747400sp
Topic Author

USS Belleau Wood LHA-3 Sail For The Final Time.

Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:40 am

Today the amiphlbeus assaut ship USS Belleau Wood LHA-3 which, has carry many of marries Harrier/ Helicopter and LCAC, took it's last voyage. It pull into San Diego today with a S-3 Sea King flying around her so it could take photos of the crew manning the 800 foot long flight deck. The USS Belleau Wood was the first amiphb base in Japan. It was part of the biggest hull swap in US Navy history when it swap homeport from Japan to San Diego with the USS Essex LHD-2. This ship has played it's part in marries aviation. This ship was also feature as Antone ship in the movie Antone Fisher.

The Belleau Wood will be decommission this fall, And I am glad I had a chance to serve on her.

DeltaGuy

RE: USS Belleau Wood LHA-3 Sail For The Final Time.

Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:40 am

So it is going to be mathballed up in Bremerton? I'd assume it will be, that's where most boats go.

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

j.mo

Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:22 am

We worked with the Belleau Wood in the early 90's. I was on the USS Arkansas (CGN-41) and we used to always be near San Dog screwing around.

Ahhh, good times!   

JM

[Edited 2005-07-13 03:27:33]

747400sp
Topic Author

Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:57 pm

It is not going to Bremerton, it is going to used as a target, brown up and sunk to the bottom of the ocean.

HaveBlue

Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:13 pm

Quoting 747400sp (Reply 3):
It is not going to Bremerton, it is going to used as a target, brown up and sunk to the bottom of the ocean.

I hate when they brown up a beautiful ship...

Smile
Here Here for Severe Clear!

PSAjet17

Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:56 am

My father was the Master Chief of the Command on the USS New Orleans (LPH-11) when the Tarawa (LHA-1) first reported to San Diego. My mother had just taken over as ombudsman for the New Orleans. The Admiral met on a monthly basis with the ombudsman for the Amphibious Fleet. They decided to meet on the Tarawa to show it's capabilities off. They were all in the officers' mess and a video was playing describing Tarawa and just when they came to the part that mentioned that it's generators put out enough electricity to supply over 10,000 houses, everything went off. No lights, no video. You can imagine how the Admiral felt at this point.

DeltaGuy

Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:40 am

Quoting 747400sp (Reply 3):
It is not going to Bremerton, it is going to used as a target, brown up and sunk to the bottom of the ocean

Unfortunately that's probably true...so is the fate of many ships for the forseeable future.

Quoting J.mo (Reply 2):
I was on the USS Arkansas (CGN-41)

I remember seeing her being cut up into razor blades at Bremerton back in 98-ish  Sad Sad to see that whole nuke fleet go away.

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

Cadet985

Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:04 pm

The Navy is in very sorry shape. Each year, more and more ships are decommissioned, and they're not replaced. I can't find official figures, but I'd be willing to bet that the US Navy is no longer the world's largest. I'd guess that title now belongs to China or Russia.

garnetpalmetto

Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:00 pm

Quoting Cadet985 (Reply 7):
but I'd be willing to bet that the US Navy is no longer the world's largest. I'd guess that title now belongs to China or Russia.

Not by a longshot.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

Woodreau

Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:02 pm

but I'd be willing to bet that the US Navy is no longer the world's largest.

True, the US Army's got the largest navy in the world, more boats in the Army than the Navy has ships  Smile
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

dl021

Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:03 am

She will be replaced by a new LHD. We will more than likely keep her in reserve for the immediate future, then see what her final disposition will be. I think the British ought to buy it instead of building new carriers. It'll hold all the JSFs they want and it will act as an assault carrier.

Speaking about ships being put out to pasture, I just saw one of the last FFGs (#52) in the fleet down in Savannah after the 4th of July weekend. It had the forward Mk 13 launcher removed, and no RAM launcher in its place. It looked like someone replaced the mechanism with a Sea Sparrow launcher.

The Navy is in very sorry shape. Each year, more and more ships are decommissioned, and they're not replaced. I can't find official figures, but I'd be willing to bet that the US Navy is no longer the world's largest. I'd guess that title now belongs to China or Russia.

The US Navy is still, and will be for the foreseeable future the most powerful navy in the entire world. As a matter of fact it could almost undoubtedly clear the seas of any traffic it did not wish to have on the open ocean. The only navies that could even band together to challenge the USN would be all the nuclear navies of Europe (our allies) and the Russians if they could get all their vessels working and manned.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

Ant72LBA

Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:55 am

The perceived "weakness" of the US Navy is down solely to the complete absence of an "enemy". I'd rather suspect that the British and French Navies are the 2nd and 3rd most powerful (in terms of effectiveness rather than absolute numbers) in the world (in no order) and more likely to assist than resist the USN.

N328KF

Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:17 am

This is an overly pessimistic, and misinformed assessment. The PLAN and Russian Navy are much smaller and less powerful. The U.S. Navy is huge in comparison, mostly because it has to cover more ground. And the Navy commissions new ships every year, particularly DDG-51 Flight IIs.

-JPH
When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'Present' or 'Not guilty.' -Theodore Roosevelt

N1641

Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:57 am

wierd my brother is on the Belleau Wood, you'd think I would have heard of this earlier

kentblair

Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:49 pm

I sailed aboard the Belleau Wood Jan-Jun 1989. We had a great deployment, I was a jarhead Huey pilot . I'm hoping to upload some pictures soon, but for grins, here's a pic shot from the USS Duluth. Waaaaaaay out on the horizon is "Mother"

http://www.myaviation.net/search/photo_search.php?id=00402854#

"Clark"
"Clark"