N328KF
Topic Author

Reuters: New US F-35 Fighter Dubbed "Lightning II"

Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:02 am

In a nod to both the Lockheed P-38 and English Electric fighter:
WASHINGTON, July 7 (Reuters) - The stealthy F-35 Joint Strike Fighter being developed by the United States and eight other countries is to be named the "Lightning II," in homage to two earlier fighters.

The supersonic F-35 is being built by a team led by Lockheed Martin Corp. (LMT.N: Quote, Profile, Research) at a cost of $276 billion. It is the costliest U.S. weapons program ever.

[...]

Link to Reuters article.
When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'Present' or 'Not guilty.' -Theodore Roosevelt

AirRyan

RE: Reuters: New US F-35 Fighter Dubbed "Lightning II"

Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:47 am

Sounds appropriate I guess...

Was the F-22 ever considered for this name or was this just the computer sim company calling it the Lightning?

N328KF
Topic Author

Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:54 am

Quoting AirRyan (Reply 1):
Was the F-22 ever considered for this name or was this just the computer sim company calling it the Lightning?

"Lightning II" was the name that most rags (including AW&ST, as I recall) assumed would be used. USAF surprised everyone with the name "Raptor."
When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'Present' or 'Not guilty.' -Theodore Roosevelt

Areopagus

Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:01 am

The YF-22 was called Lightning II. Wikipedia says: The name "Lightning II" persisted until the mid-1990s, and for a short while, the plane was also dubbed "Rapier". The F-22 became the "Raptor" when the first production-representative plane was unveiled on April 9, 1997, at Lockheed-Georgia Co., Marietta, Georgia.

Lightning III, anyone?

ptrjong

Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:14 am

Quoting N328KF (Thread starter):
In a nod to both the Lockheed P-38 and English Electric fighter

The Lightning name was much better suited to the F-22 than to this new flying frog.

Peter
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)

deltadc9

Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:21 am

Quoting Ptrjong (Reply 4):
The Lightning name was much better suited to the F-22 than to this new flying frog.

What is your problem with the F-35 anyway?

The F-22 would have been the better plane for the name though, simply due to the fact that the P-38 represents the first highly successful twin engined fighter.

But, the F-35 has the most powerful fighter jet engine in the world, so it is in its own way revolutionary in that respect. The whole point of the P-38 was more power, so I guess it does make sense.
Dont take life too seriously because you will never get out of it alive - Bugs Bunny

firennice

Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:33 am

Great news thanks for posting that. I have wondered for a while what they would call it.

old 

ptrjong

Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:09 am

Quoting DeltaDC9 (Reply 5):

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Mark Broekhans

eek  yuck  ill { crying  thumbsdown 
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)

Devilfish

Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:26 am

Quoting AirRyan (Reply 1):

According to Flightglobal, Lightning II was one of the names originally suggested for the F-22. http://www.flightglobal.com/Articles...'s+F-35+JSF+the+Lightning+II.html
I believe they've chosen a most fitting name, since Lockheed made the P-38 and the UK, the only Level 1 partner in the JSF, had the EE version. Would this mean the end of naming new fighters after birds of prey, and the revival of WWII legends?

Let him have his fun. He's just found a way to get even for the Whalejet.  Smile
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield

deltadc9

Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:29 am

Quoting Ptrjong (Reply 7):

That is NOT the F-35, FYI. I can see why you feel that way, pictured is the losing Boeing offereing that was not chosen.

The F-35 basically looks like a smaller F-22 with one engine.
Dont take life too seriously because you will never get out of it alive - Bugs Bunny

UH60FtRucker

Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:31 am

Quoting Ptrjong (Reply 7):

Was that picture a mistake?

Because that's not the F-35... that is the Boeing's F-32, which was the competitor to Lockheed's F-35, in the JSF fly off.

THIS is the F-35

-UH60
Your men have to follow your orders. They don't have to go to your funeral.

ptrjong

Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:52 am

Thanks guys, that was very stupid of me.    

The Lockheed aircraft does look a lot better to be honest, although I think I saw a side-on photo of the F-35 that also made it look quite ugly.

The F-22 would have been the better plane for the name though, simply due to the fact that the P-38 represents the first highly successful twin engined fighter.

