747400sp
Topic Author

Was CV-64 Suppost To Be CV-63.

Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:31 am

I was told by many people that CV-64 the USS Constellation was supposed be CV-63 the Kitty Hawk. From what I have heard, when the Constellation was being built as the Kitty Hawk in New York, it caught fire, and it's whole hanger bay was in flames. The fire was so bad they had to sink her to put them out. After the fire the the carrier was refloated and her island was switched with to Kitty Hawks hull witch was supposed to the Constellation.

So what is the real story. I was told that there's signs that say Kitty Hawk all though the Constellation. Do any body know more about this story.

DeltaGuy

RE: Was CV-64 Suppost To Be CV-63.

Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:23 am

http://navysite.de/cvn/cv64.htm Has some info about damage the ship endured...didn't say anything about renaming or anything but it had mention of the shipyard fire.

Deltaguy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

kc135topboom

Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:20 pm

No, I believe the Kitty Hawk, CV63, was always the lead ship in the class. IIRC, CV-63 was conducting her builders trials at the time of Connie's big fire in the Brooklyn Naval Shipyard.

DeltaGuy

Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:16 pm

I've heard that the Forrestal has been moved from donation hold status to status as another SinkEx....the NVR lists it as so, making it a fishing reef. Hopefully this isn't true, because out of any of the retired flattops, this one deserves to be a memorial more than any of them, IMHO.

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

747400sp
Topic Author

Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:15 am

Quoting DeltaGuy (Reply 3):
I've heard that the Forrestal has been moved from donation hold status to status as another SinkEx....the NVR lists it as so, making it a fishing reef. Hopefully this isn't true, because out of any of the retired flattops, this one deserves to be a memorial more than any of them, IMHO.

DeltaGuy

Yes sadly it's true.  Sad

DeltaGuy

Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:46 am

Well let's hope something will stop it...this ship is quite historic. Unfortunately the Navy has the brilliant idea of easily disposing of ships by destruction.

At least it's better than scrapping, like the mess with Coral Sea.

Deltaguy

TSV

Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:05 am

Quoting DeltaGuy (Reply 5):
At least it's better than scrapping, like the mess with Coral Sea.

What happened with Coral Sea?
"I told you I was ill ..." Spike Milligan

DeltaGuy

Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:54 am

Coral Sea became a scrapping nightmare- it was decomm'd, stricken two days later, and sold for scrap two years later- sold to a scrapping company in Baltimore who I believe had some bankruptcy and other issues, not to mention the enormous cost of scrapping a CV- this was the largest vessel ever scrapped to that date, and with all the environmental laws surrounding it, it took 7 years for it to finally get completed. They tried to sell it to be scrapped in China, and it was almost ready to go, when the Navy blocked the move- no capital ships are to be scrapped in foreign countries- good thing. After much ado and a few fires, it finally gave up the fight.

Recently, they were cleaning out that old shippyard where they killed the Coral Sea, and they found a stack of old aircraft bombs (something like Mk-82's), apparently there were some hidden in the ship when they took it apart, and the scrappers simply hid them near the pier.

After that mess, the Navy is pretty much against scrapping another flattop- they'd rather just sink/scuttle/destroy the boat out at sea.

Here's some photos, kind of sobering. The last one is when the company halted work, and it sat like that for some years after. Shame they didn't keep the boat in the reserve fleet like they did with Midway, she ended up getting a second life.

DeltaGuy

TSV

Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:37 pm

Quoting DeltaGuy (Reply 7):
Shame they didn't keep the boat in the reserve fleet like they did with Midway, she ended up getting a second life.

Or they could have given the whole thing to the same City where they gave one of her anchors to ... (You'll have to guess where that City is). Only thing is she probably would have ended up a floating Hotel! Would of been a great Heliport though.

halls120

Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:20 pm

Quoting DeltaGuy (Reply 3):

I saw the Forrestal and Saratoga the other day when I was up at Newport. Very sad to see them as derelicts.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

studedave

Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:05 am

Yes, it is sad to know the Coral Sea get cut up. I made her last cruise in '89.
The last time I saw her was when I went up to Philly with my squadron at the time (HS-17) to make an attempt at getting underway on the Kitty Hawk after her SLEP, back in 1991 or so.

I see xUSS Midway just about everyday, and it makes me think of her sister. I hope to have my retirement ceremony onboard CV41 in September 2008, in memory of my first ship.

Delta Guy~ I can't 'see' those pictures you posted for some reason, can you please provide a link, or ???
Classic planes, Classic trains, and Studebakers~~ what else is there???

DeltaGuy

Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:36 am

http://www.hazegray.org/navhist/carriers/coralsea/ For some reason the photos went dead, they worked just fine yesterday...careful, they're not pretty!

Quoting TSV (Reply 8):
Or they could have given the whole thing to the same City where they gave one of her anchors to ... (You'll have to guess where that City is).

One went to the Citadel in South Carolina  Smile

Stude, my uncle had his retirement on the Midway...was a very impressive ceremony, they're pretty good about working it out for you.

DeltaGuy

studedave

Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:42 pm

Thanks for posting the link~ you were right, not a pretty site to look at...

That last pic before all the scrapping photos shows five of my squadron's six SH-3Hs up on deck, so it's all good!!!  cloudnine 

It kind of reminds me of the day we were 'in the neighborhood' of the USS Iowa (BB-61) the day she had her turret explosion. Yes, the rest of Carrier Air Wing 13 was onboard that day, but they made way for us and ALL SIX of our birds so that we could fly CV43's Doctors and Corpsmen to the battleship, and MedEvac all who needed to be. Alas, most injuries were just sprains and the like~ unless they were in that turret-  tombstone 

That was my first trip at sea...
Classic planes, Classic trains, and Studebakers~~ what else is there???

TSV

Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:51 pm

Quoting DeltaGuy (Reply 11):
One went to the Citadel in South Carolina

OK thanks for that. The other one that I was thinking of went to Townsville Queensland Australia as a memorial to the Battle of the Coral Sea.