bmacleod

Canada's Snowbirds - End Of The Line?

Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:38 am

With the crash of another Snowbird, it looks more like the end is near for Canada Aerobatic Snowbird Flying Squadron unless a replacement for the Snowbird is decided on soon.  pray 

However, the Canadian government has said it will be 2020 until it can replace the Snowbird aircraft...meaning we may have to face the next 15 years relying on the US Blue Angels or the Thunderbirds for Airshow performances.
The engine is the heart of an airplane, but the pilot is its soul.

Arrow

RE: Canada's Snowbirds - End Of The Line?

Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:45 am

It is waaay too soon for speculation like this. We have one crash that now appears to be mechanical, and a whole bunch that are pilot error. Even this one could have been caused by something external. Wait out the investigation. My guess is they've postponed performances until they can get at least a preliminary answer on what went wrong.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

MissedApproach

Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:47 am

From the Regina Leader-Post:

Defence Minister Bill Graham ruled out permanently grounding the aerobatic team. "We are looking at the options. When I was out there (at 15 Wing Moose Jaw) Monday, I was assured that the fleet had years of life left to it and we had time to examine what the appropriate options be. I'm still going on
that assumption unless I'm informed differently,'' Graham told reporters in
Regina Thursday.

I can understand flight restrictions until the specific cause of this crash can be determined, but disbanding the team would be excessive- & a shame, especially cosidering the kind of money the government wastes on it's pet projects.
Can you hear me now?

CPDC10-30

Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:06 am

It really is pretty sad. I used to be a big supporter but now I think the whole program should be shelved until it is funded properly with a decent aircraft, otherwise we are just putting more of our pilot's lives in danger.