Tancrede
Topic Author

Israeli Patriots

Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:07 am

What has happened to the Israeli Patriot stationed near Haïfa? Did they ever launch any missile against the inbound Hezbollah missiles?

bhmbaglock

RE: Israeli Patriots

Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:08 am

I don't believe anything has been shot at the Israelis to this point that could be engaged by Patriot, i.e. too small and/or not flying high and long enough to acquire as a target. This is likely a precautionary move in case Syria or Iran decide to start lobbing larger missiles.

Anybody know if Arrow is operational and/or deployed?
Where are all of my respected members going?

PADSpot

Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:26 am

Quoting Tancrede (Thread starter):
What has happened to the Israeli Patriot stationed near Ha�fa? Did they ever launch any missile against the inbound Hezbollah missiles?

Artillery rockets as used by Hisballah are too small and extremely fast on a very short trajectory. At 40km target distance and Mach 3.5 flight time is less than 40 seconds. If the Arrow/or Patriot launcher is located some kilometers off the missiles trajectory, there is only a small chance to intervene at all... The lion share of Hisballah missiles has only a range of 10-15km and it has been said that they launched close to 700 within the last week. It would be a waste to launch a 1-Million-$ Patriot at each of these missiles ...

LY744

Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:44 am

Quoting BHMBAGLOCK (Reply 1):
Anybody know if Arrow is operational and/or deployed?

Yes. But it is even more useless against artillery than the Patriot.

Quoting BHMBAGLOCK (Reply 1):
This is likely a precautionary move in case Syria or Iran decide to start lobbing larger missiles.

That's right, it's been said that the version of the Patriot that the IDF/AF has (PAC-2 or -3?) can engage a target as small as a FROG-7. The Iranians are known to be making some derivatives of the aforementioned Soviet rocket, which may be in the hands of the Hezbollah already. I also agree on the Syria thing, they have an arsenal of FROGs and Scuds which could potentially be used in the unlikely event of a direct confrontation of Israel and Syria.

LY744.
Pacifism only works if EVERYBODY practices it

aislepathlight

Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:18 am

Quoting LY744 (Reply 3):
Scuds which could potentially be used in the unlikely event of a direct confrontation of Israel and Syria.

I think that Syria realises how crappy skuds are for doing anything except for messing with moral... and they realise how bad the would get screwed by Israel if they got attacked.
bleepbloop

bhmbaglock

Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:45 am

Quoting LY744 (Reply 3):
Yes. But it is even more useless against artillery than the Patriot.

I should have been clearer but this is very correct as Arrow is intended to destroy missiles at very high altitude vs. Patriot which targets them much closer to impact.

Quoting AislepathLight (Reply 4):
I think that Syria realises how crappy skuds are for doing anything except for messing with moral... and they realise how bad the would get screwed by Israel if they got attacked.

Judging by the current situation, there's plenty of people in the area who still haven't learned the consequences of pushing Israel too far.
Where are all of my respected members going?