L-188
Topic Author

Mounting AA-8 Aphid On A-4

Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:52 pm

Hi guys, was playing around with the Fan-fic "Alaska Defense Forces" and have come up with a idea to add a unique element to one of the backbones of the force, the A-4 Skyhawk.

The background.....

In the late 1970's the ADF made decision to standardized on one fighter/ground attack for reserve units. So surples A-4E/F/J/M Skyhawks where aquired as the US Navy and Marines started to retire the type. These aircraft where felt would be a cost effective type, simpe to operate, good payload. These aircraft where minimally refurbished and based at reserve units located at major population centers to support reserve pilots.

Anyway after 10=15 years of service it was decided to preform a major service live extension program for the aircraft, this included new wings and control surfaces, and standardizing of the configuration between the four subtypes. This could be considered on par with the work some of the southeast asian countries have done with theirs.

However I do want to get some opinons on the defensive armament of the aircraft. One thing that you need to consider is the weight of the aircraft, and ways to reduce it. Even the Skyhawk doubled in MTOW over the course of it's life.

One idea I am considering is retro-fitting the outboard pylons to take the AA-8 Aphid missle. This would save about 20KG per shot vs. the AIM-9 Sidewinder. Since both are IR missles it seems do-able. The missle itself would have been supplied to Alaska starting about 1990 when the first Mig-29's came on line-replacing the Mirages that had earlier been in service.

I figure that mounting the missle is the simple part since that could just be a specialized rail on the aircraft. The question I have is what would it take in the form of electronics to get the missle to fire. I hope it won't be too bad since they are IR weapons.

Also do you think the K-36 Ejection seat can fit in a Skyhawk to replace the Escapepac that the aircraft was delivered with?
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Ant72LBA

RE: Mounting AA-8 Aphid On A-4

Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:30 am

Sorry L-188 don't know the answer to your question. Could you do a resume post with links to the previous Alaska Defence Force threads so that we know where we are with developments. Ta! (saves me doing a search for them all)