RichardPrice
Topic Author

Vulcan Restoration May Cease

Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:29 pm

According to the BBC, the Bruntingthorpe Vulcan Restoration Project (XH558) could fold and plans to fly the aircraft may disappear because of financial concerns.

This would be a pity, because its the best condition Vulcan around and it would be great to see it fly again.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/leicestershire/4921876.stm

[Edited 2006-04-19 15:29:23]

747400sp

RE: Vulcan Restoration May Cease

Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:29 am

I hope and pray that they can get the funding for this aircraft to fly again. Even though I do not take about much it, the Avro Volcan is one of my favorite airplanes ever built. I feel in love with it at first site.  Smile

kc135topboom

Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:02 am

The Vulcan is a great airplane, and should fly again. Nothing ever looked like it in the air.

I thought the Vulcan at the Castle Air Museum in Atwater, CA was in good, almost flying condition, too.

FlagshipAZ

Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:14 am

I also fell in love with the Vulcan when I first saw her at the Barksdale AF Museum. This bird, at the time, looks like she could fly again on a moment's notice. Certainly hope that the Project will be able to continue with the restoration to fly XH558 again, or if anything at least preserve her the best way possible. Good luck over there, folks. Regards.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." --Ben Franklin

Lumberton

Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:54 am

In 1979 I was fortunate to see one at Hickam AFB during an airshow. It was on static display, but still the star of the show, along with a BUFF. Magnificent machine! I hope these folks can come up with some kind of fund raising gimmick to get this bird in the air again.
"When all is said and done, more will be said than done".

AzoresLover

Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:31 am

When I was at Lajes, Azores, the Vulcan made periodic visits. What a view of it on takeoff, when it would bank left or right shortly after liftoff. And the sound of those engines during the takeoff roll was fantastic. I hope they are able to get it flying again, so others can share in its beauty.
Those who want to do something will find a way; those who don't will find an excuse.

RC135U

Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:45 am

Quoting Lumberton (Reply 4):
In 1979 I was fortunate to see one at Hickam AFB during an airshow. It was on static display

A shame it was a static display - a lightly loaded Vulcan in the hands of a skilled RAF pilot could really put on a show! At Offutt AFB the RAF always had a couple of Vulcans on detachment to SAC HQ, so they were the stars of the annual airshow. Wonderfully noisy yet amazingly agile (again, with a light fuel load) aircraft.

Now I'll have to get out my copy of "Thunderball" again...

saintsman

Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:51 pm

Although I would like to see it fly I have my doubts. It will cost silly amounts to get it flying what with the maintenance and operating costs. I think that there is a big demand to see it but I doubt that people want to pay extra for the privelige.

GDB

Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:24 am

A few years ago, I donated some cash to this project, once they got Lottery funding (intially rejected before).
I hope not, as it looks so near....but so far perhaps?

Saintsman is probably right, whilst the XH558 team have done a great job, the sheer costs of operation, for a few airshows per year, look a mismatch.
Consider how the price of fuel has increased in the 5-6 years this project has been going.

I hope I'm wrong, I have fond memories of Vulcans at airshows, being flung arond, opening bomb-bay doors etc.
Some when still in RAF service, then the 9 year period operated by the RAF in a 'Heritage Flight' role.

TSV

Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:20 pm

Quoting GDB (Reply 8):
once they got Lottery funding (intially rejected before).

When we were over in the UK in November last year I caught the end of a News Report which sounded like the majority of Lottery Funding from now on being directed to the Olympics. Is this true? If it is it sounds like it is really bad news for projects such as this not to mention others that have benefitted over the years from such funding (like the Halifax at Yorkshire). I'd rather see a Vulcan flying than any event at the Olympics.
"I told you I was ill ..." Spike Milligan

RichardPrice
Topic Author

Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:53 pm

Quoting TSV (Reply 9):

When we were over in the UK in November last year I caught the end of a News Report which sounded like the majority of Lottery Funding from now on being directed to the Olympics. Is this true?

Yes, which is a bone of contention because when the Lottery was setup, the Government was not supposed to have any say in the use of the Lottery funds, but now they seem to use it as a dipping pot for any project they want. There was also talk of using it to top up the NHS.

GDB

Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:00 am

The Lottery payment to the Vulcan pre dated the 2012 win by I think 18 months to two years.
In any case, I doubt after getting one payment, they'd get another, 2012 and others or not.

The initial rejection was about risk or the project succeding with the funding, so the Vulcan people had to re-submit with presumably more detail in this and other areas, which proved successful.

FlagshipAZ

Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:16 am

Slightly off topic here, but I have 3 questions regarding the Vulcan.
How many were built, how many survived today, and what's the tail-number of the Vulcan on display at Barksdale AFB???
Many thanks & regards.  Wink
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." --Ben Franklin

RichardPrice
Topic Author

Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:23 am

Quoting FlagshipAZ (Reply 12):
How many were built,

45 B.1 marks (of which 28 were converted to B.1A)
63 B.2 marks
26 B.2A marks

how many survived today

Complete aircraft -

15 B.2 marks
3 B.2A marks
1 B.2(MRR) mark

Plus various incomplete aircraft, noses etc.

what's the tail-number of the Vulcan on display at Barksdale AFB

It is the Avro Vulcan B2, 50 Sqn XM599

FlagshipAZ

Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:49 am

Many appreciations for the info, Richard. Now I'm going to watch Thunderball and soak in (no pun intended) this great bird.  Wink Regards.

scouseflyer

Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:07 am

I remember seeing a Vulcan at an airhow at RAF St Mawgan in 1989 or 1990 it was simply awsome - ground shaking as it took off and then doing what looked like wing-overs at about 20 mph.

Brilliant  Smile