psa188

Save Moffett Hangar One

Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:00 am

The Navy wants to tear down historic Hangar One at former NAS Moffett Field. On Thursday, August 18, from 5 to 6:30 pm the Navy will be holding an Informational Poster Session on the alternatives for cleaning up Hangar 1. NASA and the regulatory agencies will also be on hand.

There will be a more formal Alternatives Workshop from 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm.

Both will take place at Moffett Field Building 943, to the right before the Main Gate (Moffett Blvd.

See this website:
http://www.savehangarone.org/node/71

DeltaGuy

RE: Save Moffett Hangar One

Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:24 am

That's a damn shame. That hangar is a cornerstone remnant of the Navy's lighter than air program, and is one of the largest and highly recognized hangars around. Hope they save her, why is it on the debate table in the first place?

I know the two largest wooden structures in the world reside at the (former) MCAS Tustin, down to the south in Santa Ana...they once also served as Navy blimp hangars. Apparently the city is totally bulldozing the entire base, and wants to demolish at least one hangar. What a waste.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © AirNikon
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Michael Baldock

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

ramprat74

Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:03 pm

Their's one remaining blimp hangar at the former Tillamook NAS. This one is larger then the ones at Tustin. Blimp Hangar B deserves recognition as the largest free-standing wooden structure in the nation. Built in 1943, the hangar measures 192 feet high and 296 feet wide, and is 1,072 feet long. Over seven acres of land is enclosed inside.

You can see where the second hangar was before it burned to the ground.

L-188

Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:32 pm

Boy those at Tustin would make one hell of a set of artist lofts if the city where to go that route.

Waste of a hanger, but better then demolishing a historic building.

At least Tillimook had the common sense to save theirs.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

psa188

Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:31 am

Quoting DeltaGuy (Reply 1):
That's a damn shame. That hangar is a cornerstone remnant of the Navy's lighter than air program, and is one of the largest and highly recognized hangars around. Hope they save her, why is it on the debate table in the first place?

The debate is taking place because there's toxic stiff in the hangar's exterior panels [PCBs?] that are leeching off into runoff water and into the Bay. The debate is how to fix this and the Navy has ruled out any option that does not involve tearing the hangar down. I urge anyone in the Bay Area to attend the event on the 18th.

DeltaGuy

Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:33 am

No surprise. Seems any Navy building built before the 80's is loaded with contaminants. The Navy's universal solution is to destroy the building, rather than to screw with it. The same saga is happening over here at NAS Pensacola, where the Navy wants to destroy something like 40 historic buildings that were damaged by Hurricane Ivan, instead of putting the money into them to fix em.

Ramprat74, had no idea that was THE largest wooden structure. I will revise my statement to say that Tustin's are SOME of the largest wooden structures  Smile I'll bet that "AIR MUSEUM" required some pretty large letters!

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

ghostbase

Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:23 am

Quoting RampRat74 (Reply 2):
Their's one remaining blimp hangar at the former Tillamook NAS. This one is larger then the ones at Tustin. Blimp Hangar B deserves recognition as the largest free-standing wooden structure in the nation. Built in 1943, the hangar measures 192 feet high and 296 feet wide, and is 1,072 feet long. Over seven acres of land is enclosed inside.

Thanks for pointing that out RampRat, I did not know that Tillamook was larger. Need to make a change to a certain website  Wink

Interesting to see the door pillars still standing from the hangar that burnt down. Surreal sight.

IIRC there is a site on the East Coast somewhere which still has a similar massive pair of concrete door pillars but no hangar.

ghost 
"I chase my dreams but I never seem to arrive"

CaptOveur

Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:13 pm

What condition is the Hangar in structurally?

It is wood and near the ocean, and over 60 years old. If it hasn't been kept up it may be a matter of time before it comes down on its own.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

MidnightMike

Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:35 pm

That's a shame! I worked out of those Blimp Hangars when I was in the Navy, they are huge!
NO URLS in signature

jetjack74

Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:09 am

From my last DET with my reserve unit, we fueled through Moffet for on our way Hawaii.
Made from jets!

psa188

Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:52 am

Remember, on Thursday, August 18, from 5 to 6:30 pm the Navy will be holding an Informational Poster Session on the alternatives for cleaning up Hangar 1. NASA and the regulatory agencies will also be on hand. There will be a more formal Alternatives Workshop from 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm.

Both will take place at Moffett Field Building 943, to the right before the Main Gate (Moffett Blvd.

Building 943 is to the right, before the main Moffett Gate
Moffett Field, CA, 94035
United States