2H4
Topic Author

Military Accident/Incident Data

Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:07 am

It is said every regulation and rule governing aviation is the result of an accident or incident. True or not, there is certainly some truth to the idea that the aviation industry benefits from studying past accidents and incidents.

Military accident and incident data is classified. Obviously, there are plenty of occurances that should be classified in the interest of national security, but it seems to me that keeping each and every accident and incident classified is irresponsible from an aviation safety standpoint.

For example, if a C-9 botched an approach to, say, Omaha, and the accident was a direct result of a previously unforeseen oversight or chain of events, what harm could possibly result from the dissemination of the accident information? Would releasing that information not benefit aviation and possibly (or even likely) prevent a repeat of the accident, potentially saving lives?

Again, I understand the importance of keeping certain accidents/incidents under wraps indefinitely, but it seems very irresponsible to hide the lessons that could be learned from the rest of them.

Am I way off base here?

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

f4wso

RE: Military Accident/Incident Data

Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:07 pm

The information is more "For Official Use Only" and disseminated through the channels where appropriate persons and agencies learn the lessons. I am not familiar with particular cases involving aircraft that have dual military and civilian use but believe that applicable operational factors would be shared with civilian operators. I found a 1950s Air Force summary of USAF cargo aircraft incidents at a used bookstore several years ago. It was interesting reading but details of names, dates, and places were omitted.
Seeking an honest week's pay for an honest day's work

kc135topboom

RE: Military Accident/Incident Data

Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:49 pm

Yes. They are "for official use only", F4wso is correct. Most USAF accidents share some common ground with air carrier accidents. Some military accidents are investigated jointly by the NTSB and USAF.

Usually the only information the military will not share is information about liability for the accident, or portions of the accident.