rj777

Status Of Space Shuttle Endeavour

Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:44 pm

I just read on NASA's web site that Endeavour won't launch again until June of 2007. Have all the modifications been completed on her? If so, why are they waiting? If not, what's left?

RichardPrice

RE: Status Of Space Shuttle Endeavour

Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:58 pm

Endeavour is undergoing a scheduled major check, so shes pretty much in pieces at the moment. Discover and Atlantis underwent theres recently which is why they can fly.

Her delay is not due to the safety modifications.

SCEagle

Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:52 pm

Tab A into Slot B... wow, putting these things together is lots of fun.

Wonder how it looks all taken apart. Any pics?

Thorny

Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:20 am

Endeavour's overhaul was a low priority in light of the major problems with return to flight that NASA experienced with STS-114. Endeavour's return to flight was pushed back from STS-116 to STS-118 as a result of manpower and resources being used elsewhere.

Endeavour probably could have been ready to fly STS-117 in February, but that mission is almost identical (mirror image) to the just-flown STS-115 and is very heavy, so NASA wants to fly it on the lightest of the three Shuttles, Atlantis. (Note that all of the real heavyweight assembly missions... S3/S4 on STS-117, Node 2 on STS-120, and Japan's Kibo Lab on STS-124 are each scheduled to fly on Atlantis.)

Endeavour is probably almost finished with her Orbiter Major Modification about now, and should soon begin the usual 4 to 6 month Orbiter processing for STS-118. STS-118 will be the mirror image of December's STS-116.

DfwRevolution

Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:15 am

Quoting Thorny (Reply 3):
Endeavour probably could have been ready to fly STS-117 in February, but that mission is almost identical (mirror image) to the just-flown STS-115 and is very heavy, so NASA wants to fly it on the lightest of the three Shuttles, Atlantis

I realize that NASA used newer versions of TPS material and more efficient materials on each progressive Shuttle, hence Atlantis being lighter than Discovery, and Discovery being lighter than Columbia.

But I'm suprised the last off the line Endeavour is heavier than Atlantis. Is this because it was built mostly from spare parts and wasn't able to match the optimal mass of a factory-build like Atlantis?

Thorny

Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:06 am

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 4):
But I'm suprised the last off the line Endeavour is heavier than Atlantis. Is this because it was built mostly from spare parts and wasn't able to match the optimal mass of a factory-build like Atlantis?

NASA discovered that Columbia had been greatly overbuilt, so when the next two new vehicles off the production line came along (Discovery and Atlantis, Challenger being a rebuild of a test article) they reduced weight and structural strength all over. Then a funny thing happened: NASA found that they'd reduced weight too much and Discovery's and Atlantis' wings were now underbuilt. So when they started building Endeavour, they added back some of that weight.

The difference now between Discovery and Atlantis is, I think, the plumbing that was put in Discovery for the Extended Duration Orbiter pallet, which NASA left in as an option for future needs even though the only EDO pallet was lost with Columbia.