QFA380
Topic Author

Military And Civilian Pilot Training

Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:56 pm

I am honestly not sure forum to put this in. If anyone thinks this should be put in another forum please ask the mods.

I have been wondering about this. People I've talked to say that the military teaches you to fly differently to the civilains. Some have said that it makes it worse for you if you are trained civil then military.

I would like to get a degree in aviation of some kind and then get a job as a pilot in the RAAF, so I can get some hours. I am sort of worried that if I do the civilain first then go RAAF, that I won't get in.

I am putting this in here as I am pretty sure some people are military and many are civilian.

So please post your comments as they will be much appreciated.

CF188A

RE: Military And Civilian Pilot Training

Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:47 pm

Here in Canada, the Air Force prefers you "NOT" to have any civil flight training as they would like to commence the training "their way" . However the PPL also proves your dedicated to flying, and that they would get their moneys worth out of you ....if you pass all the pre-reqc (which is EXTREMELY challenging in any Air Force) . I would recommend getting your degree and work towards a PPL. Having some background military reserve experience would also help enormously. You need to PROVE you are dedicated to them. Competition in any Air Force is insane . If you want to be a commercial pilot, there are two routes ...

1) Military for ___ years .... owe the time then retire and head to the airliners
2) Spend your own pocket and hope you make it into the airlines someday. Will be a long journey up to the top ... but those who love commercial say its well worth it. The famous saying..... Military is for the thrill.... Commercial is for the lifestyle  Wink
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow~ RIP ... LJFM

LY744

Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:43 am

Quoting QFA380 (Thread starter):
I would like to get a degree in aviation of some kind and then get a job as a pilot in the RAAF, so I can get some hours.

I don't know if you just worded that wrong, but you do realize that flying for the military is not just a "job", right? And you don't just "get" one.  Wink Scroll through the forum for more information, and make sure you know what you're (trying to) getting into, and that you're doing it for the right reasons. "Getting some hours" is not what most people consider a good reason.

Good luck either way!

LY744.
Pacifism only works if EVERYBODY practices it

QFA380
Topic Author

Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:58 am

Quoting LY744 (Reply 2):
but you do realize that flying for the military is not just a "job

Definitely, I do Air Force cadets so I have a small understanding of what happens on a RAAF base. I have poured over every single page on the defence jobs website. I suppose I did just word it badly.

I would love to be in the Air Force not just to get hours but to visit places, give something back to Australia and many other reasons.

I know that getting there will be tough, and getting in tougher. But I think I will have the dedication when the time comes.

LY744

Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:08 am

Quoting QFA380 (Reply 3):
Definitely, I do Air Force cadets so I have a small understanding of what happens on a RAAF base. I have poured over every single page on the defence jobs website. I suppose I did just word it badly.

I would love to be in the Air Force not just to get hours but to visit places, give something back to Australia and many other reasons.

I know that getting there will be tough, and getting in tougher. But I think I will have the dedication when the time comes.

That's the spirit. Hope everything goes your way then, good luck!

P.S. Your profile says that you're 13-15, but it's not too early for you to start preparing for a career as a military officer, especially in a competitive environment like flying.

LY744.
Pacifism only works if EVERYBODY practices it