Bobster2
Topic Author

Nasa Kills Triana

Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:57 am

http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/01/15/opinion/edpark.php

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I thought people would want to know.
"I tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn." Jim Morrison

TheSonntag

RE: Nasa Kills Triana

Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:54 am

It might be a sad move to cancel this project, but what really made me angry was this phrase:

Development began in November 1998 and it was ready for launching three years later. The cost was only about $100 million. For comparison, that is only one-thousandth the cost of the International Space Station, which serves no useful purpose.

Sorry, but comments like this disqualify the guy completely.

DfwRevolution

Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:12 am

Quoting TheSonntag (Reply 1):

checkmark 

Bobster2
Topic Author

Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:26 am

I apologize for posting a link to the biased editorial.

But I was not able to find any actual news stories about the cancellation. There are no press releases or announcements on the Nasa web site. There was an editorial in Science that mentioned the cancellation but it costs money to read it. That's all I could find.

The editorial was correct in saying that it was terminated "quietly".

[Edited 2006-01-16 02:27:55]
"I tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn." Jim Morrison

Thorny

Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:35 pm

Quoting TheSonntag (Reply 1):

Dr. Park has never seen a manned space program he didn't despise, so it should come as no surprise whatsoever that he uses every opportunity to bash manned spaceflight, even supporting a politically-motivated, scientifically dubious project like Triana to do so.

Triana was 100% political horse manure, fast tracked through a reluctant NASA by Vice President Gore (hence the nickname Goresat) and bypassing the usual peer review (versus other worthy science missions) to get funding. Even for Washington, D.C., the Goresat affair was jaw-droppingly brazen politics before a fast-approaching Presidential Election.

Although NASA did eventually add some real, quasi-useful science to the mission (beyond the original Earth Screen Saver camera that Gore wanted) the mission was so tainted by politics that few supporters would publicly push for it. The money that would have been wasted launching and operating Goresat can be much better spent working the bugs out of the next generation of real, useful environmental satellites (the problem-plagued NPOESS system) and getting them into orbit.