That was what I meant, too. A twin, a big fighter, more of an interceptor (The Lightning I was actually designed as an interceptor I believe).

BTW I love the Whale name.

Cheers

Peter 

[Edited 2006-07-07 23:53:56]

AirSpare

Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:28 am

I can't agree with the name Lightning, or can think of any historic name for this aircraft. As it really does not have a link to the past, it might as well be called the Jug (or Thunderbolt II which may be most appropriate), or Corsair II, Skyhawk doesn't cut it, Thunderchief II is to "60s".

To bad we did'nt have a poll to name it, that may have been fun though I might have missed it if there were.
Get someone else for your hero worship fetish

ptrjong

Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:33 am

Marauder II?

It's Lockheed Martin after all.

Thorny

RE: Reuters: New US F-35 Fighter Dubbed "Lightning

Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:42 am

Quoting AirSpare (Reply 12):
I can't agree with the name Lightning, or can think of any historic name for this aircraft. As it really does not have a link to the past, it might as well be called the Jug (or Thunderbolt II which may be most appropriate), or Corsair II, Skyhawk doesn't cut it, Thunderchief II is to "60s".

I am one who was very disappointed F-22 was named for a dinosaur instead of Lightning II, so I accept F-35 as second-best.

FYI... Corsair II was the name of the A-7. Republic Aviation is dead and gone, and with it, most likely, the "Thunder-" names (P-47, F-84, F-84F, RF-84F, XF-84H, F-105, A-10) Thunderbolt II is the official name of the A-10, the end of the road for Republic.

Devilfish

Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:09 am

Now that it has a name, could we expect JT to endorse the "greased" Lightning II?  Smile

10boomer

Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:40 am

Quoting Thorny (Reply 14):
I am one who was very disappointed F-22 was named for a dinosaur

A Raptor is a bird of prey, a Velociraptor is a dinosaur

Lightning II, it's not a lame as it could be
Fly Gucci

MigFan

Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:03 am

Some ideas...

Sledgehammer, Katana, Da Sh!t, Mac Daddy, Daddy Mac, R.E.F. (Really Expensive Fighter), Red-Headed Step-Fighter, Wolverine

Just a thought...

/M
UH-60's suck!!!

N328KF
Topic Author

Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:54 pm

Quoting Thorny (Reply 14):
FYI... Corsair II was the name of the A-7. Republic Aviation is dead and gone, and with it, most likely, the "Thunder-" names (P-47, F-84, F-84F, RF-84F, XF-84H, F-105, A-10) Thunderbolt II is the official name of the A-10, the end of the road for Republic.

Republic became Fairchild-Republic, which became Fairchild-Dornier. They only recently folded.

VirginFlyer

Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:18 pm

Quoting AirSpare (Reply 12):
Thunderchief II is to "60s"

I reckon it would actually have been quite a good name - the aircraft are similar in a number of respects - single pilot, single engine, strike fighter. It even has the same style of intake when viewed from above...

View Large View Medium

Photo © Frank C. Duarte Jr.
View Large View Medium

Photo © Charles Falk

Oh well, at least they didn't call it the Spitfire II as some people had been suggesting...

V/F
"So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth." - Bahá'u'lláh

lehpron

Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:25 am

Awe, now we see how something simple turns offensive. Both of you should be slapped, IMO.
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

scottieprecord

Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:13 pm

I toured the Lockheed plant in Ft. Worth... That plane is the most badass piece of technology I've ever seen...

The actual construction techniques of the F-35 are amazing... it makes the F-22 look old, and the F-16 ancient. I can't wait for that plane to become operational!

I kinda like the name "Lightning II". Seems fitting to me...

-Mike

ptrjong

Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:00 pm

Big version: Width: 445 Height: 296 File size: 110kb

Here is the picture that caused me to call the F-35 a flying frog (even though I foolishly tried to illustrate that with an F-32 picture).

There's no need to agree with me on this, of course, and certainly no need to feel offended by it, unless you are the designer of the F-35 AND beauty was your design target. Wink

Peter

deltadc9

Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:45 pm

Quoting Lehpron (Reply 20):
Awe, now we see how something simple turns offensive. Both of you should be slapped, IMO.

Who was offended? It was a simple question based on a remark that seemed a little strange due to the fact that the F-35 is very impressive to look at IMO.

Maybe you should be slapped for trying to find a problem where there is none!

Quoting Ptrjong (Reply 22):
There's no need to agree with me on this, of course, and certainly no need to feel offended by it, unless you are the designer of the F-35 AND beauty was your design target

As I said above, I had never seen anyone really upset with the looks of the F-35, and from the picture above of it flying it is a pretty good looking plane, but not to everyone I am sure. The picture you post is not doing it justice thats for sure, and that Boeing plane was just bizzarre, like they took the Corsair and mated it with an F-18.

Do you still not like it after seeing a more flattering picture? Just curious.

ptrjong

Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:57 am

Hi DeltaDC9,

Quoting DeltaDC9 (Reply 23):
picture you post is not doing it justice thats for sure,

That is true, and yes, it does looks better from other angles. But I don't think it's a good-looking fighter. It's too flat and square and the nose, especially, is too short.

that Boeing plane was just bizzarre

I'm glad everybody seems to agree on THAT.

like they took the Corsair and mated it with an F-18

Now you're insulting the Corsair Wink

MigFan

Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:02 am

I just get the "hawk" name popping into my head when I see this aircraft. It is not as elegant as the F-16, or even the F/A-18, but to say it is ugly is going a bit far. The A-10 is ugly, but gorgeous in it's own right. The same could be said for the A-7, F-4, and most early model Migs (15, 17, 19, late model 21s).

The crews will probably give it their own names any how.

Examples: AH-1 Cobra aka "The snake"
A-7 Corsair II aka "SLUF"
B-52 Stratofortress (Great name) aka "BUFF"
F-16 Fighting Falcon (LAAAMME!!!) aka "Viper" (Much better)
A-3D Skywarrior aka "All Three Dead"
A-4 Skyhawk aka "Scooter" or "Small Plane Circus"
F-4 Phantom II (yes, there was a Phantom I) aka "Rhino"
F/A-18E Super Hornet aka "Rhino" or "Super Bug"

I'd give anything to fly it...

/M
UH-60's suck!!!

N328KF
Topic Author

Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:26 am

Quoting MigFan (Reply 25):
The crews will probably give it their own names any how.

Don't forget:

F-15 Eagle -> "Starship" (though "Eagle" was a good name, so it was still widely used.)
EA-6B Prowler -> "Queer"
F-111 -> "Aardvark" (this nickname was only made official upon retirement)
EF-111 Raven -> "Spark 'Vark"

deltadc9

Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:49 am

Quoting Ptrjong (Reply 24):
It's too flat and square and the nose, especially, is too short.

I can see why you would think that, but is is simply form following function.

The huge diameter of the engine, combined with the internal weapons bays made is kinda square, and the short nose is simply a result of the miniaturization of the radar systems and the need for better visibility over the nose. Stealth was also a consideration, the computer dictates that.

Think how big the nose cone is on an F-14. You could put a bed in there and take a nap! Not so great for seeing what is directly ahead and under you visually.

Quoting MigFan (Reply 25):
F-4

I still think the F-4 Phantom II is the best looking fighter ever. Maybe it is just me. Those upswept wingtips and dowswept vertical fins, along with the curved lines made it totally unique and beautiful. And it was quite the hot rod.

While I love the F-14 and F-15, they never seemed as graceful looking as the F-4 or some of the Russian designs, just intimidating, which is cool too.

MigFan

Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:06 am

The F-4 is definetley a bad-ass looker. It has an arched-back appearance like a pissed-off cat. I do not think it is as sleek or clean as the F-16, F-104, Mirage, F-106, Concorde (when the nose is straight). The most graceful Soviet design, in my opinion, would have to be the Mig-21.

I love the F-4, hopefully I can see one fly sometime.

/M
UH-60's suck!!!

ptrjong

Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:09 am

Quoting DeltaDC9 (Reply 27):
I can see why you would think that, but is is simply form following function.

I never doubted its functionality (because I don't know enough of this aircraft, as I have amply proven).
I just happen to think it doesn't look very good, functional or not.
As to functionality, 'flying frog' might actually be regarded as a compliment for the V/STOL version (there is a V/STOL version, isn't there?)

The F-4 looks good in its own unique way. The F-15 looks quite good to me, unlike the F-16.
The Eurofighter looks like a bad computer graphic. The Rafale looks quite good and the beauty contest is won hands down by the Su-27.

deltadc9

Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:47 am

Quoting Ptrjong (Reply 29):
The Eurofighter looks like a bad computer graphic.

I cant decide why I dont like the way the EF looks, I think you might be on to something.

Quoting MigFan (Reply 28):
I love the F-4, hopefully I can see one fly sometime.

They are loud, they are smokey, but they just seem to slip thru the air like a hot knife thru butter. Sure they are not as manuverable as the new stuff, but niether is a '63 split window coupe.

okelleynyc

Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:58 am

Is it just me or do the weapon bay doors look like they don't seat completely flush? Perhaps it's just the way in which the photo was taken?

The close up is the fourth image down....

http://www.flightglobal.com/Articles...in+F-35+JSF+ahead+of+official.html

Edit: It also looks like Turkey is going to prevent us from launching a sidewinder! Check out the stickers...

[Edited 2006-07-10 23:00:55]
Just give me my Vario, my Ozone Mojo and a gorgeous day of soaring.

usnseallt82

Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:57 am

They just had the inauguration of the F-35 in Ft. Worth at the Lockheed Martin Corp...

(all pictures from http://www.navy.mil )
Crye me a river

Devilfish

Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:12 am

Quoting Usnseallt82 (Reply 32):
They just had the inauguration of the F-35 in Ft. Worth at the Lockheed Martin Corp...

Nice pics. Thanks for sharing. The last three shots more than made up for the ungainly side view in Flight's release. Though the bulging cheeks and neck do suggest a resemblance to (dare I say it?) a frog!

Anyone know the species of the quick, camouflaging, nocturnal hunter featured in the Animal Planet? Stealthy as F-35!

[Edited 2006-07-11 01:14:54]

okelleynyc

Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:38 am

I dunno, while I like the frog analogy, I think it looks more like a pelican.

An example: http://www.lotsofrobots.com/images/Pelican_M.jpg
Just give me my Vario, my Ozone Mojo and a gorgeous day of soaring.

MigFan

Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:22 am

The aircraft has a wide stance. Plus, the short stubby wings should make for a manoeverable aircraft.

One thing is sure, do not judge a book by it's cover...

/M
UH-60's suck!!!

AerospaceFan

Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:54 am

Great pics of the F-35! I'd pay quite a lot to have one of those in my garage!
What's fair is fair.

MissedApproach

Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:38 am

Isn't it bad enough that car companies are recycling all the names from the great American muscle cars & using them on crappy, pale modern imitations of them? Now we have to reuse names for every airplane built?
Pilots usually come up with the best (if unofficial) names for planes anyway.
Can you hear me now?

fumanchewd

Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:19 pm

Quoting MissedApproach (Reply 37):

bigthumbsup 
I've always liked...
B52 BUFF
and F105 Thud
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

N328KF
Topic Author

Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:13 pm

Isn't it bad enough that car companies are recycling all the names from the great American muscle cars & using them on crappy, pale modern imitations of them? Now we have to reuse names for every airplane built?

Not only that, but many car names are taken from aircraft. Witness Mustang and Viggen.

baron95

Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:23 pm

Mustang II would be more appropriate than Lighting II.

Mustang as in, single engine, most powerful single fighter engine ever, range, payload, ground atack capabilities.

The F-35 is to the Mustang a lot more than to the P-38.
Killer Fleet: E190, 737-900ER, 777-300ER

MigFan

Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:29 pm

How about, we call it "Splitting Hairs" ?

/M
UH-60's suck!!!

Devilfish

Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:59 am

Quoting Okelleynyc (Reply 34):
I think it looks more like a pelican.

Quoting MigFan (Reply 35):

One thing is sure, do not judge a book by it's cover...

We're not. It's for sure that while it may look ungainly on the ground, like some birds, it would be powerful, graceful and majestic once airborne!

Isn't it bad enough that car companies are recycling all the names from the great American muscle cars

Was Stingray ever suggested? (Though it sounds more like a missile name.)

Quoting N328KF (Reply 39):
& using them on crappy, pale modern imitations of them? Now we have to reuse names for every airplane built?

Generally, I think modern namesakes of old airplanes are anything but pale and crappy.

Quoting MigFan (Reply 41):
How about, we call it "Splitting Hairs" ?

bigthumbsup  There lies the fun! Isn't A.net all about splitting hairs about things most other people don't give a hoot to?

N328KF
Topic Author

Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:47 am

Quoting DEVILFISH (Reply 42):
Generally, I think modern namesakes of old airplanes are anything but pale and crappy.

Please quote the proper person in the future.

Thorny

Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:14 am

Quoting Baron95 (Reply 40):
The F-35 is to the Mustang a lot more than to the P-38.

I'm not so sure. P-38 was used in more roles than the P-51 was (at least, not counting the unimpressive Allison-powered A-36s), which would seem to be a better fit with the multipurpose F-35 (replacing F-16, earfly F-18s, AV-8, and A-10).

P-51 was the closest thing the US fielded to an Air Superiority fighter during the war. Maybe the F-22 should have been named Mustang II.

Devilfish

Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:17 am

Quoting N328KF (Reply 43):

Please quote the proper person in the future.

Sorry about that. Got the first passage but my eyes strayed to your quote on the next.  ashamed  Getting old.  old 

Quoting Baron95 (Reply 40):
Mustang II would be more appropriate than Lighting II.

Cessna might have an issue with that.

N328KF
Topic Author

Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:33 pm

Quoting DEVILFISH (Reply 45):
Cessna might have an issue with that.

If anyone would, it would be Boeing, as the successor to North American. Anyhow, there are plenty of cases of name reuse in the aerospace industry. Generally, I think, if it isn't reused in one category, nobody raises a stink. The best example I can think of would be of the name "Falcon," which was used by GD/Lockheed, Dassault, and Hughes during similar time periods, and Lockheed has a new vehicle they are calling "FALCON." Rolls used it a while ago, but that wasn't for an airframe.

deltadc9

Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:27 pm

Was Stingray ever suggested? (Though it sounds more like a missile name.)

I think maybe Firebird might be a good name.

What about Phantom III? Great name for a stealthy plane really.

I agree, tradition is a great thing if the new model lives up to it. We have no reason not to believe the F-35 is unworlthy.

Quoting Thorny (Reply 44):
Mustang II.

After what Ford did to that name with thier Mustang II, that would be bad. Even Ford went back to "Mustang" out of respect for tradition and shame.

Thorny

Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:17 am

Quoting Ptrjong (Reply 29):
The F-4 looks good in its own unique way.

If you like planes that look like someone closed the hangar door on its when it was half way through! Its amazing that plane flies as well as it does, since it looks like the design was badly botched and all sorts of quick-and-dirty fixes had to be made to it (ok... well, sweep up the wingtips! still not stable? ok... angle down the horizontal stabs... not fast enough? alright give its some area ruling...)

Quoting N328KF (Reply 46):
If anyone would, it would be Boeing, as the successor to North American.

On the other hand, Boeing now controls the old McDonnell-Douglas, which tried to build the A-12 Avenger II in the 1990s, appropriating a name from Grumman's heritage.

Quoting DeltaDC9 (Reply 47):

Make me think "Pontiac" not high-tech fighter...  Smile If we call F-35 "Firebird", we should rename F-22 "Mercedes".

Quoting N328KF (Reply 46):
Lockheed has a new vehicle they are calling "FALCON."

As does SpaceX in its space launch vehicle. Falcon's are everywhere. There must be no living with those Air Force Academy cadets...  Smile

I wonder why the U.S. likes Roman Numeral Aircraft (Phantom II, Corsair II, Lightning II...) but Europeans just use the same name without any addedum (Typhoon.)

What about Phantom III? Great name for a stealthy plane really.

Wasn't that rumored to be the name for Boeing's F-32 proposal? (It was derogatorily nicknamed "Monica" instead...)

Devilfish

Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:53 am

For a strike fighter, that is actually quite apt. Makes me think it wouldn't be too long before we see the rebirth of the "Thunderbird" and dread the resurrection of the various "Thunder....." names.