AFEaviator
Topic Author

CH-53E And CH-53K Comparison

Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:58 am

Flight Global gives a quick comparison of the 2 aircraft.

http://www.flightglobal.com/Articles...177/205881/USMC+orders+CH-53K.html

I can't wait to see this beast fly!

kc135topboom

RE: CH-53E And CH-53K Comparison

Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:45 pm

I guess the USMC doesn't have that much confidence in the MV-22 after all.

AFEaviator
Topic Author

Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:22 am

The CH-53K is meant to replace the E model. The V-22 will be working a longside the K model.

jarheadk5

Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:46 pm

A couple points:

- The K isn't getting a new "drive system", it's getting new engines. The main gearbox will remain the same between E and K. Other gearboxes may get small mods, but nothing major.

- The K is also getting a new & improved external-cargo handling system. There was talk a couple years ago of the K being able to 3-point loads like the Chinooks can, but I don't know if that'll happen or not. Currently, the E can either single-point OR dual-point.

I REALLY hope they pushed for a battery and electric starter for the APP. Or at least a battery and an electric hyd. pump to recharge the APP's two start accumulators. Hand-pumping those accumulators back up to 3000psi, after a couple failed starts, in 100+* temps, SUCKS.
I hope the battery mentioned above will also be bussed to power at least one COM, so during the FARP mission we (well, they; I'm not in anymore) don't have to be sitting on the ground burning fuel & making lots of noise with the APP, just to have an operable radio to talk to the Cobras/groundpounders.
I hope the airframe design team incorporates at least some of the "little things" that we in the Fleet suggested to make our jobs easier. Stuff like in-floor and in-sponson storage compartments to reduce cabin clutter, easier access to various components to speed maintenance, wireless ICS for the aircrew.
Cleared to Contact