leelaw

Graffiti Artist "Tags" Air Force One

Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:25 am

A New York graffiti artist claims to have spray-painted a nacelle of one of the US Air Force presidential transport Boeing 747-200B (DC-25A) with a name tag in an act of protest against restrictions on free speech.

http://www.flightglobal.com/Articles...idential+Air+Force+One+Boeing.html
Lex Ancilla Justitiae

N328KF

RE: Graffiti Artist "Tags" Air Force One

Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:28 am

If this is for real, then that guy is in major trouble. He's lucky he didn't get shot, and I wouldn't have blamed them for doing it. I don't care about his message either way...it's still a big no no.

[Edited 2006-04-18 18:30:40]
When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'Present' or 'Not guilty.' -Theodore Roosevelt

kazzie

Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:28 am

I cant controlle my laughter! Brilliant!
Bazinga punk.

L1329II

Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:32 am

IF this is true... That plane and other govt planes like it are probably the stupidest targets to try and vandalize. As clean as these planes are kept in a matter of hours the graffiti is gone. Personally I think the guy is an idiot and IF... its true he deserves to be shot on site.
"By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?"

contrails

Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:34 am

I don't believe this for a second. Air Force One is the most heavily guarded airplane in the world.
Flying Colors Forever!

pictues

Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:38 am

I some how doubt this is for real, no security guards approached the guy, i say Hoax to promote his video game

swissgabe

Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:43 am

Are there 24hrs guard with the two Boeing 747-200B (DC-25A). If this whole thing is through someone would be very much in trouble ...
Smooth as silk - Royal Orchid Service /// Suid-Afrikaanse Lugdiens - Springbok

Boeing Nut

Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:45 am

Read it closer kids, the guy that "did it" is promoting a new video game. It is indeed a fabrication. From the link - However, Ecko is understood to be promoting a new video game and many believe the video to be an elaborate hoax.

DC-25A -   

[Edited 2006-04-18 18:47:46]
I'm not a real aeronautical engineer, I just play one on Airliners.net.

khobar

Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:45 am

What's a DC-25A?  Wink

LOL.

N328KF

Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:55 am

Quoting Boeing Nut (Reply 7):
Read it closer kids, the guy that "did it" is promoting a new video game. It is indeed a fabrication. From the link - However, Ecko is understood to be promoting a new video game and many believe the video to be an elaborate hoax.

They should still shoot him for the horrible clothes he has festooned upon teenagers.
When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'Present' or 'Not guilty.' -Theodore Roosevelt

jgold47

Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:57 am

Haha, no way this is true. I dont care how much street cred you are trying to get, you, as the CEO of a large company, dont do shit like this. Chances are, these days, creeping around Andrews (how would you even get on?) would get you shot. And its not like they dont know where to find you?

N1120A

Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:58 am

Quoting Swissgabe (Reply 6):
(DC-25A).

Quoting Swissgabe (Reply 6):
Are there 24hrs guard with the two Boeing 747-200B

There are actually 5 747-200B's in the Air Force fleet (2 VC-25As and 3 E-4Bs) and all of them are guarded all the time by military personel.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

JRadier

Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:01 am

It is indeed a fabrication. From the link - However, Ecko is understood to be promoting a new video game and many believe the video to be an elaborate hoax.

You just turned an assumption into a fact. It is likely to be a hoax, but one has to prove it.
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and ther

deltairlines

Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:01 am

I wouldn't believe it for a second. A couple of years ago, I had the opportunity to be up close with Air Force One, being on the ramp about 150 feet away from it. There were Secret Service agents on the perimeter outside of the airplane just watching it, making sure no one got too close...I don't see a security breach like this actually happening.

Jeff

L1329II

Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:09 am

Quoting Contrails (Reply 4):
I don't believe this for a second. Air Force One is the most heavily guarded airplane in the world.

Well... at least while its at Andrews AFB! I can remember when working at an FBO that there were plenty of times during the night that we walked up to the A/C when on the ground even at night and we were NEVER questioned. Maybe since we were ground crew they didnt think of us as being more than harmless but we were able to touch the A/C.

This was in the early 90's. There were portable spotlights lit up pointing toward the A/C at night which kept it pretty well illuminated but the only thing we saw in the way of security was a rented mini van on the ramp with 2 guys in it camped about 50 yards away from the plane.

Granted the world is a different place today ...

Boeing Nut

Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:09 am

Quoting JRadier (Reply 12):
You just turned an assumption into a fact.

No, I just used comon sense. Look at it this way, DC-25? They don't exist. Just like this "actual" story.

And I'm no graffiti artist, but isn't the "source" of the spray paint just a little too far from the surface to get lines like that?

