AR1300
Topic Author

Stuka

Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:19 am

Why was the Stuka the most feared plane of WWII, from what I heard??What made it so special??whats so special in dive bombings??

Mike
You are now free to move about the cabin

kc135topboom

RE: Stuka

Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:36 am

The JU-87 was feared during the early part of WWII. It was a good dive bomber and was accurate. Some JU-87s had sirens on the wheel struts, that would cause panic on the ground.

They were very ruggered airplanes, able to operate at forward primitive airfields.

But, as the war went on, the Stuka became very ineffective. It had a very short range, and a limited bomb load (IIRC, only a 100kg [220lb] bomb load), and was not very manuverable, thus was easily caught by fighters. They were used effectively in Poland, France, the "Low Countries", and the Eastern Front in the USSR. But, they were almost useless in North Africa, the Battle of Britian, and the Norway areas.

They did have a limited anti-ship role, that was effective against the RN warships at Dunkirk.

The dive bombers of the USN and the IJN were much more effective.

dl021

Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:19 pm

The most feared aircraft in the Second World War was probably a tossup between the IL-2/10 Shturmovik and the large Allied bomber (B-17/24/29/Lancaster/Stirling/Halifax)...they were seemingly unstoppable by the enemy even when large numbers of fighters were present in the sky, and the enemy that saw these airplanes nothing was more frightening. It seemed that there were endless supplies of these airplanes as well as death raining down in their wake.

Quoting AR1300 (Thread starter):
Why was the Stuka the most feared plane of WWII, from what I heard??What made it so special??whats so special in dive bombings??

The Stuka was only effective when there was no fighter opposition.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

kc135topboom

Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:39 am

Quoting DL021 (Reply 2):
The Stuka was only effective when there was no fighter opposition.

Or when it had a significant Lufftwaffa CAP.

Gunships

Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:57 am

Like "KC-Boom" mentioned earlier, the sirens on some of the aircraft were meant to instill fear just by sound alone. From what I understand, it was a very effective psychological weapon.