A319XFW
Topic Author

Eads Unveils UAV Tech Demonstrator 'Barracuda'

Sun May 14, 2006 6:08 am

This has been out for a few weeks now, but I don't think it's been discussed here yet (couldn't find anything).

EADS has unveiled a new UAV technology demnstrator nicknamed "Barracuda".
I was quite surprised that it was kept quite quiet for a while. This comes just after BAE unveiled their newest UAV demonstrator. Seems like the European players are starting to develop/unveil next generation UAV's/UCAV's, too.

I would have thought that they could have made an electrically actuated landing gear for an aircraft that size.

Quote:
This demonstrator contains a mass of technological refinements, even if as many commercial-off-the-shelf (COTS) components as possible have been used in its basic systems. "The structure of this unmanned aircraft is made entirely of carbon-fibre composites (CFC) and was manufactured on the basis of a new EADS patent at the company's Augsburg plant. The wings, which are also manufactured from CFC, come from the EADS plant in Getafe near Madrid. Apart from the landing gear, this is an "electric airborne system" that, in contrast to conventional aircraft, therefore dispenses with hydraulic components and uses electro-mechanical actuators instead," Wirtz explained.

Full text here

Video

Picture