wardialer

How Many Use Trusted Solaris?

Mon May 08, 2006 2:24 am

I heard that many Navy and some Milittary Governments use Trusted UNIX Solaris or HP-UX systems on their aircrafts and even on ships. Is thsi true?

kc135topboom

RE: How Many Use Trusted Solaris?

Wed May 10, 2006 6:15 pm

I don't know about on their aircraft, but some USN and USCG ships use Solaris. I believe the Canadian Coast Guard and British Coast Guard does also, I don't know if the RN uses it.

MigFan

Wed May 10, 2006 8:36 pm

So?

UNIX/Solaris is a strong and tough platform. This is backed up by the salt of the administrators. The USAF uses Windows for many of their IT needs, yikes!!!

What would you use?

/M
UH-60's suck!!!

kc135topboom

Thu May 11, 2006 7:08 pm

Quoting MigFan (Reply 2):
What would you use?

DOS

LOL  Wow!

MigFan

Thu May 11, 2006 9:54 pm

I have an Amiga here collecting dust, if anyone is interested : )
UH-60's suck!!!

Woodreau

Tue May 16, 2006 3:58 am

Quoting Wardialer (Thread starter):
I heard that many Navy and some Milittary Governments use Trusted UNIX Solaris or HP-UX systems on their aircrafts and even on ships. Is thsi true?

It depends on what system you're talking about.

If you're talking about UYK-7's the WAP/WSP/WCP computer programs for command and control and weapons control are loaded via magnetic tape and punch cards. (I had never seen a punch card reader until I saw a UYK-7 computer.) Even the AEGIS UKY-43/44s are a little bit more advanced forgoing the punch cards and using magnetic tape exclusively.

If you're talking about the COP and track database, I think GCCS is Unix-based.

The IT-21 LAN on Navy ships use Windows NT (but it is strictly an administrative network.) No command and control functions take place on the LAN. Although there is an interface which allows you to view the GCCS track database on the administrative LAN with a program called C2PC.

In any case the operators really don't know what computer operating system is in use. You'll need to talk to the ETs/FCs or tech guys. If the computers crash or the displays freeze - it's a phone call to CSOOW to have them reboot/reload the computers.
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.