deaphen

Transcontinental Fighter Jet Travel

Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:07 am

Hi,
I was recently at the Asian Aerospace in Singapore. They had lots of american air force and navy F15's and f16's. I was wondering, when they have to fly these jets from the states to say singapore, do they travel at their maximum speed and roughly how far can they fly, do they have to make many stops in between?.

I wouldnt suppose they could fly too far for too long.

Thanks!
I want every single airport and airplane in India to be on A.net!

COSPN

RE: Transcontinental Fighter Jet Travel

Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:21 am

U got it they landed at GUM because UAM (Anderson AFB) had the runway closed..nice to see them here at the "regular" airport...not sure the next stop probally Japan or Honolulu via KWA or Wake...lots of places to drop in for Gas..in the Pacific...just be long ride in those birds with no Lav  Smile

DL787932ER

Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:26 am

Not a military pilot, but I'm quite certain fighters don't travel at their maximum speed on ferry flights - it takes A LOT of fuel to go Mach 2+  Wow! They'd probably cruise somehwere in the Mach .8-.9 range, same as commercial jets. Unrefuelled range is around 2,000 nm depending on the plane, but drop tanks could extend that and with aerial refuelling they wouldn't have to stop at all.

You might get more details reposting in the Military Av forum.
F L Y D E L T A J E T S

MDorBust

Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:28 am

International deployments of fighter aircraft are usually accomplished through a series of inflight refuelings by tankers taht either accompany the flight or are scheduled to meet them enroute.

This thread will help with some details:
How Do Usaf Fighter Get Overseas (by 747400sp Feb 25 2006 in Military Aviation & Space Flight)

[Edited 2006-03-03 22:30:06]
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

deaphen

Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:31 am

oh cool.. thanks alot  Smile
I want every single airport and airplane in India to be on A.net!

CX747

Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:21 am

Normally, if the aircraft are traveling across either the Atlantic or Pacific they are "dragged" across by a KC-10. Wearing a poopy suite the entire flight that will keep you warm if you need to eject into the middle of the Pacific is not comfortable from what I have heard. Obviously, if the destination is not too far, the fighters can just operate with drop tanks and stop at other AFBs for fuel.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower