FlyMKG
Topic Author

Different Paint Jobs On Fighters

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:29 am

I often see fighters in high visibility paint jobs but I never know what the little initials stand for in the captions. I was wondering if anybody could explain to me what the CAG and CO stand for in these photos? Its especially confusing because it is the same plane in both pics but with different labels. Also, is the jet with red tails in a retro scheme? Any other photos with other high vis schemes explained would be great. Thanks.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Neil Jones
View Large View Medium

Photo © John Higgins - AirTeamImages

View Large View Medium

Photo © Jeremy Gould

FlyMKG
Essential Power, Operating Generator.

SlamClick

RE: Different Paint Jobs On Fighters

Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:04 am

Not Navy here, but I believe I can offer something.

The letters you ask about refer (if I'm not mistaken) to the position held by the pilot of that plane.
CO - Commanding Officer (of the squadron most likely)
CAG - Commander, Air Group which a Navy type will have to explain.

The tail markings are, I believe, specific to a particular squadron, one of the smaller units in Navy or Air Force organization. Oh, and in certain Army branches too, like armored cavalry.

As to how large a unit a squadron would be, and how many aircraft they might have assigned I'll leave to others.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

MigFan

Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:01 am

The CAG is the commander of the carrier's air wing, and oversees the operations of all the squadrons within the battle group. More than likely the CAG is an ex-fighter jock with at least the grade of commander (LTC) or sometimes captain (COL). If that is the case his grade may be captain, but he is not the captain of the boat.

Full color, "hi-viz" schemes went out of naval service in the mid-eighties. When the USN retired their last F-4s from carrier duty in 1984, they were starting to "go grey". Now, everything is low-viz on the deck, exception being the E-2 and C-2 aircraft. The most standout feature is the modex and numbers that allow the carrier's control to see what aircraft is where on the deck from above and below. Sometimes the CAG bird and the CO's mount will have full color markings applied for display and RHiP purposes.

I wish the hi-viz schemes of the cold war era would come back...

/M
UH-60's suck!!!

SlamClick

Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:10 am

Quoting MigFan (Reply 2):
RHiP

Ahh, "rank has its privileges"

We had a similar rule in the airlines: "seniority has its trimmings" with its unfortunate but appropriate acronym.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

MigFan

Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:18 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 3):
We had a similar rule in the airlines: "seniority has its trimmings" with its unfortunate but appropriate acronym.

Army NCOs also have an unofficial spin-off, "I am the one holding the M60". At least they did in my company...

smirk 

/M
UH-60's suck!!!

Cruiser

Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:51 am

View Large View Medium

Photo © James Bainton

Canada always does one CF-18 in a special scheme for air shows.
Leahy on Per Seat Costs: "Have you seen the B-2 fly-by at almost US$1bn a copy? It has only 2 seats!"

N911ME

Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:22 am

The red tail markings on the VF-101 F-14D were placed on for commemorative reasons as it was the last year of the Tomcat in service - I believe that's the Grim Reapers demo bird. VF-32 (Fighting Swordsmen) also did a retro bird, as did the Pukin' Dogs of VF-143.

Some of the Tomcats went to the high-vis, "old-school" schemes in the past few years because of the aircraft's retirement. God, am I gonna miss them!

EMBQA

Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:17 am

The top two pictures of the F-14 are the same plane...I think they are just referening to who is flying the plane, not any special markings... or none that I can see.

[Edited 2006-08-31 04:18:33]
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"