skysurfer

Which To Join...a Quandry

Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:03 pm

Hi there, this year i'll have the option of joining the CF (Canadian forces) but i can also enlist in the RAF. The only thing in the CF that interests me is the Armoured soldier job. I now live in Canada but as most people know the CF are chronically underfunded, equipment is lacking (although i see brand new trucks by the dozen belonging to the CF on the base near to where i live) and the equipment we do have is knackered or close to the end of its life. The only saving grace we seem to have is Gen. Rick Hillier and his straight to the point attitude. Now, the RAF interests me because of the RAF Gunner position. There's more funding, (arguably) better equipment, more opportunity and it offers a wide range of training as opposed to anything in the CF. What i'm after are any thoughts or opinions any of you have.....they're all welcome and appreciated. I was accepted into the RAF at 18 as an Aircraft Mechanic (ie Airframe Tech) but i turned it down to travel! Booooooo! lol

Cheers

Stu
In the dark you can't see ugly, but you can feel fat

WrenchBender

RE: Which To Join...a Quandry

Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:46 pm

Check your e-mail

WrenchBender
Silly Pilot, Tricks are for kids.......

skysurfer

Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:03 pm

Thanx for the email, it's late here now so i'll reply after work tomorrow. Thanx for taking the time to go through what you did, i'll try to address it as best i can.

Stu
In the dark you can't see ugly, but you can feel fat

kc135topboom

Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:41 pm

It really depends on what you want to do, after your military career. Go for the best training you can get. Both the RAF and the CF have advantages and disadvantages. What benefits do they offer in Canada or the UK that are availabe after you leave the service? In the US, we have veterans benefits that include college funding, or buying a house, and other benefits.

It really depends on what you are going to do later in life. The military life can be difficult for some, not everyone is cut out for it. But, the rewards can last a life time.

Which ever you choose, I hope you have a great time. The military is really a large extended family, you will make some life long friends, and be able to do things and go places you might not be able to do otherwise.

Good luck,
KC135TopBoom