Nimish
Topic Author

MIG A/c Down At BLR Airport?

Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:30 pm

My Travel agent has just sent me an email informing me that there's a MIG aircraft crashed at the end of the BLR runway, and consequently the runway is closed until 1800 IST. Anyone with more information?

The email I received:

Quote:

Dear Customer,

As you have almost certainly already heard via the media, a MIG Airforce Plane was crashed at the run-way of Bangalore Airport (HAL) at about 13h30, it's projected that the run-way will be closed untill 18h00 resulting cancellation of all flights.

We will, of course, keep you posted as reliable information becomes available.

Should you need further assistance / details, kindly contact your Travel Consultant.

From http://www.newkerala.com/news.php?action=fullnews&id=42133

Quote:

Bangalore: A MiG 21 of the Indian Air Force (IAF) crashed while taking off from the Bangalore airport at 1245 hrs today, but a test pilot and a test engineer of the Airforce Systems and Training Establishment (ASTE) on board managed to eject to safety.

IAF sources here said the pilots were safe and taken to the Command Hospital here.

Flights to and from Bangalore were affected following the incident. The staff of the Airports Authority of India are clearing the debris on the runway.

Latest Trip Report - GoAir BLR-BOM-BLR

HAWK21M

RE: MIG A/c Down At BLR Airport?

Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:26 am

Heard about that too from a friend in BLR.
Another MIG 21.Heard the Airport was shut for few hrs.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Pyrex

Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:51 am

How many MIG-21s has the IAF lost in the past two years? Every week there seems to be a crash. Something really has to be done.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

HAWK21M

Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:04 am

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 2):

The Problem is Transition from Sub sonic to Supersonic trainers not available with IAF & added by Mx problems to the Single Engined craft.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

blrsea

Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:28 am

The pilot died. tombstone  My condolences to his family. He was a brave man. He was a senior pilot, and hence not a case of trainee pilot here. Appears to be a technical issue. The aircraft belonged to ASTE( Aircraft systems and testing establishment).

Pilot killed as MiG-21 crashes