Lumberton
Topic Author

Will Russian Eads Ownership Hurt Tanker Prospects?

Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:03 am

I started a thread on the commercial site on the Russian State Bank, VTB, buying 5% of EADS stock on the open market.
Russian State Bank Buys 5% Stake In Eads - Report (by Lumberton Aug 29 2006 in Civil Aviation)

Could this have adverse implications for EADS winning either the FCA or USAF tanker deal? After all, Russia is steadfast in selling arms to Iran. Some (if not all) in Congress could see them as an "enabler" of the Islamic theocracy in Teheran and their vitriolic campaign and undisguised hatred of the U.S, Israel, and the west in general. Granted, there is a much, much larger picture here--particularly WRT the close ties that have developed between Boeing and Russia over the years. However, in today's highly charged, toxic, and caustic political environment, anything can be demagogued (and not just in the U.S.).

Also, should the E.U. be concerned that Russia now has almost the same stake as Spain in their "crown jewel"?

EDIT: Came across this article (UK Times) after starting the thread....
Russian move on EADS rings alarms

Quote:
The move may ring alarm bells across the Atlantic. EADS is an important defence contractor, owning the European helicopter maker Eurocopter and having a 37.5 per cent stake in MBDA, a missile maker. For the giant European group, defence is an increasingly important segment of its business, and the American market is vital.
All big Western defence companies nowadays have international links, with global export markets as well as financial interests in other defence companies. Nevertheless, the prospect of a Russian state interest in Europe’s biggest aerospace group may make the Pentagon pause before placing orders. Russia is no longer a Cold War adversary, but neither is it seen as a wholly reliable or benign ally. Global competition for political influence is as fierce as ever, and America has deplored the authoritarian tendencies of the Putin Government.
A stake of only 5 per cent would not seem to be threatening. But if Moscow were to increase its holding, this might raise questions about the consortium. The fear might be that defence secrets would be compromised or that Russia might gain advantage in the global competition for arms sales. This is an area where Russia still presents a formidable challenge to the West: its arms sales to the developing world are huge and of crucial importance in volatile areas such as the Middle East.

I'm sure there'll be speculation in the U.S. Press as well.

[Edited 2006-08-30 17:27:46]
"When all is said and done, more will be said than done".

Stitch

RE: Will Russian Eads Ownership Hurt Tanker Prospects?

Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:44 am

If Russia takes BAE's stake and becomes a partner, I imagine there will be concern - not only in Washington, but Paris and Berlin, as well...

Lumberton
Topic Author

Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:57 am

Quoting Stitch (Reply 1):
If Russia takes BAE's stake and becomes a partner, I imagine there will be concern - not only in Washington, but Paris and Berlin, as well...

I think the fact that their stake is already as large as Spain's should be enough to generate that kind of concern!

saintsman

Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:20 am

They are buying them to make a profit not to interfere with defence policy. They could just as easy buy Boeing shares on the open market. Most shares are owned by banks and investment companies and you offer the right price, they will sell.

bennett123

Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:28 am

The question implies that the US would buy a non Boeing tanker.

kc135topboom

Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:42 pm

Quoting Bennett123 (Reply 4):

I think it implies that we would CONSIDER a non-Boeing tanker, just as we would CONSIDER a Boeing tanker.

But, if the Russians buy, even open stock of EADS, then that will pretty much kill any Grunman/EADS chance of getting a US Military contract in the future.

fvtu134

Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:06 pm

So that means that if Vneshtorgbank decides to increase it's aviation portfolio and decides to buy 5% of boeing on the open market, Boeing is also out of the market for supplying military contracts?

Obviously many people may have been surprised by this move but globalisation also happens on the financial markets and anybody can buy shares on the open market including Russians, Chinese, Cubans, Venezuelans, Syrians, Iranians, North-Koreans etc.... Now if all of those bought 5% of Boeing.... guess congress would do some head scratching.

I would think that there are enough clauses to protect the intellectual property of companies or the national interests of countries. But then it's also notthe first time that things are blown out of proportions by some of our friends in the US of A. Guess we'll just have to wait and see

FVTu134
who decided that a Horizon should be HORIZONtal???

kc135topboom

Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:57 pm

Quoting FVTu134 (Reply 6):
So that means that if Vneshtorgbank decides to increase it's aviation portfolio and decides to buy 5% of boeing on the open market, Boeing is also out of the market for supplying military contracts?

I think US laws don't allows these types of investments in some defense companies, like Boeing, Lockheed-Martin, GD, and some others.

scouseflyer

Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:34 pm

Quoting Stitch (Reply 1):
If Russia takes BAE's stake and becomes a partner, I imagine there will be concern - not only in Washington, but Paris and Berlin, as well

I didn't think that BAe had stake in EADS - just a stake in Airbus which is jointly owned by EADS (80%) and Bae(20%) but not for very much longer!

RichardPrice

Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:50 pm

Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 7):

I think US laws don't allows these types of investments in some defense companies, like Boeing, Lockheed-Martin, GD, and some others.

BAE owns significant shares in many US defence contractors, and even owns some outright.

kc135topboom

Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:58 pm

Quoting RichardPrice (Reply 9):
BAE owns significant shares in many US defence contractors, and even owns some outright.

BAE is a US defense contractor, too.

TropicBird

Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:10 am

The politicians who are die hard Boeing fans will use any issue to challenge EADS in the competition for the tanker. They will use this issue even if it is baseless by creating a perception of a problem. It is a common tactic in politics.

Lumberton
Topic Author

Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:15 am

Quoting TropicBird (Reply 11):
They will use this issue even if it is baseless by creating a perception of a problem. It is a common tactic in politics.

Look it from the perspective of negative campaign ads...everyone decries them, but they work!  Wink

Stitch

Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:08 am

Quoting Scouseflyer (Reply 8):
I didn't think that BAe had stake in EADS - just a stake in Airbus which is jointly owned by EADS (80%) and Bae(20%) but not for very much longer!

I stand corrected, then.  Smile You can disregard Reply #2 now.  Wink

Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:58 am

The US already buys a non-Boeing tanker; the Lockheed Martin KC-130J for the US Marines.

halls120

Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:13 am

Quoting Lumberton (Thread starter):
Could this have adverse implications for EADS winning either the FCA or USAF tanker deal?

Not really. EADS had a minimal chance in winning the tanker contract before the latest development.

We would. We'd buy a Lockheed tanker, for instance. Yes, I know, they don't make one......

Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 5):
I think it implies that we would CONSIDER a non-Boeing tanker, just as we would CONSIDER a Boeing tanker.

We'd consider it long enough to make it look like a fair evaluation.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography