columba

Less Eurofighters For German Air Force?

Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:04 pm

According to an article of the German magazine "Der Spiegel" some people in the SPD demand to renounce of the last Tranch of the Eurofighter.
"There are some projects which are more important like new heavy helicopters or the missle defence system MEADS," Hans-Peter Bartels said in an interview with the "Berliner Zeitung".
http://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschland/0,1518,393090,00.html
Link in German
It will forever be a McDonnell Douglas MD 80 , Boeing MD 80 sounds so wrong

jwenting

RE: Less Eurofighters For German Air Force?

Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:03 pm

Wouldn't be surprised. The left is always clamoring to reduce military expense in favour of projects that lead to more votes (like make-do jobs for unemployed people, increases in social security, and things like that).
I wish I were flying

pelican

Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:01 pm

Quoting Jwenting (Reply 1):
Wouldn't be surprised. The left is always clamoring to reduce military expense in favour of projects that lead to more votes (like make-do jobs for unemployed people, increases in social security, and things like that).

While I won't disagree in general, it doesn't seem to be true in this case. Heavy helicopters and MEADS don't qualify as populist policy. I would think new helicopters are at the moment more important than Eurofighters. Nontheless they shouldn't reduce the number of Eurofighters in favor of other projects, but buy both. Although I guess the German budget won't allow it.

pelican

jwenting

Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:50 pm

AFAIK those helis and missiles had been budgeted anyway...
I wish I were flying

dl021

Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:03 am

I really don't see them further reducing the EF buy. The economic impact and costs would be very painful to no good end.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

NoUFO

Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:25 am

What Spiegel has reported so far on Typhoon has almost always been wrong (with the exception of one TV report). They really are notorious for giving military related news a negative spin.

Quoting Jwenting (Reply 3):
AFAIK those helis and missiles had been budgeted anyway...

MEADS and midsize helis - yes, but not heavy lift helicopters.

Quoting Jwenting (Reply 1):
The left is always clamoring to reduce military expense

The recent left government has spend more money on Bundeswehr then the Kohl government did and brought more new projects on the way.

Anyway, I don't think the number of 180 Typhoons will be reduced. And by the way: After Iris-T, Taurus, a long range cruise missile that can be carried by both, Typhoons and Tornados, entered service on Dec 25.
I support the right to arm bears

columba

Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:56 am

According to FAZ, the CDU and Minister of Defence Jung does not want any shortage of the Eurofighter order -all 180 aircrafts will be taken.
I guess what the SPD man forgot is that the Eurofighter will also be used as a Tornado replacement and will also serve as fighter bomber.
He is right so far that we do not need 180 fighters but fighters and fighter bombers should not be less then that.
I believe that the airforce has fix number of 270 aircrafts in mind that they will keep:
180 Eurofighters and 70 Tornados (ECR/RECCE and maritime fighter bombers in use with the Luftwaffe now instead of the navy).

NoUFO

Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:23 am

Quoting Columba (Reply 6):
I believe that the airforce has fix number of 270 aircrafts in mind that they will keep:
180 Eurofighters and 70 Tornados (ECR/RECCE and maritime fighter bombers in use with the Luftwaffe now instead of the navy).

Could it be that you did even worse at maths than I did? Big grin
I support the right to arm bears

columba

Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:22 am

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 7):
Could it be that you did even worse at maths than I did?

Could be that is why I became a lawyer, no math needed.
It is a simple typo, though  Wink