Fake - end of story.

remcor

Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:12 am

Quoting L1329II (Reply 3):
IF Personally I think the guy is an idiot and IF... its true he deserves to be shot on site.

Oh lighten up! Even if it's true, it's not like he killed someone... it's called a prank. How come some people get all uptight and violent over things that do little or no harm???

Man, are we turning into a nation of party-poopers?

[Edited 2006-04-18 19:13:48]

boeingfever777

Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:13 am

Ecko says on his website that he does not condone illegal activity, acts of vandalism, or the destruction of other people's property.

Indeed a HOAX... Also like others have stated you just don't stroll onto ADW at 12 mid-night and tag the #1 engine cowling and no one see you. He would be in deep *hit if he did indeed do this.

Also his clothing line is garbage.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre.

SkyexRamper

Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:29 am

If it was true he would've had a camera with him plane side. YES this is a hoax with the worst video I've ever seen. It would've been all over the world news had that happened and there would be a severely beaten man in the hospital or possibly a dead man in the morgue because well Andrews is guarded better than Fort Knox.
Good Luck to all Skyway Pilots! It's been great working with you!

antiuser

Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:30 am

Quoting N328KF (Reply 9):
They should still shoot him for the horrible clothes he has festooned upon teenagers.

Now in Guantanamo Orange! Big grin
Azzurri Campioni del Mondo!

airwave

Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:30 am

Well, whether or not this is true, what was the point of the exercise? To get Marc Ecko and his clothing line back in some sort of public light. It's called a viral marketing campaign and those of us sitting here discussing one aspect of it (is it or isn't it real?) is worth a lot of money to them. In other words, our prolonged discussion herein prolongs this brand's eye-time for thousands of people who might want this--all at very little expense to the company.

Brilliant, I say; absolutely brilliant.

Airwave  eyebrow 
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Boeing Nut

Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:32 am

Quoting Airwave (Reply 20):
Well, whether or not this is true, what was the point of the exercise?

Three words - publicity, publicity, publicity.

N328KF

Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:36 am

Quoting Remcor (Reply 16):
Oh lighten up! Even if it's true, it's not like he killed someone... it's called a prank. How come some people get all uptight and violent over things that do little or no harm???

If it was true, then what if he had something more dangerous than a bottle of spray paint? Any interloper who got that close deserves the .50cal that would be exiting the back of their head. It doesn't matter if it's Clinton or Bush or JFK, it's not a good idea.

don81603

Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:36 am

Quoting Contrails (Reply 4):

Well, someone did manage to break into the bedroom of the Queen of England in Buckingham Palace a number of years ago. Those who believe something is impossible are only setting themselves up to be proven wrong at the very least. Many "certainties" in history were proven wrong, and airtight security is impossible.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

L1329II

Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:38 am

Quoting Remcor (Reply 16):

Man, are we turning into a nation of party-poopers?

Ok let me refrase this: Personally I think the guy is an idiot and IF... its true he probably would have been shot on site.

Better?  sarcastic 

N328KF

Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:40 am

Quoting Don81603 (Reply 23):
Well, someone did manage to break into the bedroom of the Queen of England in Buckingham Palace a number of years ago. Those who believe something is impossible are only setting themselves up to be proven wrong at the very least. Many "certainties" in history were proven wrong, and airtight security is impossible.

What about when you've got a few guys sitting outside the plane 24/7 with loaded MP5Ks?

airwave

Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:40 am

Quoting Boeing Nut (Reply 21):
Well, whether or not this is true, what was the point of the exercise?

Three words - publicity, publicity, publicity.

Yes, I realize that, lol. It was a rhetorical question, as you see in my follow on sentence, lol. Or is this a rhetorical response? Oh, bother.

Airwave  eyebrow 

ckfred

Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:47 am

I saw President Bush speak at ORD in 2001. The number of armed people, Secret Service and military, around Air Force One while parked on the ramp was significant.

Also, my wife's great uncle was a 1-star general in the Air Force, stationed at Wright-Patterson AFB in Dayton, OH. Obviously, security can be breached on a large airfield, but security is always very tight around areas that the Air Force doesn't want people near.

A lot of systems testing went on at Wright-Pat, and those areas were incredibly secure. If VIPs, whether the President, Pentagon brass, members of Congress, or executives from contractors were on the base, security was always increased around aircraft and areas that they might tour.

I highly doubt that this bozo got anywhere near Air Force One. Further, it's my understanding that the VC-25As are kept in the hanger, unless they are preparing for departure or have just arrived at Andrews, because of security concerns.

remcor

Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:49 am

Quoting L1329II (Reply 24):

Ok let me refrase this: Personally I think the guy is an idiot and IF... its true he probably would have been shot on site.

Yeah... that's a bit better actually. I thought you were essentially saying "How dare he do that! Him and his kind should be shot!"

