747400sp
Topic Author

Why Was The F-15 Built.

Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:16 am

Why was the F-15 built when the F-14 and the F-111 was all readily in service. Both the USN and USAF was using the F-4 way could the USAF use the F-14.

jwenting

RE: Why Was The F-15 Built.

Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:36 am

There was enormous interservice rivalry at the time.
The F-14 was also an older design, which was overweight for what the airforce wanted.
The Airforce spec also stated a single seat fighter, and longer time between maintenance than what the Navy had got with the F-14 (which was more than they bargained for).
The cost of the F-14 was also higher than what the AF wanted to pay.

F-111 had failed as a fighter, it had been originally intended to be a bomber for the airforce AND a fighter for the Navy (who in the end bought the F-14 instead).
I wish I were flying

lehpron

Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:47 am

Plus at the time, the US thought that the Soviet Mig-25 was just as superior, with composite materials, a high Vmax, and such...until it turned out to be a dragster only designed to catch up with a SR-71/XB-70 type aircraft, and attempt to shoot it down.

I think for attack/fighter/interceptor aircraft the Mig-25 "Foxbat" still holds the altitude and speed records. Either that of that special F-104 fitted with a rocket beat the altitude, I dono.
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

TheSonntag

Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:36 am

German Wikipedia states the following:

Parallel dazu beteiligte sich die US-Luftwaffe anfangs an der Entwicklung der Grumman F-14 Tomcat der US-Marine, die genau die Aufgaben übernehmen sollte, für die die Luftwaffe das TFX entwickelte. Man zog sich aus dem Tomcat-Projekt zurück, als sich langsam abzeichnete, wie die endgültige Tomcat aussehen würde (sehr stabil, um die hohen Belastungen bei Trägerlandungen auszuhalten, und unflexibel in der Avionik - die US-Luftwaffe bewies damals enorme Weitsicht).

Parallel to this the USAF also was involved in the development of the F-14, which was meant to do exactly what the TFX project intended to do. The Airforce went out of the Tomcat project when it became obvious how the final tomcat was meant to look like (very stable to cope with carrier landings, very unflexible in terms of avionics - the US Air Force showed a lot of far sight that time)

Of course, Wikipedia always should be regarded with caution, but I guess this article isn't wrong...

GDB

Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:05 am

Vietnam experience too, the AF wanted lots of power, plenty of agility, internal gun, as many AAM's as F-4.

dl021

Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:49 am

Two different airplanes.

The F-14 was designed with the USN specifically in mind, and their desire was for a long range interceptor.

The USAF wanted a dogfighter with high speed capability and extreme (for the day) maneuverability. The Eagle was exactly what the Air Farce wanted...and it certainly proved itself out both with us and others.

The F-14 was the greatest interceptor ever built, and it's still flying for another little while albeit as a bomber and recon aircraft, however it had limited exposure to combat. It would probably have done it's designed job (to shoot down Soviet bombers and cruise missiles at long distances from the fleet) very well.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

HaveBlue

Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:06 am

Quoting Lehpron (Reply 2):
I think for attack/fighter/interceptor aircraft the Mig-25 "Foxbat" still holds the altitude and speed records. Either that of that special F-104 fitted with a rocket beat the altitude, I dono.

The MiG-25 and F-104N (rocket assisted) fighters both achieved altitudes of over 100,000'... but only in zoom climbs. That is why the SR-71 holds the altitude record, because of its 85,000'+ ceiling in level flight. Much as the MiG-25 was capable of Mach 3+, but not continous and the engines then had to be replaced.
Here Here for Severe Clear!

Lurch

Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:06 am

The later MIG-25B does not need to replace its engines after a MACH-3 flight only the A models do as they are limited to MACH 2.8.

As was explained by the Russian MIG 25 Pilot who defected to Japan and later America as the record high speed flight the USAF recorded on RADAR in Japan was an accident.

Where the MIG pilot got his aircraft in a Shallow dive by mistake and by the time he tried to correct it was going over MACH-3 and had destroyed both engines SO he was basically gliding home.

The Iranian Air force used to be unable to chase down the Russian Airforce MIG-25Bs that crossed into there Airspace even with the F-14 phoenix missile combination!

Lumberton

Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:42 am

Quoting Lehpron (Reply 2):
Plus at the time, the US thought that the Soviet Mig-25 was just as superior, with composite materials, a high Vmax, and such...until it turned out to be a dragster

checkmark If you haven't already or you get the chance, see the episode in the "Wings" series: "Wings Of the Red Star" on the Foxbat. It details this quite well.
"When all is said and done, more will be said than done".

checksixx

Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:44 am

The F-15 was developed and fielded as an interceptor and was conceived because of the Mig-25. Plain, simple and factual answer for you.

-Check

Boeing Nut

Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:14 am

Quoting 747400sp (Thread starter):
Why Was The F-15 Built.

Too kick ass!!!!  bigthumbsup 
I'm not a real aeronautical engineer, I just play one on Airliners.net.

MigFan

Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:30 am

In the post-McNamara defense administration there was an effort to shy away from cross-service standardization. The F-4 served well during it's career. The USAF wanted their own design, and so did the USN. For a brief period of time, the F-14A was considered by the USAF, and underwent operational evaluation. I did get to see a picture of an F-14 in USAF markings! The F-15 was contemplated by the USN as the "Seagle". The most I ever seen of that was a concept drawing. I would image that complications in modifying the wing for carrier duty would sacrifice the Eagle's great range.
I think both aircraft would have performed exceptionally in whatever role they were found.
UH-60's suck!!!

Areopagus

Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:38 pm

Quoting Lurch (Reply 7):
the Russian MIG 25 Pilot who defected to Japan and later America

That would be Viktor Belenko.