Devilfish

Boeing To Begin Ground Testing X48B

Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:11 pm

A press release from Boeing says the company is about to start ground testing of the X48B Blended Wing Body built to their specifications by Cranfield Aerospace, Ltd. of the UK in preparation for flight testing early next year.

In contrast to previous threads' earlier focus on large capacity airlifter applications, would NASA's concern for edge-of-the-envelope flight dynamics and the USAF's interest in the project as a future military aircraft now center on weapons delivery or as an unmanned aerial vehicle for ISR?

http://www.boeing.com/news/releases/2006/q4/061027b_nr.html

Quote:
The X-48B's three turbojet engines will allow the 500-pound, composite-skinned, 21-foot wingspan prototype to fly up to 120 knots and 10,000 feet in altitude during flight testing.

OTOH, I think a single-engine version would make one super-cool personal Aerial Recreation Vehicle.  thumbsup 
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield

N328KF

RE: Boeing To Begin Ground Testing X48B

Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:14 am

Regardless of what they think over at CivAv, BWB units have "Air Force" written all over it. This (in different sizes) would be a superb replacement for various cargolifters and tankers.
When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'Present' or 'Not guilty.' -Theodore Roosevelt

TedTAce

Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:08 am

I love how this project is comming along. I don't care it they are mil(freight/Strategic) or civil or both. I want to see the real full scale things flying as soon as reasonably possible!!
This space intentionally left blank

lehpron

Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:48 pm

I first thought this was Boeing's hypersonic platform (X-50B i think) testing ahead of schedule (by 2 yrs!)

I'm glad they are pursuing these studies, just wish they could apply this "faith in technology and potential market" to others. It seems to me misguided to place faith something as long as we try and believ it will work, but other ideas will not (or ever work) work because we neither believe or are willing to try.

Quoting DEVILFISH (Thread starter):
OTOH, I think a single-engine version would make one super-cool personal Aerial Recreation Vehicle.

And the difference between this and an ultralight is...?

Quoting N328KF (Reply 1):
Regardless of what they think over at CivAv,

Their thoughts are driven by emotion, not logic. Big grin

I agree with any and all thoughts so far presented.

Quoting DEVILFISH (Thread starter):
The X-48B's three turbojet engines will allow the 500-pound, composite-skinned, 21-foot wingspan prototype to fly up to 120 knots and 10,000 feet in altitude during flight testing.

They used real turbojets in their model? Wow, I know while they are expensive and Boeing can afford three, would a more accurate turbofan have had any low-speed impact whatsoever?
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

Devilfish

Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:56 am

Quoting Lehpron (Reply 3):
And the difference between this and an ultralight is...?

It's the X-48B minus two engines and "ultraexpensive"? Don't know if that would get off the ground though.  Smile

Quoting Lehpron (Reply 3):
Wow, I know while they are expensive and Boeing can afford three, would a more accurate turbofan have had any low-speed impact whatsoever?

I haven't the slightest idea - but I'd venture to guess that envisioned full-size and payload would require high thrust ratings, so they put in three to distribute the stresses and scale down more accurately.

lehpron

Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:46 am

Quoting DEVILFISH (Reply 4):
haven't the slightest idea - but I'd venture to guess that envisioned full-size and payload would require high thrust ratings, so they put in three to distribute the stresses and scale down more accurately.

I wasn't talking about a fullsize engine. I meant, same thrust but with a bypass (a.k.a model turbofan) should do better than a turbojet. They even said something about

Quote:
validating engines

The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

Devilfish

Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:17 am

Here's another, but definitely intended for the civilian market.....

http://www.flightglobal.com/Articles...e%2c+energy-efficient+blended.html