broke

Coming Events At The National Museum Of The Usaf

Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:29 am

For anyone that can make it, there are two events scheduled at the National Museum of the United States Air Force this year that very significant.

On Tuesday April 18th and Wednesday April 19th is the reunion of the Doolittle Raiders.

On Friday May 5th and Saturday May 6th are the last 2 flights of the C-141 and the airplane starring in this program is the first C-141 for bring the POW's back from Hanoi, named by the POW's as the "Hanoi Taxi".

Go to http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum for more details on these events.

2H4

RE: Coming Events At The National Museum Of The Usaf

Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:03 am

Quoting Broke (Thread starter):
On Friday May 5th and Saturday May 6th are the last 2 flights of the C-141

I think I'll try to make it to this....anyone else down?

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

ghostbase

Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:11 am

Was thinking seriously about making a US visit in May, is this C-141 'last flight' likely to give photographers good access to be able to take landing or taxying shots?

Thanks

ghost 
"I chase my dreams but I never seem to arrive"

broke

Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:23 am

Wright-Patterson Air Force Base is actually 2 bases. The C-141C is based with an Air Force Reserve Unit at the Patterson portion of the base, which has an active runway.
The museum is located at Wright Field which is to the south. There is an inactive runway at the southernmost portion of Wright Field and that is where the airplane will be ferried to on its last flight which will occur on Saturday, May 6th.
Usually, when an airplane is being flown to the museum; there are arrangements made for spectators to be able to view the landing and I do know that the airplane will be open to the public after it lands. The museum itself is fenced off from the rest of the base, which is still active as a research center and site of the project offices for most research and development programs.
There are 2 hangars on the active side of the base that are part of the museum, plus the restoration shops. Access to these by the public is limited since 9/11 and I don't know how that will affect viewing the "Hanoi Taxi" when it arrives.
There a public road that crosses the north end of the active runway at Patterson where you can sometimes see planes arriving and departing, but you will have fence to contend with.

f4wso

Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:44 am

I hope to be there.
Gary
Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Seeking an honest week's pay for an honest day's work

ghostbase

Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:43 am

Thanks for the information Broke.

ghost 
"I chase my dreams but I never seem to arrive"

dc8jet

Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:55 am

I have not been able to pull up that web site nor any others that end in af.mil.
Has the Air Force shut them all down? I would like to be able to get some more information about the C-141 flight.

broke

RE: Coming Events At The National Museum Of The Us

Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:46 pm

I got this address from another topic in this section.
For more detailed information on the retirement of the C-141 go to

http://www.starlifterfarewell.com

I have tried this and the Museum link that are in this topic and, at least for me, they worked. Maybe the Air Force link was down for an update or something.