L-188
Topic Author

How Long Would The US Have Been Giving Away F4U's

Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:47 pm

Hey guys. Maybe I am thinking of this only because I have "Flat Top" with Sterling Hayden in the DVD player at the moment-Basicly a rip-off of "Wing and a Prayer" with Don Ameche and Harry Morgan except with a Corsair Squadron instead of a TBM one.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jerome Zbinden

Trying to do a bit of figuring here.

Pretty much I am trying to figure out how long after retirement the US goverment would have been surplusing F4U's to other countries.

I have two firm dates to work with....

One is December 1952. That is when the last F4U-7 came off the line for the French Navy.

I have heard the USNR kept their F4U-4's around until 1956, but can't recall where I head that.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Michael Vaeremans

I also know that a couple of Central American Air Forces operated the aircraft until the early 1970's.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Simon Thomas

So the question is, how late after the US would have retried the type, would they have been available as surplus to forgien goverments?

Any guess is welcome.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

kc135topboom

RE: How Long Would The US Have Been Giving Away F4U's

Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:54 am

IIRC, all of the Corsairs the French Navy got were new builds. Yes, both the USNR and USMCR flew the Corsairs until the mid 1950s, but all of them were late production (post WWII) airplanes. The USMC flew the type during the entire Korean War, as a ground support aircraft, and the RN flew theirs into the early 1950s. FMS of the F-4Us began soon after WWII (1947 or 1948), using mostly USN and USMC aircraft that were declaired surplus after the war.

So the answer to your question would be around 1947 or 1948, then later versions were made available to FMS again beginning around 1954, or so.

L-188
Topic Author

RE: How Long Would The US Have Been Giving Away F4U's

Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:15 am

Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 1):
IIRC, all of the Corsairs the French Navy got were new builds.

Yup and that was December of 1952, the AU-1's for the Marines finished up their production run a few months prior.

Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 1):
then later versions were made available to FMS again beginning around 1954, or so.

Agreed, you would have been able to pick up a Korean war rebuild F4U-4, -5 or AU-1 after that date. But the question still stands, how long afterward would they have realistically be available till?

I have heard rumors that some where sent to South America from the desert in the early 1960's but can't find anything to back that up.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.