While if it's true I do think he's an idiot, I also admire his audacity, and appreciate that once in a while people can shake things up and stir pot a bit. It's what America's built on, after all.

But it's probably fake.

MrMcCoy

Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:51 am

I couldn't agree more. This guy is a genious.. excellent marketing.
It only takes five years to go from rumor to standard operating procedure.

SkyexRamper

Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:51 am

Ok...so a story like this, who knows how old, would've gotten media attention no dought...but I can't find anything at the major world news sites.
Good Luck to all Skyway Pilots! It's been great working with you!

N766UA

Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:55 am

Yeah, they just hopped over a fence and ran onto an empty ramp without being seen. All at Andrew's freakin' AFB, home of the most top secret and heavily guarded aircraft in the world. I'll believe that when me shit turns purple and smells like rainbow sherbert.   

They would have been shot 10 times over. It's fake. Nevermind no credible news source mentions it.

[Edited 2006-04-18 19:56:43]
This Website Censors Me

airwave

Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:56 am

Quoting MrMcCoy (Reply 29):

I couldn't agree more. This guy is a genious.. excellent marketing.

Oddly enough, I just read an article of Jack Trout's on Forbes.com about how marketing is in crisis...occasions such as Ecko's makes me think otherwise.

It's a good article if you're into that sort of thing, so here's the link for interested parties: Marketing in Crisis

Airwave  eyebrow 

Boeing Nut

Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:03 am

You really wanna see something? Someone send this link to CNN or FOX.  laughing 

fbgdavidson

Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:03 am

I'm going to call BS on this one.

1) Look how small the undercarriage looks just as before it shows him spraying the words onto the engine.

2) I'm no graffiti artist but looking at how high up the lettering goes as he sprays it on wouldn't the stream of paint spread out much more? It looks pretty tight but that part of an engine is pretty high up

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Konstantin von Wedelstaedt

"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

RobTrent

Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:09 am

Quoting N766UA (Reply 31):
I'll believe that when me shit turns purple and smells like rainbow sherbert.

Ditto !
Regards
R
T7 - You know it makes sense !

Mich

Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:10 am

"Shot on sight" ?? How silly, sounds like a 10 year old.

Was he gonna spray someone in the eye?

Shoot on sight is cold war tuff guy speak. While your at it you better shoot the guards of the plane, the base patrol and gate guards as they were all in on it. Never mind the secret service people they have been assimilated.

hoax or not you get one chance, dont flip flop - Mr. Kerry

Georgetown

Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:15 am

I've gotta say, to the casual viewer, this is a decent fake. Absolutly no question, however, that it is fake. Yes, both SAM 27000 and SAM 28000 are kept in the hangar over at Andrews, and brought out just before POTUS departs. There's actually a fantastic National Geographic documentary that was made about the VC's in early 2001. It covers everything from the presidential bathroom on board to the extreme security surrounding the aircraft. In short, the second a potential vandal began to run towards the plane - assuming it was parked outside - (and this is making a tremendous leap of faith that he would ever get close to that point) he would have to stop to pick up the pieces of his brain spread over the tarmac. As for the marketing aspect - a little too political to go mainstream, but the concept is at least creative.
Let's go Hoyas!

blueflyer

Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:23 am

Quoting Ckfred (Reply 27):
it's my understanding that the VC-25As are kept in the hanger, unless they are preparing for departure or have just arrived at Andrews, because of security concerns.

They are kept in a hanger as much as possible, none the least because which particular aircraft will operate which particular flight is classified. They're out of the hangar just prior to take off or after landing (and as others pointed out, the security around the plane is massive), or to perform some maintenance that for some reason cannot be done inside the hangar (washing perhaps). Other than that, they're inside, and they're never abandoned by themselves in the middle of the night.

"Air Force One" even has its own fuel farm, with its own guards, and the fuel has to be in the farm at least 24 hours prior to fueling to secure it against contamination and allow for testing. I would be very surprised if the plane itself had less security than the fuel that goes in the plane.

Heck, even Air Force Two or Three or Four has more security than the plane in the video. I've seen a US government plane parked many times at the GA apron at EBBR, and I can attest that even the smallest one was being constantly watched by the local police and US security agents (I think DSA officials but don't quote me).

Quoting Ckfred (Reply 27):
A lot of systems testing went on at Wright-Pat, and those areas were incredibly secure.

Same thing at Andrews. I have landed/taken off there twice as a passenger on a non-US government flight. Just because you have a pass to get on/off your plane doesn't mean that you are free to wander around and take a peek at the nice Air Force One parked in the corner, quite the contrary. There's one way in and one way out and don't even think about deviating. And that was pre 9/11.
Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has no clothes.

