ghostbase

NAS Keflavik Disestablished - What Happens Now?

Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:48 am

Just received the news via a Yahoo e-group that NAS Keflavik in Iceland has finally been disestablished, on Friday 8th September.

The base once had a population that exceeded 5,000 military and
civilian personnel and family members, and over 550 facilities. All now departed. Quote: "Everywhere from housing units, to playgrounds, to schools -- all that remains now is the memories of the vibrant community the base once supported."

So what happens now to this large facility? Anyone who has been to Keflavik cannot have failed to notice the impressive former Navy base. I was lucky enough to have been allowed to drive around it in the late 90's after turning up for an airshow that had been moved to another date! Wish I had taken some photos now.

Also, there was a preserved UP-3A Orion as well as a C-117D Skytrooper; what has happened to these aircraft?

ghost 
"I chase my dreams but I never seem to arrive"

Lumberton

RE: NAS Keflavik Disestablished - What Happens Now?

Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:52 am

So the USN has pulled chocks; is there still a USAF presence? NATO?
"When all is said and done, more will be said than done".

f4wso

Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:37 am

The absence of a viable threat transiting the Greenland, Iceland, UK (GIUK) gap negated much of the need for the base. I was last through there in January 2006 and didn't see much activity. There are some large hangars that may be put to good use by by Icelandair or other commercial concerns.
Gary
Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Seeking an honest week's pay for an honest day's work

STT757

Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:06 am

The US Air Force had F-15s forward deployed from Britain in Iceland, those aircraft will come back to Lakenheath. The US Air Force also had a Rescue squadron station there, they are in the middle of moving to Midenhall.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

usnseallt82

Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:40 am

Quoting Ghostbase (Thread starter):
NAS Keflavik Disestablished - What Happens Now?

We fly the pond nonstop.

Other than that, there wasn't much use for it anymore.
Crye me a river

jetjack74

Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:01 pm

Quoting Usnseallt82 (Reply 4):
Other than that, there wasn't much use for it anymore.

The anti-soviet ASW programme is no longer needed now that the P-3 is slowly dying off. NAS Kef is another example of overseas Naval bases either closing of turning over to the USAF. Prime example, Sig- supposed to be going to the Air Force, now that all Navy Squadrons are gone with excepton of the rotation of our airwing, NAS Rota is all Air Force. Even base ops, ATOC and AMC reps are all Air Force. Navy, standing down
Made from jets!

oklso

Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:40 pm

I transited BIKF last Thursday, 9/07, on a tech stop (EBBR-KEWR) and both the Air Force alert facility and NAS were ghost-towns. The alert facility is already closed and the NAS will be disestablished September 30. I flew through there in the eighties and early nineties on C9B missions in support of NAS Kef. The earlier post re the no viable mission is spot-on. Does anyone know when the last Bear was intercepted of Kilo/Typhoon prosecuted? The only activity I saw was a Navy crash truck that came out to watch me plunck it on.

usnseallt82

Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:05 am

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 5):
The anti-soviet ASW programme is no longer needed now that the P-3 is slowly dying off.

Well, ASW will be around for a while, but we'll be in different aircraft. No need to stopover halfway when we can make the entire trip without any problems in the P-8.
Crye me a river

garysted

Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:19 am

Quoting STT757 (Reply 3):
they are in the middle of moving to Midenhall.

The 56th RS has moved into the long disused HAS complex on the North side of Lakenheath, never was intended for Mildenhall and I believe all five HH-60's have now arrived.

While the USAF TDY'd a few F-15's (and sometimes F-16's) in more recent years (since the closure of the 57th FIS) they did not just come from Lakenheath - although the 48th FW took it's turn. Even the Hawaii ANG had at least one det at Keflavik. It is accurate that the 48th FW at Lakenheath now does, however, have the commitment for Iceland with the withdrawal of the the permanet fighter det.

Gary

b52murph

Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:01 pm

Quoting Lumberton (Reply 1):
So the USN has pulled chocks; is there still a USAF presence? NATO?

There may be a few of our guys in the 85th Gp left, but only for a few more weeks at the most. Last I heard the 85th (host wing) was scheduled to deactivate 30 Sep. On the positive side, they're taking some equipment (office supplies, etc) from up there and shipping it to us in Turkey. Yay!

SWAbubba

RE: NAS Keflavik Disestablished - What Happens Now

Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:02 pm

From what I've been told the airfield will still have fuel for those of us that occasionally need to stop on the way across the pond. I had to stop for gas there this spring and things were pretty quiet even then.

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 5):
Even base ops, ATOC and AMC reps are all Air Force. Navy, standing down

The Navy is definitely standing down, but the base ops folks were still Navy when I was in Sig and Rota last week. I ran into one of my old FE's on duty in base ops.

cruisertk421

Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:50 am

From what I understand, the Icelanders never cared much for us being there in the first place- I can't imagine they are too upset about Keflavik turning into a ghost town.

Mike

Venus6971

Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:36 am

Quoting Oklso (Reply 6):
Does anyone know when the last Bear was intercepted of Kilo/Typhoon prosecuted?

I was part of the 960 AWACS right before they closed up shop in Iceland, I remember the week before the Coup to remove Gorby from power we scrambled 4 times that week, the week after the collaspe we had absolutely nothing except maybe 1 or 2 Bears to check out the ice pack for the fishing fleet coming out of Murmansk. When I left in April 92 it was absolutely no mission for the 57 FIS and the 960 AWACS, my whole year we had NATO AWACS out of GK and the day I rotated out the 552 nd took over again.
I would help you but it is not in the contract

BatonOps

Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:55 am

I was stationed at Kef from Jan 91 to Jan 92 with the 57th FIS. I've got some great pictures of Russian Bears taken by our F-15 pilots. It was always exciting when the alert birds where scrambled!  Smile

Keflavik was a great assignment...even though it was a remote tour. I'd pick Iceland over Korea anyday. It is a shame to see it closed down.

taxpilot

Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:56 am

Quoting Cruisertk421 (Reply 11):
From what I understand, the Icelanders never cared much for us being there in the first place- I can't imagine they are too upset about Keflavik turning into a ghost town.

But they sure did like the free run of the O'Club.

It is always sad to see an old haunt close down. I was TDY there with the old 552nd (EC-121 Warning Stars (Connies)), huntn' Bears and directing the F102s of the 57th! It was fun, but I sure must be older than I feel.

Greg

Venus6971

Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:57 am

Quoting TaxPilot (Reply 14):
I was TDY there with the old 552nd (EC-121 Warning Stars

And I thought I was old for working E-3's pretty my whole career with a little sojourn into the 89th and tankers. Keflavik which is Icelandic for "Don't knock it, it's better than Korea" If I had to go remote again I would have chosen Iceland again. The Chem warfare exercises there were a joke unlike how they are played in Korea. Plus for me anyhow I passed for a local downtown and was not bothered and the pretty long legged Icelandic girls actually said hello to me. Going to the big Lutheran church there being raised Lutheran myself I was actually able to follow the service even though I did not understand the language. Try that in Korea.

Dougloid

Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:35 am

For the average Icelander that means a sharp drop in pregnancies of da womenfolk and more booze available. Course, the sheep will still be molested plenty, they were never our type.

Wink  Wink  Wink
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

aero145

Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:48 am

Quoting Cruisertk421 (Reply 11):
the Icelanders never cared much for us being there in the first place- I can't imagine they are too upset about Keflavik turning into a ghost town.

USA Icelandic Government Allies, too many to write down, did want this base to be.

But most people did care about it... oh yes... they did care about that it was there! They wanted it to go. In 1960-something, there was a walk from Reykjavik to Keflavik, many people went, and were doing that 'cause of the base. And now, it is gone, and loads of people have gone happy, including me. IMHO there's no need to have the US Army there, what can they do? Say hello to the Army aircraft crossing the pond? Maybe... But still, Army aircraft may and can land in KEF, and RKV also if they need to.

"I can't imagine they are too upset about Keflavik turning into a ghost town."

Well, Keflavik is a town with few thousand people. Keflavik NAS is empty... You understand? Keflavik is a town that is close to the base...  Smile

Venus6971

Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:53 am

Quoting Venus6971 (Reply 15):
Well, Keflavik is a town with few thousand people. Keflavik NAS is empty... You understand? Keflavik is a town that is close to the base...

So what is your guys plan for the base, any economic development, is the US Govt leaving behind any equipment such as snow plows or fire fighting equipment. Is base housing going to used for anything or the hangers? What happens if U.S. Military has an emergency and has to land there, what are the agreements?

Asturias

Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:05 am

Quoting Venus6971 (Reply 18):
So what is your guys plan for the base, any economic development, is the US Govt leaving behind any equipment such as snow plows or fire fighting equipment. Is base housing going to used for anything or the hangers? What happens if U.S. Military has an emergency and has to land there, what are the agreements?

The buildings will be demolished, is my guess, and the airfield taken over by Icelandic civil authorities.

The USA didn't have any special snow-plows or fire equipment. That was all out-sourced to civil entrepreneurs. I reckon they'll have to cut down, since the US DoD is now their ex-employer and with the base disbanded the traffic at KEF will be a lot less.

Simple as that really. It will be no different from OSL, I suppose for the USA. Just another civil airfield with all the services and limitations that implies.

cheers

Asturias
Tonight we fly

Dougloid

Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:59 am

Quoting Aero145 (Reply 17):
But most people did care about it... oh yes... they did care about that it was there! They wanted it to go. In 1960-something, there was a walk from Reykjavik to Keflavik, many people went, and were doing that 'cause of the base. And now, it is gone, and loads of people have gone happy, including me. IMHO there's no need to have the US Army there, what can they do? Say hello to the Army aircraft crossing the pond? Maybe... But still, Army aircraft may and can land in KEF, and RKV also if they need to.

Well, Keflavik is a town with few thousand people. Keflavik NAS is empty... You understand? Keflavik is a town that is close to the base...

It was quite clear he was referring to the air station and not the town of Keflavik. You understand? I wasn't confused at all and neither should you be. Too bad about the jobs, huh?

b52murph

Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:04 am

USA Icelandic Government Allies, too many to write down, did want this base to be.

Aero145, why did you actually want the base to go away? Wasn't it bringing good-paying jobs for the locals in the town of Keflavik? Clearly, if this goes back to the 1960s, then the opposition wasn't just due to recent world events. Most places where a base brings a community employment, they want to keep the base around, even if they are an anti-military community.

cruisertk421

Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:04 am

Maybe Iceland can get the UN to relocate it's headquarters to Keflavik.

Mike

Dougloid

Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:39 pm

Quoting Cruisertk421 (Reply 22):

Mike

I got one a them hand held counters my old lady uses in the super market. Do ya think I can get a job counting penguins?

Venus6971

Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:28 am

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 23):
I got one a them hand held counters my old lady uses in the super market. Do ya think I can get a job counting penguins?

There are no penguins in Iceland, but the have Puffins which they hunt and eat, they look like a penguin but can fly, they have a rainbow colored beak.

Quoting Cruisertk421 (Reply 22):

Our you kidding, the moment one of those NYC spoiled diplomats get off the plane and smell the cod drying racks they are so out of there. Plus all the employees of the U.N. couldn't survive without a starbucks. Also I am sure the Icelandic police will not let them leave the country before paying their parking tickets. IPD could threaten them by turning off the heating system.

Dougloid

Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:38 am

Quoting Venus6971 (Reply 24):
Quoting Dougloid (Reply 23):

There are no penguins in Iceland, but the have Puffins which they hunt and eat, they look like a penguin but can fly, they have a rainbow colored beak.

Penguins, puffins, tomato, tomahto, let's call the whole thing off.

Wink  Wink  Wink

aero145

Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:45 am

Quoting B52murph (Reply 21):
Aero145, why did you actually want the base to go away?

IMHO, there is no such a reason to have a foreign army in our land.

Quoting B52murph (Reply 21):
Wasn't it bringing good-paying jobs for the locals in the town of Keflavik?

Believe me, there are other jobs to get in Iceland! I know that many Icelandic people lost their jobs when the airbase was abandonded, but, if it hadn't been there, they would have found other jobs, I'm almost 100% sure.

Dougloid

Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:26 am

Quoting Aero145 (Reply 26):
Believe me, there are other jobs to get in Iceland! I know that many Icelandic people lost their jobs when the airbase was abandonded, but, if it hadn't been there, they would have found other jobs, I'm almost 100% sure.

I guess that means you aren't looking for a job.

Consider that when you have a job, someone else losing theirs is a slight inconvenience-really, a mere bagatelle. But when you or I lose our jobs, it's a fucking disaster, which you well know. I believe the number was about 600 and it seems that your minister of foreign affairs has been pretty conflicted about the entire affair.

I just love unanimity. Really I do.

Wink  Wink  Wink

prebennorholm

Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:18 am

Please don't talk about jobs. All Icelandics I know have at least two jobs, they are a nation of workaholics. Besides that NAS Keflavik has offered very few Icelandic jobs during the last decade or so. Since the end of the cold war it has shrunk into a tiny shadow of its former magnitude.

Keflavik has for many years been 90-99% civil airport with a quite busy and quite new Leifur Eiriksson terminal.

What the Icelandics are now missing is the SAR capability for their fishing fleet - free of change.

Now it is of course outdated to protest about US presence. So now they protest about them leaving - and leaving the Icelandics without a free of charge SAR capability.

A couple of large, long range choppers carry a high price tag when there are only 300,000 inhabitants to pay. But don't worry. They have the money to pay for them, and they have the skill to operate them. It was just so much more convenient to have them free of charge.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

Dougloid

Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:08 pm

Quoting Prebennorholm (Reply 28):
Now it is of course outdated to protest about US presence. So now they protest about them leaving - and leaving the Icelandics without a free of charge SAR capability.

A couple of large, long range choppers carry a high price tag when there are only 300,000 inhabitants to pay. But don't worry. They have the money to pay for them, and they have the skill to operate them. It was just so much more convenient to have them free of charge

We have a saying here in Iowa: "Why buy the cow when you can milk it through the fence?"

prebennorholm

Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:12 am

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 29):
We have a saying here in Iowa: "Why buy the cow when you can milk it through the fence?"

In Estonia they say that it's all a question about size. In the old days of the Soviet Union they had cows so big that they could eat grass in Estonia and still be milked in Russia.

Venus6971

Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:07 pm

Quoting Prebennorholm (Reply 30):
In Estonia they say that it's all a question about size. In the old days of the Soviet Union they had cows so big that they could eat grass in Estonia and still be milked in Russia.

I thought this was a mil av thread not dairy farming, boy talk about hijacking a thread.

Dougloid

Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:26 am

Quoting Venus6971 (Reply 31):
Quoting Prebennorholm (Reply 30):

I thought this was a mil av thread not dairy farming, boy talk about hijacking a thread.

do you have a comprehension problem or are you too busy to read the entire thread-what is it, 31 posts? The evolution and relatedness of the comments is easy to see.

ShyFlyer

Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:48 am

Quoting Venus6971 (Reply 31):
I thought this was a mil av thread not dairy farming

Complex military theory, strategy, and tactics can often be explained by using dairy analogies. On special occasions, poultry euphemisms pork parables may be used as well.  Silly
I lift things up and put them down.

UH60FtRucker

Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:19 pm

Quoting Aero145 (Reply 26):

Wow... with a welcoming and inviting attitude such as that... it's amazing US forces stuck around for as long as they did. Are all Icelandic people as... "friendly"?

-UH60
Your men have to follow your orders. They don't have to go to your funeral.

Venus6971

Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:59 pm

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 34):
Wow... with a welcoming and inviting attitude such as that... it's amazing US forces stuck around for as long as they did. Are all Icelandic people as... "friendly"?

At least they are friendlier than Iraqi's, no IED's on the way from Keflavik to Reykavik. I think all Icelandics were cats in a prior life.

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 33):
Complex military theory, strategy, and tactics can often be explained by using dairy analogies. On special occasions, poultry euphemisms pork parables may be used as well.

You know I used to be a dairy farmer with my Uncle in Wisconsin before the USAF. Milked 60 head of Holsteins twice a day 7 days aweek 365 days a year plus a hundred chickens, raised chickens that is not milking them . Lots of eggs and manure (cow shit for urban dwellers). Now I remember why I left the farm for the USAF. But no pigs, refer too much manure plus they stink worse than cows. Even though some acft I worked on in the USAF were considered Pigs.

Rotorimage

Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:42 am

The "catfish" from Kef (HH-60Gs from the 56th RQS) have moved to RAF Lakenheath.

aero145

Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:20 am

Wow... with a welcoming and inviting attitude such as that...

Classic, as always from you.  Wink

Are all Icelandic people as... "friendly"?

Of course we are .... Uhh, at least some, to US Soldiers.  stirthepot 

UH60FtRucker

Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:51 am

Quoting Aero145 (Reply 37):
Of course we are .... Uhh, at least some, to US Soldiers.

Yeah... I was wondering about that. So how do you know you don't have any Yank blood in ya?

-UH60
Your men have to follow your orders. They don't have to go to your funeral.

aero145

Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:36 pm

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 38):
So how do you know you don't have any Yank blood in ya?

'Cause my mother is from Poland and my father is from Palestine.  Wink

You've got Yank blood in yourself, it can be seen by your posts.  Smile

Dougloid

Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:57 pm

Quoting Aero145 (Reply 39):
Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 38):
So how do you know you don't have any Yank blood in ya?

'Cause my mother is from Poland and my father is from Palestine.

You've got Yank blood in yourself, it can be seen by your posts.

Parents have lied to their children before. I mean, my moter told me when I was a little kid that I was found in a cabbage patch.

Big version: Width: 130 Height: 97 File size: 3kb

ghostbase

Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:36 am

Thanks for all the replies to this thread, I am not quite sure how we got to dairy farming and Yankee ancestors  Wink

I have visited Iceland about half a dozen times now and it has to be one of my favourite countries. Yes, I find that the people can perhaps be a little reserved and perhaps aloof but you get just under that surface and Icelanders are people you can really depend upon and would be friends for life. That plus the country's volcanic scenery - I could retire to Iceland very happily!

Keflavik has fascinated me for many years. I believe that there was originally a WW2 British airfield nearby but I have been unable to find any remains. During the Cold War Keflavik really was a front-line base as several posters have described above: the 57th FIS flying their F-102A Delta Daggers routinely intercepted Soviet bombers, detached P-3's patrolled the GIUK gap, whilst the old EC-121 radar pickets ceaselessly searched for intruders. Not to mention acting as a vital staging point for the shorter-legged fighters and transports which would have bolstered Europe had the war turned hot in the 60's and 70's.

To this day one of my favourite 'techno-thriller' novels is 'Red Storm Rising' by Tom Clancy in which he describes a Soviet invasion of Iceland. Perhaps far-fetched but I understand that during WW2 Great Britain 'garrisoned' Iceland with up to 25,000 troops in fear of a German invasion and because of the island's strategic location. In May 1941 the United States offered to assume responsibility for Iceland which Churchill agreed to, thus freeing up a large number of men to be sent to other theatres of combat. In 1946 the United States and Iceland agreed an interim use of Keflavik Airport, then in 1951 at the request of NATO the Icelandic Defence Force was formed consisting of Army, Navy and Air Force personnel as well as local Icelandic civilians. My understanding is that with the world order as unsettled as it was back then the pragmatic Icelanders wisely decided that they needed much assistance with their defence and thus Keflavik as a NATO base was born.

The observation made by another poster above regards the effect upon the local economy is interesting. My purely observational experience is that the base at Keflavik was much more self-contained than similar bases in Germany or the UK and did not exert such a strong effect upon the local economy. In all my visits to Reykjavik and the surrounding areas I never noticed a strong American presence similar to that in other countries and there appeared to be very few Icelandic concerns which catered for American tastes or trade. No disrespect intended to our American cousins but blending into the background is not a trait U.S. servicemen are noted for, yet I never noticed any in Reykjavik in all my visits! It definitely felt that the NATO base was somewhat segregated from the rest of the country.

The world order has changed, NAS Keflavik is no longer required, Iceland no longer faces invasion due to her strategic location, and to answer "What happens now?" the answer seems to be "Nothing" because there is so little left to happen. The Icelanders are indeed pragmatic people and they will get on with their lives and adjust their economy again. As for me, I must fly north-west again to see what has happened to NAS Keflavik - another 'ghostbase' which we would have thought highly unlikely even a few years ago.

Apologies for the ramble...

ghost 
"I chase my dreams but I never seem to arrive"

cruisertk421

Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:16 am

I'm glad we're out of there. Iceland isn't much more than a fuel stop anyway and the country's population doesn't even amount to a rounding error as a percentage of world population. I'm sure they can figure out how to get by without us there anymore.

Mike

Asturias

Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:44 am

Quoting Cruisertk421 (Reply 42):
I'm glad we're out of there. Iceland isn't much more than a fuel stop anyway and the country's population doesn't even amount to a rounding error as a percentage of world population. I'm sure they can figure out how to get by without us there anymore.

You just dissed 150 000 incredibly beautiful women who really like foreign mysterious men as a rounding error.

I'll be sure to visit some of them soon!

cheers

Asturias
Tonight we fly

Venus6971

Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:53 am

Quoting Asturias (Reply 43):
You just dissed 150 000 incredibly beautiful women who really like foreign mysterious men as a rounding error.

I'll second that, some of the most beautiful women in the world. But that doesn't explain the Icelandic singer Bjork, did not see anybody else on the island that looked like her. Thank God.

prebennorholm

Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:35 am

Quoting Ghostbase (Reply 41):
As for me, I must fly north-west again to see what has happened to NAS Keflavik - another 'ghostbase' which we would have thought highly unlikely even a few years ago.

NAS Keflavik has been mostly a ghostbase for ten years or so. The last fifteen times I have been there I have only occationally seen a single, parked AWACS or military transport. That may also happen in the future.

In the 70'es and 80'es there were EC-121s, E-3As and P-3s all over the place.

That the very last man now left and dropped the keys in the ocean has no effect on the country. Iceland will just continue to be maybe the wealthiest and most comfortable country on this planet.

Keflavik has changed from 99% to 100% busy, civil airport. With occational visits by random military planes. KEF will still be a fuel stop when for instance Royal Danish Air Force F-16s go for exercises in the USA. Or when our C-130s bring supplies to Greenland.

aero145

Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:05 am

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 40):
Parents have lied to their children before. I mean, my moter told me when I was a little kid that I was found in a cabbage patch.

rotfl 

You're not convincing me, and you're just funny. If you'd know my parents, you wouldn't say that.

dispatchguy

Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:32 pm

On the closure, I'll be damned. I was there at KEF with the 57 FIS between 1991 and 1992.

One of the reasons that (in my opinion) the base didnt have much effect on the locals was that, during my 3 day base in-briefing, when I got there, it was one of the few NATO bases where the gate guards looked inwards.

The year I was there, the Navy LANTFLEET IG did a base visit, inspection and condemned as unfit for human habitation some of the Navy enlisted barracks, so those Navy dudes came into our Air Force dorms, and couldnt believe the condition of our barracks.
Nobody screws you better than an airline job!

Venus6971

Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:09 pm

Quoting Dispatchguy (Reply 47):
The year I was there, the Navy LANTFLEET IG did a base visit, inspection and condemned as unfit for human habitation some of the Navy enlisted barracks, so those Navy dudes came into our Air Force dorms, and couldnt believe the condition of our

The reason the Af barracks were in good shape that alot of self iniative
and self help of the Airman living there took place, I lived in the AWACS dorm next to the FIS dorm and we kept ours up nice, when it needed paint we painted it, kept it clean and took care of the knuckleheads who got drunk and destructive. I remember a many of night throwing out a drunk swabby out of our dorm. I think we had the nicest dorm plus we had the majority of the AF women billeted there on the third floor. For awhile we had a married AF couple on the the third floor while waiting a opening for on base housing, when they got their house it was one of the old BOAC houses which I thought was kind of nice. I remember frequenting the Marine Barracks bar which had decent food, the rest of the barracks had that Bureau of Prisons look.

dispatchguy

Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:49 pm

I was in the dorm which faced west overlooking the AF postoffice.

Quoting Venus6971 (Reply 48):
plus we had the majority of the AF women billeted there on the third floor

Thats where they were!  Smile
Nobody screws you better than an airline job!