kc135topboom

Texas NG Units Mobilized

Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:04 am

Units of the TX ArNG are being mobilized for deployment to Iraq. The 136 ID (with Bradleys, and M-1A1/2 MBT) and 149 Av Btn (flying CH-47s, AH-64s, and UH-60s) are going to Ft. Hood for 6 months of training and desert equipment issue. In August they deploy to replace the Regular US Army 82 AB.

Godspeed, my friends. May everyone return home safely and unhurt.

CX747

RE: Texas NG Units Mobilized

Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:14 am

Godspeed and good luck.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

dl021

Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:27 pm

There is the possibility that their deployment will be curtailed based on troop level adjustments in theater.

Regardless, I too wish them Godspeed on their mission.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

LongbowPilot

Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:13 am

I would not recommend posting such troop and unit deployments on a public forum, specifically unit designations, dates, and equipment types. They are listening, watching, and researching as we are. Those operational turn over times could give the opposing force ideas.

It is nice you are wanting to tell everyone, but think of who else will get this info. Respect the troops and the familes of them and do not post such items.

I ask this because I am a deployed soldier.

kc135topboom

Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:44 am

Quoting LongbowPilot (Reply 3):
I would not recommend posting such troop and unit deployments on a public forum, specifically unit designations, dates, and equipment types. They are listening, watching, and researching as we are. Those operational turn over times could give the opposing force ideas.

It is nice you are wanting to tell everyone, but think of who else will get this info. Respect the troops and the familes of them and do not post such items.

I ask this because I am a deployed soldier.

You are correct, I shouldn't have listed the units. I could have been generic.

LongbowPilot

Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 am

I too am proud to announce when i'm going to battle, so I'm sorry to seem like I am jumping you.

Lt-AWACS

Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:58 am

Good point,

but the fact it was posted in the Houston Chronicle, Dallas Morning News, Austin American Statesman and other papers makes the "Secret" a bit mute.

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,
Capt-AWACS, Am I the only happy person because oil is at $65 a barrel
Io voglio fica ogni giorni da mia bella moglie!

SCEagle

Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:05 am

Quoting Lt-AWACS (Reply 6):
but the fact it was posted in the Houston Chronicle, Dallas Morning News, Austin American Statesman and other papers makes the "Secret" a bit mute.

True. Excellent point. However, we don't need to make it easier by increasing the visibility of such announcements.

Attention Enemy: Just in case you missed it (or don't subscribe to Texas newspaper), here's the latest deployment news...

L-188

Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:28 am

Quoting KC135TopBoom (Thread starter):
I would not recommend posting such troop and unit deployments on a public forum, specifically unit designations, dates, and equipment types.

Quoting SCEagle (Reply 7):
Quoting Lt-AWACS (Reply 6):

True. Excellent point. However, we don't need to make it easier by increasing the visibility of such announcements.

Got to concur with everbody else here. Ops-sec has been pretty lousy over the past couple of years. We don't need to make it that much easier for the ^*$##heads to find out what they are facing.

That being said

Quoting CX747 (Reply 1):
Godspeed and good luck

Absolutely.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Lt-AWACS

Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:22 am

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ops/iraq_orbat.htm
We should shut these folks down then...

Trust me, I am all about opsec. I live it and work it (as do most of you) at levels we never post here, and that is the point of "real" opsec. Real classified info and opsec will be kept that way. Dirka Dirka doesn't care if he is facing a Texas Guard unit or Active US force from Korea. It is a well trained grunt with a gun that bothers him. I hate to sound flippant here, but if something should be kept secret then at least make it FOUO or higher. Ditto the CIA and there leaks.

From the DoD
http://www.defenselink.mil/releases/2005/nr20051223-12208.html

Capt-AWACS, Texas-It's bigger than France

LongbowPilot

Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:24 am

Oh man, c'mon. Think about it bro, the information is out there, but putting it out there is just spreading it around. Kinda not helping, but could give somoene a heads up that did not know it was coming... Just one more variable that doesn't need to be added.

L-188

Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:38 am

Quoting Lt-AWACS (Reply 9):
I am all about opsec. I live it and work it (as do most of you) at levels we never post here, and that is the point of "real" opsec. Real classified info and opsec will be kept that way.

I still really bothered me that we kept seeing announcements of "Offensives" on the evening new that where supposed to kick off in the next couple of days.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Lt-AWACS

Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:46 am

THe kind of stuff you are talking about L188 is at much higher levels than stuff that would be posted on this board, and more than likely is calculated.
I agree 110% it bothers me, but it is out there.
I was not offended when my deployment to Iraq was posted there are much more important things to worry about then vague troop rotations. Like armour and fuel and upgrades etc.

Capt-AWACS, Why I like NATO-Not after ten o'clocl

JohnM

Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:50 am

L-188
The press stuff you see really doesn't relate to real world ops in the OIF world. I got back in November, and the stuff we did wasn't put out before we did it, and most times not even when the op was over. Opsec was good in my small part of Iraq. Everybody knows Opsec is life and death over there. I think the news releases are just to keep everybody at home reminded that we are still out there doing our thing.

John

Lt-AWACS

Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:57 am

The local news was at our departure for Iraq with "Live" coverage and then again on the return. Ditto during the air war a few years ago, but as JohnM said, the details are not out (minus Geraldo's little sand picture) there-- which is why I see this first post as vague and harmless.

Better the American public keep the war in mind JohnM, I agree.

Capt-AWACS, Texas-It's bigger than France