RobTrent

Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:27 am

Quoting Mich (Reply 36):

I guess in reality they would not stop to ask questions ! I think the security protocol applicable to the Presidential Boeing's would be initiated immediately.

Regards
R
T7 - You know it makes sense !

N766UA

Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:29 am

I swear that looks like a 737-200 engine in one frame... maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me.
This Website Censors Me

steeler83

Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:29 am

Yes, I saw that near the very bottom of the page...

You just turned an assumption into a fact. It is likely to be a hoax, but one has to prove it.

Quoting Skyexramper (Reply 18):
YES this is a hoax with the worst video I've ever seen. It would've been all over the world news had that happened and there would be a severely beaten man in the hospital or possibly a dead man in the morgue because well Andrews is guarded better than Fort Knox.

Damn, you beat me to posting that remark...  Smile
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

N328KF

Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:31 am

Quoting Mich (Reply 36):

Shoot on sight is cold war tuff guy speak. While your at it you better shoot the guards of the plane, the base patrol and gate guards as they were all in on it. Never mind the secret service people they have been assimilated.

hoax or not you get one chance, dont flip flop - Mr. Kerry

Again, what if he had something more dangerous than a spray can? You can't always tell that at the heat of the moment. This isn't a town mayor and his sheriff. This is POTUS and the Secret Service. They take their job very seriously and there is ample evidence to show that they will shoot first and ask questions later. It is naive to think otherwise.

antiuser

Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:37 am

If you actually take the time to read the legal disclaimer on the site...

Quote:

Please read the language set forth herein carefully as it may affect, inhibit, modify or otherwise influence the interests or perceptions of any end user (hereinafter "you" or "end user") viewing the preceeding video (also referred to herein and hereas as "The Still Free Video"). You, the viewer of the preceeding are hereby advised that the video does not depict a real event. It is intended for the sole, limited and express purpose of entertainment and to induce you, the viewer of the video, to think critically about freedom of expression and speech and the government's responses to the same. Therefore, and by reason of the foregoing, the producers, creators and distributors of this video hereby verily certify that the foregoing fictionalization and dramatization was not real. Furthermore, and without limitation now, since the beginning of time and without perpituity, the producers, creators and distributors of this video and anyone else who was involved in the making of this video assume no risks or liabilities stemming from or related to your ("the end user's") viewing of same and assume no liability for any damages that result directly or indirectly from mistakes, omissions, interruptions, deletions of files, viruses, errors, defects or any failures of performance, communications failures, theft, destruction or unauthorized access. Copying, duplication and distribution of this video is encouraged.
Azzurri Campioni del Mondo!

Endair2000

Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:38 am

Definatley a hoaxt I couldn't see all those antennas on the top of the fuselage that are normally on air force one

YULWinterSkies

Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:39 am

Quoting N328KF (Reply 1):
I don't care about his message either way...

You'd better do, because without free speech, even A.net existence could be threatened. Remember, some sensitive topics such as the TSA, ElAl, the FAA, diversions are discussed everyday here...

Although a hoax, this is an important issue.
When I doubt... go running!

dairbus

Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:39 am

I am inclined to believe that the aircraft in question is not the real VC-25A but a 747-200 that has been painted as such to be used in shows such as "The West Wing" and in motion pictures. The person in question could of used the same aircraft for his own video. Does anyone else think this is a resaonable hypothesis?
"I love mankind. It's people I can't stand." - Charles Shultz

N328KF

Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:43 am

Quoting YULWinterSkies (Reply 45):
You'd better do, because without free speech, even A.net existence could be threatened. Remember, some sensitive topics such as the TSA, ElAl, the FAA, diversions are discussed everyday here...

You misinterpreted me. I do care about free speech. However, my point was that his particular issue does not matter as far as the discussion of the security breech is concerned.

With that said, 'freedom of speech' does not give one the right to vandalize.

Boeing7E7

Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:43 am

Quoting Leelaw (Thread starter):
A New York graffiti artist claims to have spray-painted a nacelle of one of the US Air Force presidential transport Boeing 747-200B (DC-25A) with a name tag in an act of protest against restrictions on free speech.

Not even a remote possibility of happening without getting his @$$ shot off.

It is a hoax. He'd be dead if it wasn't.

[Edited 2006-04-18 20:47:44]

deltadc9

Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:46 am

This reminds me of a day in 1989 when we installed new Sun workstations at a Scripps Howard newspaper. The first thing we showed the Editor was a picture of the local hot air balloon race. Then we showed him a picture of a fire. We outlined the flame, cut it, and pasted it on the balloon. It looked very real.

His reaction was: "Holy Shit! if it isnt enough that news can be fabricated now images are suspect too!"

Yep.
Dont take life too seriously because you will never get out of it alive - Bugs Bunny