okelleynyc

T6 Texan Over The Hudson?

Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:23 am

Did anyone in the New York area happen to see what looked like a T6 Texan flying north over the GW Bridge around 3:00 PM this afternoon? Needless to say, I was stunned....
Just give me my Vario, my Ozone Mojo and a gorgeous day of soaring.

corey07850

RE: T6 Texan Over The Hudson?

Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:11 am

I wasn't in the area to see this, but I wouldn't be surprised... There are always pretty neat stuff flying up and down the Hudson. I was working at TEB one day when the VOR-A approach was in use and heard ATC give the following traffic advisory: "Citation xxx traffic 12 o'clock over the river... High speed low level activity, use caution"..... "Tower, Citation xxx has the Thunderbirds in sight, maintaing visual."

Just curious, do you think it was a T-6 Texan (old prop trainer) or the T-6 Texan II (the current turboprop trainer in use for the USAF)?

okelleynyc

RE: T6 Texan Over The Hudson?

Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:31 am

Good question. No, it wasn't a T-6 Texan II.

This thing, whatever it was, was pretty big, straight winged, had a very long glazed canopy, and a very large radial engine. It was just lumbering along making a wonderful sound.

Because the sun was in the way, I couldn't make out it's markings. In otherwords, I don't know if this was someone's personal warbird or part of a collection ala the Commemerative Air Force...
Just give me my Vario, my Ozone Mojo and a gorgeous day of soaring.