kmh1956

Fighter Manufacture

Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:46 am

If this has been asked before, then I apologise. I'm doing an International Business course in college, and I'd like to use the defense spending on military aircraft in a discussion. What I need to find out is how much of say, an F/A-18 is actually completely manufactured in the USA? Is a lot of this outsourced overseas? What about the enginces on American fighters?

I'd appreciate help. I've got a really good GPA for an old broad, and I'd like to keep it!
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

jwenting

RE: Fighter Manufacture

Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:13 pm

Just about everything (at least for US aircraft, for export versions it can be different depending on contracts and customer choice) is built locally.
This is policy as the US doesn't want to be dependent on other countries for their national defense.

That's for the Hornet, for other types the story may be different (JSF for example is pretty much an all-NATO product with major components being developed in the UK and the Netherlands among others).
I wish I were flying

Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:46 am

While I don't know anything about the F-18, I suggest you take a look at the F-104 program of the early 1960's. The F-104 was a top line fighter aircraft and chosen by many countries as their primary fighter aircraft. Production lines were set up in Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Japan, and Italy. The F-104's produced in these factory's were as good, if not superior, to the F-104's being flown by the USAF.

jwenting

Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:37 pm

That is correct. But all aircraft for the USAF were produced from US supplied components only, and many core components for the European production lines were shipped over from the US.
The superiority lay mainly in the fact that the European line produced the G model where the US line produced mainly the A and C models.

Same with the F-16 20 years later.
I wish I were flying