TropicBird
Topic Author

C-17 Operational Question

Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:11 am

The USAF has made much of the fact that the C-17 can back itself up using reverse thrust. I have a couple of questions about this capability for those who work with this aircraft and thanks in advance for your help.

1) In practical terms, is this feature used often, occasionally or at all?

2) If so, does it create alot of flying debris or is the blast deflected away?

3) Is it used in a congested ramp environment?

echster

RE: C-17 Operational Question

Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:34 am

Quoting TropicBird (Thread starter):
1) In practical terms, is this feature used often, occasionally or at all?

2) If so, does it create alot of flying debris or is the blast deflected away?

3) Is it used in a congested ramp environment?

1. I'd say often - especially when training.

2. Blast is pushed up to prevent FOD.

3. Absolutely. They really pack 'em in and count on the C-17s to back out. I know 2 large, Middle East airfields that couldn't operate as they presently do without this ability to pack 'em in and back out.

SCEagle

RE: C-17 Operational Question

Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:47 am

I also recall watching a C-17 at Kandahar. One runway, one taxiway. If you don't make the turn, you continue down the taxiway to the helicopter area. One day, working at the hangar, we heard a HUGE noise. Go to look out and lo and behold... a C-17 had missed the turn. Excessively missed the turn. Was well on the way to the choppers. They dropped the ramp down and you could see the loadmasters giving directions as the pilot backed up a couple o' thousand feet.

Must have been a bit embarrassing. Held up airfield traffic. And with the noise, everyone comes out to look and see the goof.

But yep, it CAN back up.