bhxdtw

American AF Base In Botswana?

Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:35 pm

Hi guys..
Just a quick thought..
I saw this photo in the database and I never knew..(maybe I was a little naive) but I never knew that the Americans had an AF base in Botswana..
Why is this ? and what acft are based their ?? also how many other countries do the US have AF bases in ??
I know they have bases in Germany , the UK , Indian Ocean etc.. but Botswana ?? That just seemed a little strange.. maybe theres a blatent obvious reason but if anyone can kindly enlighten me Id be most appreciative !!

Joe

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Julian Whitelaw

RayPettit

RE: American AF Base In Botswana?

Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:19 pm

It shows up on Google Earth and is where the Botswanans base their CF-5 aircraft.

Here's a link to the Google Earth forum on this place.

http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/575293/Main/81269

Ray

MigFan

Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:15 pm

I would guess that it is a staging area to refuel and rest aircrews.

/M
UH-60's suck!!!

Lt-AWACS

Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:47 pm

Botswana is actually a good friend to the US. It is one of the most stable countries in Africa and has been visited by several US presidents.

I had a an Officer from the Botswana Air Force in my SOS class at Maxwell. Great guy who often spoke of interaction with the USAF. C-130s and such mainly. I hope to hop down there in the next few years for a visit.

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,
Thank God for Dutch girls
Io voglio fica ogni giorni da mia bella moglie!

LAXintl

Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:46 am

You guys would be surprised at what facilities around the globe have regular contingents US forces there.

Just from last weeks news, who would have believed pre 9/11, the USAF would operate a large air base in former USSR territory - Kyrgyzstan.

Similarly, the US has forces in other more obscure regions such as the horn of Africa, and recently spread out amongst the new democracies of Eastern Europe.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California