempt to kill themselves or others.

KC135R

Fri May 20, 2005 2:07 pm

Quoting NBGskygod (Reply 9):
If I remember right, it was a trip when Kennedy was flying somewhere, and a PanAm (or other now defunct carrier) had a nearly similar callsign to the presidential aircraft.

Close - from Wikipedia:

The call signs were established for security purposes during the administration of Dwight D. Eisenhower, the first American president to have been a pilot in his own right. The change stemmed from a 1953 incident where an Eastern Airlines commercial flight (8610) had the same callsign as a flight the President was on (Air Force 8610). The planes accidentally entered the same airspace, and after the incident the unique call sign "Air Force One" was made for the presidential aircraft.

KevinSmith

Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:16 pm

I guess that the aircraft that took him to the carrier for his 'major combat is over' speech was 'Navy One' for the day, would that be correct?

This is that aircraft. It has since been retired and placed on display at the National Museum of Naval Aviation.

Quoting Jhooper (Reply 6):
The a/c was called "Navy One". In fact, I think they actually painted it on the side

Sure did. You can see it in the picture just above the VS-35 towards the tail. It's hard to make out but it also says "George W Bush Commander in Chief" under the pilot's window.

[Edited 2007-02-03 06:21:22]

[Edited 2007-02-03 06:21:59]
Learning to fly, but I ain't got wings.

unattendedbag

Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:42 pm

Quoting KC135R (Reply 10):
from Wikipedia:

a 1953 incident where an Eastern Airlines commercial flight (8610) had the same callsign as a flight the President was on (Air Force 8610).

What was an Eastern Airlines aircraft doing using an Air Force callsign?
Slower traffic, keep right

ShyFlyer

Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:17 pm

Quoting UnattendedBag (Reply 12):
What was an Eastern Airlines aircraft doing using an Air Force callsign?

The Eastern flight was using Eastern 8610 as a call sign. The confusion resulted from the same numbers being used.
I lift things up and put them down.

PC12Fan

Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:02 am

I know this will raise a red flag, but I have also heard this call sign used for the First Lady as well when she flew on the C-37 (BBJ) into STL.
Just when I think you've said the stupidest thing ever, you keep talkin'!

dc8jet

Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:58 am

Most likely 8610 was the Eastern flight number. 8610 was the tail number of
the VC-121 that Eisenhower was on. Airliners use their flight number as part of their call sign while other aircraft use their tail number or registration.

ShyFlyer

Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:21 pm

Quoting PC12Fan (Reply 14):
I have also heard this call sign used for the First Lady

Are you sure it wasn't Executive One Foxtrot?

deskflier

Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:10 am

So, if GWB decides to help out on the family ranch, by doing some airborne crop-dusting, the crop-duster he is flying becomes Executive One?
How can anyone not fly, when we live at a time when we can fly?

ShyFlyer

Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:57 am

Quoting Deskflier (Reply 17):
the crop-duster he is flying becomes Executive One?

This is correct. Now the likelyhood of that happening is another question.  Smile

JetBlueGuy2006

Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:52 am

Quoting SATL382G (Reply 4):
So lets take a deep breath and remember the following:

Air Force 1 is...

A. The callsign used by an Air Force aircraft that the President is aboard.

and

B. The popular name for the Air Force aircraft that is reserved for the Presidents use, the VC25. Any of the big shots in D.C. can order up a junket in a C-32, they can not ask for the VC25. The VC25 is controlled/tasked thru the White House Military Office for White House use.

Couldn't have said it better myself. If the White House Loans one of the aircraft out say for a pres. funeral, many will refer to it as SAM 28000 or 29000.

Although, from what I remember of Ronald Regan and Gerald Ford's Funerals, SAM 29000 was loaned by the White House for both, at the authorization of George W. Bush

edit: Tail Numbers

[Edited 2007-02-05 22:54:42]
Home Airport: Capital Region International Airport (KLAN)

zanl188

Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:53 am

Quoting JetBlueGuy2006 (Reply 19):
Couldn't have said it better myself. If the White House Loans one of the aircraft out say for a pres. funeral, many will refer to it as SAM 28000 or 29000.

Although, from what I remember of Ronald Regan and Gerald Ford's Funerals, SAM 29000 was loaned by the White House for both, at the authorization of George W. Bush

Very Cool! Someone remembered a good point from the other thread. Even the aircraft used for Ford & Reagans funerals were tasked by the White House so never left the White House Military Office' operational control.

ZANL188
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe