airfoilsguy

Shuttle Support Vehicles What Are They

Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:35 am

I was watching the shuttle landing this morning and got to wondering. What are all those support vehicles functions. There were sure some odd looking things surrounding the shuttle after it landed. One had a huge propeller on it an was parked in front of the shuttle. I am guessing it was there to cool the shuttle after landing. The IR camera showed the shuttle as white when it was landing. Also some posted photos of these vehicles would be nice.
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

JetBlueGuy2006

RE: Shuttle Support Vehicles What Are They

Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:42 am

I don't know what it is called, but one of the support vehicals is used for the astronauts to disembark from the shuttle and take off their entry suites. It is the one that is the huge white-pod looking thing.
Home Airport: Capital Region International Airport (KLAN)

Thorny

Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:56 am

The big propeller truck is to disperse any residual toxic gasses that might be lingering around the RCS thrusters and OMS engines.

The truck with the big hoses connecting to the aft end of the Atlantis provides cooling to the Shuttle.

I think another truck provides electricity to the Shuttle, but that might be the same vehicle as the cooling truck.

The Peoplemover was added to the convoy after the Shuttle started bringing home long-duration astronauts from Mir, so that they can be brought out on stretchers instead of climbing down the stairs (most never used the stretcher anyway.)

The rest are standard fire/rescue and security vehicles on standby.

curlyheadboy

Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:28 am

Quoting Thorny (Reply 2):
I think another truck provides electricity to the Shuttle, but that might be the same vehicle as the cooling truck.

That's what I thought.... After today's landing the orbiter was on his own APU, you could see the exhaust coming out from somewhere near the vertical empennage (it displayed on the IR camera), then they radioed they were through the APU shutdown procedure, so they may very well rely upon a ground power unit at a certain point.
If God had wanted men to fly he would have given them more money...

Thorny

Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:34 am

Quoting CURLYHEADBOY (Reply 3):
That's what I thought.... After today's landing the orbiter was on his own APU, you could see the exhaust coming out from somewhere near the vertical empennage (it displayed on the IR camera), then they radioed they were through the APU shutdown procedure, so they may very well rely upon a ground power unit at a certain point.

The APUs provide hydraulic power. Electricity is generated by the Fuel Cells.

JBirdAV8r

Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:54 am

Quoting Thorny (Reply 4):

True. Plus, the Orbiter APUs (and SRB HPU's for that matter) burn an exciting blend of monomethyl hydrazine and N2O4. That's not your grandmother's APU exhaust...
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

curlyheadboy

Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:23 am

Quoting Thorny (Reply 4):

Quoting JBirdAV8r (Reply 5):
True. Plus, the Orbiter APUs (and SRB HPU's for that matter) burn an exciting blend of monomethyl hydrazine and N2O4. That's not your grandmother's APU exhaust...

Wow, didn't know this, thanks guys  Smile
If God had wanted men to fly he would have given them more money...

Thorny

Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:36 am

Quoting JBirdAV8r (Reply 5):

The Orbiter APUs use a hydrazine monopropellant, not a mixture with N2O4. I think that's true of the SRB's HPU too.

JBirdAV8r

Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:41 am

Quoting Thorny (Reply 7):
The Orbiter APUs use a hydrazine monopropellant, not a mixture with N2O4. I think that's true of the SRB's HPU too.

HPU/APU have quite a bit of commonality.

Simple chemistry...N2O4 with MMH makes an efficient thruster (hypergols), but definitely don't need that in an APU...oops for writing that. I stand corrected.
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet